The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Sometimes the door placard pressure is too low. The ambient temperature is a factor as well. Tire pressure should be adjusted based on wear also.

36 psi or 38 psi at midday, or after driving, could very well be 34 psi in the cool of early morning and no driving. For every 10F rise in temperature, there is a 1 psi rise in pressure. Shops don't allow for that.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The reasons why my tires may have worn out early seem to be:
1. City driving
2. low tire pressure, possibly due to crazy temperature swings here.
3. Soft tread material (M+S tires) - however, I'm still waiting for a reply about that.
4. not using nitrogen
5. not being as lucky as Levy. :) (just kidding there)

Did I miss any?

Reactions: LEVY and Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
1. City driving
2. low tire pressure, possibly due to crazy temperature swings here.
3. Soft tread material (M+S tires) - however, I'm still waiting for a reply about that.
4. not using nitrogen

Did I miss any?
Your big reason is low air pressure/lack of proper air pressure management.

Softer rubber doesn't apply for all season tires. Every all season tire has the M+S symbol, but not the mountain snowflake symbol.

Winter/snow tires tend to have softer rubber and they have the mountain snowflake symbol.

LEVY is a very lucky guy, IMO. He leads a good life. (y) :)

Reactions: LEVY

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
3. Soft tread material (M+S tires)
4. not using nitrogen
Did I miss any?
I usually fill my tires with 38 psi of nitrogen. When I travel, I rise it to 43.

That might help too.

My N.Gen. now shows 43 Hrs. I guess I left it on.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Do you think if I tell the guy I want them at 38 that he will do it? Or do I need to find a friend who will do it for me? ( I have disabilities, in case anyone didn't know).

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
Do you think if I tell the guy I want them at 38 that he will do it? Or do I need to find a friend who will do it for me? ( I have disabilities, in case anyone didn't know).
Yes, as long as you have good tires and don't go over the tire pressure rating.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Yes, he/she will. Your may want to do some calculations though based on:
  • time of day the air is being added
  • any additional heat in the tires because of driving
  • A change of about 10F will change pressure reading by 1 psi.
Here's what my 2016 Owner Manual says about tire inflation:
Tread Wear
Improper cold tire inflation pressures can cause abnormal wear patterns and reduced tread life, resulting in the
need for earlier tire replacement.

Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always “cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure
is defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least three hours, or driven less than 1 mile (1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of three hours.

The cold tire inflation pressure must not exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall.
Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with
temperature changes.

Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind
when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter.
Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition.
Starting with 38 psi (instead of 36 psi) and 32F as a reference outside temperature locally, I make calculations as to what the pressure gauge should be showing at the actual time of observation.

You have likely been effectively running 33 to 34 psi in your tires.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts

Starting with 38 psi (instead of 36 psi) and 32F as a reference outside temperature locally, I make calculations as to what the pressure gauge should be showing at the actual time of observation.

Really? :oops:

I never do any "calculation", just check the tires before I drive for the day.

Every time I check tire pressure is ok.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Really? :oops:

I never do any "calculation", just check the tires before I drive for the day.

Every time I check tire pressure is ok.
Depending on the season of the year the average cool 7:30 am morning temperature may be say 32F. I could be checking the tires in the afternoon when the temperature is at 52F. My 38psi at 7:30 is now 40 psi. per calculations, and that is what I expect to see. My nitrogen free tires are wearing even. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

Wow, I read through the owners manual but somehow missed that that was there. Thanks so much for pointing it out!

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have questions, I have 2001 DGC sports..I’m having issues with my last set tires.. I got Michelin defenders(reg) not t&h..my tires 5 yrs but only 15,000 miles on them they r shot. I never had tires this bad b4.. I going try 2 share pics.. I have chunking on tires only Michelin tires..my back r ok except there 10yrs n dry cracking The tred is good...they r Bridgestone weathered force..I got my money worth, I got over 100,000 on the BS.... I have 163,000 on van...only had get new tires 3x since got them.. OE was Michelin, 1 was kelly tires,2 Bridgestone 3 Michelin...it goes thru Michelin said they pay 80% of 2 new tires... I won’t believe till I see tires on my van...tire store claim I can pick any brand, I tho u had stay with Michelin or BFG ...if have choice what does everyone recommend? I live rural area.. I seen dkf 747 saying he has set of Gen-altimaxr43 wonder if he still happy with them? I read they have soft side wall and can get easily side wall puncture? Idk.. I do in city driving, some gravel rds bcz of living rural...I appreciate any help..thank you..if pics go thru one will be flash pic, the other reg...

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was just at a tire place getting our tires rotated. After, they told us 3 of them have 4/32 tread left. One is a newer tire that replaced on8e that went flat and has 8/32. The problem is that these tires were new in March 2018, and only have about 17K miles on them. The original tires went 45K miles. I drove the originals hard, and went through so much more than the replacements (Goodyear Assurance). The alignment is fine. I rotated them faithfully. I don't get why they have worn so quickly. I never liked these tires, but that can't be the reason :) They were purchased because we didn't have enough for better tires at the time. It wasn't worth going cheaper.

We will be replacing them with, most likely, the General Altimax RT43s soon. Those were the best tires we had onour 4th Generation DGC, so we hope to have the same experience on this van.
Do u still like ur General Altimax Rt43? Do they have a soft side wall?

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
The older model Michelin Defenders did not wear well on my vans, nor did they have the "expected" winter traction. May as well have been driving on slicks. Their updated Defender T+H tire is likely better as I think it has more material in it, per the Tire Rack site.

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
The Michelins I had were very brittle. Not sure what line they were. Grip was so-so. They did a great job holding the road in puddled water, but starting from a stop they would tend to spin on wet asphalt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I replaced the factory Michelin Energy Saver tires after 72K miles last January. My best overall tires I've owned. I now have Michelin Defender T&H with 6K miles. Not many miles but no place to go lately. Nice ride, handle great, VERY quiet unlike the energy saver. I will do full review at 10k miles. For $700. out the door, time will tell. Danny

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
I replaced the factory Michelin Energy Saver tires after 72K miles last January. My best overall tires I've owned. I now have Michelin Defender T&H with 6K miles. Not many miles but no place to go lately. Nice ride, handle great, VERY quiet unlike the energy saver. I will do full review at 10k miles. For $700. out the door, time will tell. Danny
I'm happy with the Michelin Energy Saver tires also. They wear long and even. All tires get noisier as they get older. I found the old model Defenders got noisy fairly early in their life.

Construction of the new Defender T+H:
Internally, two wide steel belts are reinforced by a single ply of polyamide to stabilize the tread, improving steering response and tire life. The two-ply body casing is constructed of polyester cord to balance durability and ride comfort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The older model Michelin Defenders did not wear well on my vans, nor did they have the "expected" winter traction. May as well have been driving on slicks. Their updated Defender T+H tire is likely better as I think it has more material in it, per the Tire Rack site.
Jeepman, I appreciate ur in put , I agree.......if the snow was packed not ice it was ok..., I’m not sure which Michelin OEM was on mine, when I bought it used..they were better the defender.. they’re not cheap think paid 175.00 piece ... I fig they lasted better.. what tires do u run on ur van now if I may ask? Or any should stay away from? I’m pretty new in here is there any threads that talks about better tires on our van? The main thing looking for in tire is wet weather that don’t hydroplane and light snow... I live in Ohio.... What cause chunking? I had one tire store said probably bad batch they issues with old defenders @ one plants.....thanks you..

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Michelins I had were very brittle. Not sure what line they were. Grip was so-so. They did a great job holding the road in puddled water, but starting from a stop they would tend to spin on wet asphalt.
Sienile, I agree with u in wet weather, I felt the hydroplaning right after I got them and it scared me to death.. I tho being brand new they wouldn’t hydroplane.... yea spinning, I had too..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea very true don’t go much like in past.. so sounds like ur happy with new defenders..I heard they stiff is that true? I like to have at least little cushioning firm ride, not to much noise .....my old defenders was noisy...even tho my tires are in bad shape I not had problem with nails thank god.. The only thing I read on tire rack on the video tested , they wish the tire had little better in wet grip .Thank u for ur input...

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
Sienile, I agree with u in wet weather, I felt the hydroplaning right after I got them and it scared me to death.. I tho being brand new they wouldn’t hydroplane.... yea spinning, I had too..
I didn't have hydroplaning issues, just slipping when rolling from a stop. They were great in water after they got rolling.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts