The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,669 Posts
Don't forget the green valve caps. What colors do you have available?

Sounds like a pretty slick machine you have there.
I only have green caps, for some strange reason to me, some use blue caps.

Only 10 hrs. of use when I took this picture, probably 11 now.

·
Super Moderator
25,091 Posts
How much do you charge? I'll drop by and get mine filled up. Does the robot J.U.N.O. sign autographs?

Where's Achmed these days. Hope he's not left out in the cold. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The tires are the plain old Assurance All seasons. No fancy names added after Assurance.
dkf747, what are the readings on the tire itself? Specifically the treadwear number and if "M+S" (mud and snow, softer rubber) is present. I purchased tires that didn't specifically say they were snow tires, but the treadwear was 500 with M+S. Mine seems to chew through those in 2 - 3 years.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
dkf747, what are the readings on the tire itself? Specifically the treadwear number and if "M+S" (mud and snow, softer rubber) is present. I purchased tires that didn't specifically say they were snow tires, but the treadwear was 500 with M+S. Mine seems to chew through those in 2 - 3 years.
Interesting. It says M + S 225/65R17 102T. Are you saying that that is the reason?

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is if the outside edge is wearing down quickly, check the camber. I had a problem where I wore down the outside edge of the tires within 10K on all 4 tires on my van. I had taken it back to the place that did the last alignment and they said it aligned just fine. When I was doing the tire rotation myself I saw the right front strut had oil/dirt running down the sides. Turns out that strut was blown out and I could almost perceive the van sat 1/2” to 1” lower on that side compared to the other up front.

Long story short I ended up replacing all the suspension parts at 92K (bought it all off of Amazon) for continuity, aligned it and put on a new set of tires. Ever since I haven’t had the issue with the wear being so badly off. So don’t discount suspension components being a culprit (as they control camber in this case) which can also cause excessive wear despite being “aligned”.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Those look like new! I'm jealous.

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Use of nitrogen maybe? ?
[/QUOTbut tE]

I had the same Kumho tires, but they only went 45,000 or so on regular air. If Nitrogen is the only thing you're doing differently then we should consider it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,669 Posts
I had the same Kumho tires, but they only went 45,000 or so on regular air. If Nitrogen is the only thing you're doing differently then we should consider it.
I'm always on the highway, that could make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
25,091 Posts
I just had chance of take a pic. Those are O.E. Kumho tires. You don't see signs of aging either.

They look very nice. No stress marks either. My theory is that you drive so fast that you only touch the pavement every so often. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Highway driving makes a huge difference. Lateral (turning) and braking forces are both low and infrequent.

I drove my GC to Florida right after I took delivery. After 2,000 miles, the tires still have the little nubs that new tires have.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You said that earlier, but it does make some sense. Amazing difference. Here's what my Kumho tires looked like at 45,000 or so. The alignment was obviously bad back hen, but is not an issue now.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
They look very nice. No stress marks either. My theory is that you drive so fast that you only touch the pavement every so often. :)
By golly, I think you've got it! That has to be it! ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Which Kumho tires do you have? Mine were Kumho Solus Kh16.

·
Super Moderator
25,091 Posts
You said that earlier, but it does make some sense. Amazing difference. Here's what my Kumho tires looked like at 45,000 or so. The alignment was obviously bad back hen, but is not an issue now.

View attachment 57212
That's a low air pressure issue since you have high wear on both edges. Hard cornering with low air pressure are a combo for outer edge wear. Your tires aren't worn to the wear markers in the center portion.

These vehicles are pretty rock solid on the camber also.

Low air pressure is the early ruination of many a tire. It happens all the time but the blame goes elsewhere. An alignment isn't going to produce much unless parts are replaced, like tie rod ends. If no parts need to be replaced, there should be no alignment problems. My vehicles have made it through pothole season year after year without any need for an alignment.

Now, is LEVY going to say that he has never had an alignment done. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I had the air checked as often as I could. I never paid as much attention to tire pressure as I did for those tires. At the time, he tech did say I needed an alignment. We had it done. It's not an alignment issue with the current tires though. The guys who check my air pressure always do it to the pressure on the door label.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts