The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yea very true don’t go much like in past.. so sounds like ur happy with new defenders..I heard they stiff is that true? I like to have at least little cushioning firm ride, not to much noise .....my old defenders was noisy...even tho my tires are in bad shape I not had problem with nails thank god.. The only thing I read on tire rack on the video tested , they wish the tire had little better in wet grip .Thank u for ur input...
Hi Angelina1982, The tires are some what soft, also a secure felling and handling. The grip is good. I tried to spin the tires on wet blacktop taking off from a stop sign, didn't spin. I also live in Ohio. Danny

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Jeepman, I appreciate ur in put , I agree.......if the snow was packed not ice it was ok..., I’m not sure which Michelin OEM was on mine, when I bought it used..they were better the defender.. they’re not cheap think paid 175.00 piece ... I fig they lasted better.. what tires do u run on ur van now if I may ask? Or any should stay away from? I’m pretty new in here is there any threads that talks about better tires on our van? The main thing looking for in tire is wet weather that don’t hydroplane and light snow... I live in Ohio.... What cause chunking? I had one tire store said probably bad batch they issues with old defenders @ one plants.....thanks you..
I still have the OE Michelin Energy Savers. Just took the winter tires off and put the Energy Savers back on today. This will be the last season for them, I'm thinking.

Reactions: Angelina1982

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've typically been a Michelin guy. With this van, I had never gotten more than 50-60% of the expected tire life, including 3 different Michelin models. Went Yokohama on one set and got less than half the rated mileage. The outer edges always wore out early, even if I ran higher air pressure in the low 40s.

This latest set I put on are Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring, and they are SUV/truck rated which have extra material in the treads and also reinforced (or better re-inforced) sidewalls with higher load rating. When I mentioned it to the guy at the tire store, he said "yeah, my mom drives a minivan and I always tell her to make sure to get the SUV/truck version of a tire. Some tires come in both, such as Michelin Defender." I responded that I would have appreciated him telling me that before I dropped $650 on the early worn-out Defenders currently on my van that were not SUV/truck rated.

The Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring are the quietest I've had on this van, and great handling and turns like butter when maneuvering in tight spaces like driveways and parking lots. The H/V rated version has 70k mile warranty and is cheaper than the Michelins as well. Made in USA. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Angelina1982, The tires are some what soft, also a secure felling and handling. The grip is good. I tried to spin the tires on wet blacktop taking off from a stop sign, didn't spin. I also live in Ohio. Danny
Hi Danny, thank u for ur input, so u know how our roads and winters are. can I ask did u ever have issues with nails or hitting curb by accident Lol , Ik I’m guilty at time sharp turns or drive thru getting food sometime there tight...I read online someone Hit a curb blew side wall bcz of being too soft , that kinda scared me .....even tho Michelin wore out the side wall been great Thanks..

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
I tried to spin the tires on wet blacktop taking off from a stop sign, didn't spin. I also live in Ohio. Danny
This is very weird as even my 06 DGC 3.3L wheels would spin even on dry pavement if you are not careful when you hit the gas pedal after a complete stop.

Just replaced tires on my 2017 DHC.

Bought the best tires Walmart had in stock that day, need them right away due to a flat on one of them.

Goodyear Viva-015, can't complain.

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Well since LTs were mentioned, some of the best tires I've had on this can were Lionhart LTs. They had massive tread, great grip, but were heavy. Took more pedal effort to stop, but the extra rolling mass helped maintain speeds and surprisingly didn't affect acceleration.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Angelina, I'am a pretty good driver and don't have a habit of hitting curbs. Michelin tires do have thicker sidewall than most other brands. Danny

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Hi Danny, thank u for ur input, so u know how our roads and winters are. can I ask did u ever have issues with nails or hitting curb by accident Lol , Ik I’m guilty at time sharp turns or drive thru getting food sometime there tight...I read online someone Hit a curb blew side wall bcz of being too soft , that kinda scared me .....even tho Michelin wore out the side wall been great Thanks..
You know, now that I re-read this, I did have a blow out from hitting the sidewall and think it was on the Michelin tires, but can't be certain. However it wasn't a case of soft sidewall. The tire was pushed off the rim and then pinched when I came off the curb.

Whole reason I struck the curb is to avoid an erratic driver who suddenly turned toward me. Was only going about 15mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You know, now that I re-read this, I did have a blow out from hitting the sidewall and think it was on the Michelin tires, but can't be certain. However it wasn't a case of soft sidewall. The tire was pushed off the rim and then pinched when I came off the curb.

Whole reason I struck the curb is to avoid an erratic driver who suddenly turned toward me. Was only going about 15mph.
Oh wow, glad no one got hurt.. idk, I guessed I been lucky with that.. I do recall in past experience, I had blow out or two , think it was good year or kelly tires... which if recall kelly is made by good year..

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Oh wow, glad no one got hurt.. idk, I guessed I been lucky with that.. I do recall in past experience, I had blow out or two , think it was good year or kelly tires... which if recall kelly is made by good year..
Kelly Springfield is a Goodyear line of tire. So are Douglas and Republic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1) Angelina1982 made reference to a bad batch of tires sometime in his past. I am a firm believer in "bad batches" of tires. It's not an epidemic but my time here on Earth has shown me too many clinkers randomly popping up.
I believe tire companies make the carcasses and the tread/sidewall parts but the liquids they reduce to make rubber can vary. They go from their bargain brand to their name brand and the vats don't get remixed carefully enough.
Can't prove it but thanks for reading.

2) A pair of junkyard Cooper CS4s were among the VERY BEST tires I ever had. The Goodyear Eagle RS-As on my car now (installed by dealer) have been called "a good tire" by some and "deadly" by others. I drive slow and steady and wear tires evenly so I didn't listen to the freak who told me they would kill me.
Cooper CS5s are tops on my shopping list

3) Mavis tire has some "Comfort Grip" (or some such name) with 11/32 tread....80,000 UTQG rating and are value priced. I may try them.

4) I'm torn as the General RT43 so often mentioned has become the official tire of car boards.

5) Maybe the OP is just driving harder than he cares to admit.

6) When I go gas I'm going neon or krypton in my tires. Then I lay in wait for some teeny-bopper to expound the virtues of nitrogen....BAM, I hit 'em with an inert gas he never heard of and watch his face twist up. Fun.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Load is another factor that can affect tire wear, especially in city driving. A full family and gear can add several hundred pounds that those tires have to keep cornering, stopping & accelerating back up to speed.

FWIW- I got around 38k on my OEM Michelin Energy Savers (even wear, mixed driving). Replaced with Goodyear Assurance FuelMax CS (Goodyear recommended the CS version for minivans or SUVs, and Sam's Club had 'em for great price). Very happy after a year or so- smooth quiet ride, decent handling in all conditions (tho obviously not a dedicated snow tire), and little signs of wear so far. Clearly better all-around than the OEM Michelins (which were just OK). Will try to remember to update as I accumulate more miles on the Goodyears.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

4) I'm torn as the General RT43 so often mentioned has become the official tire of car boards.

5) Maybe the OP is just driving harder than he cares to admit.
4) I have prior exorience with the General Altimax RT43 tires, plus they are what we have now. I’m pretty happy so far.

5) I do move pretty fast from lights when they go green, but don’t drive hard in any other way. Just to answer your thought. I’m using hand control and do not turn corners at high speed. I drive normally, except I hate going slow when the light changes.

Load is another factor that can affect tire wear, especially in city driving. A full family and gear can add several hundred pounds that those tires have to keep cornering, stopping & accelerating back up to speed.
My power wheelchair weighs 275 pounds, and that is often the only thing my wife and I carry around in it. Oh, I forgot the full size spare, which was the most recent replacement of a Goodyear Assurance tire, the brand that wore down so quickly. I’’m not sure weight of those two things would have the effect you mention, especially since all the other vans and tires we had before lasted longer than these with the same exact cargo .

’I think Jeepman (I think it was him) was right about tire pressures. I’m trying to stay on top of that this time around.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts