The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Chrysler Town and Country Limited
3.8L 279,579 Miles. (Totalled)

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited
3.8L 201,309 Miles (Transmission failed)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport
3.8L 159,680 Miles (Sold)
Love these model vans though

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Our 01 DGC EX just hit 284K+ miles. Original engine, trans. and AC compressor. (Had to replace the ac condenser back in 2015, because I poked a hole in it, trying to remove the radiator.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have owned an 02 Chrysler 3.8 for over a year, replaced transmission at 278k with only 111k miles from failing 03 voyager 3.3, still currently running now as daily after complete overhaul, having electrical issues and replacing harnesses and computer twice, but love none the less only paid 800, and at 298k running smoother than it has in years

·
3rd gen > all others
3,452 Posts
Have owned an 02 Chrysler 3.8 for over a year, replaced transmission at 278k with only 111k miles from failing 03 voyager 3.3, still currently running now as daily after complete overhaul, having electrical issues and replacing harnesses and computer twice, but love none the less only paid 800, and at 298k running smoother than it has in years
Impressive, but the mileage after swapping the transmission is accumulating faster than it actually is unless you swapped the transfer gears from your 3.8 transmission (or you're running bigger tires). Still, it would give a nice bump up in torque. I love reading these high mileage stories.

My 2004 T&C Limited awd has over 205,000 miles now, the 2000 T&C Limited and a 2001 DGC Sport ES awd that I bought for parts both have (had) 225,000 miles and could be the original transmissions as far as I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just now retired:
Dodge
Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L V6
as of today 246532 miles

Replaced with 2012 Grand Caravan SE Plus 43,211 miles

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't have the most miles, but I HAVE to share this with everyone.

When I took my mini in for an oil change a woman in her 60's brought her mini in for something. It was the exact same as mine. I asked her the year and it happened to be the same as mine, a 2006.

I asked her if she mind telling me what she brought it in for and she told me it was losing air in one tire and the place she took it to couldn't get the tire off, so she came to "my" mechanic.

So, the conversation went on and I asked her how she liked her minivan. Do you know what her response was?

"Well, I just bought it." Inside my head, JUST BOUGHT IT? IT'S A 2006 AND THIS IS 2020, YOU JUST BOUGHT IT???

She went on to say, "My husband is really ill with cancer and can't move very well and we needed something where we could take all of his things back and forth and him in the car, so I got this. It had over 200,000 miles on it, but it had a really clean record..."

I BLANKED OUT AFTER 200,000 MILES! SOMEONE BUYS A CAR WITH OVER 200,000 MILES ON IT TO TAKE ALL OVER THE PLACE WITH HER SICK HUSBAND IN IT AND THE ONLY THING IT HAS WRONG WITH IT IS A FLAT TIRE?!!!!!!

WAS SHE NUTS?!!!!!!!!! A RELIABLE CAR, 2006 WITH OVER 200,000 MILES ON IT?? It did only have a flat tire, but STILL!

Then she says, "I think yours is in better condition than mine." It was not. Hers was PRISTINE, just an ugly color while mine has black sparkly paint. Her's was a light turquoise. Like "The Chameleon" in SNL. Or is that my car now? I have some minor dings on my mini.

Imagine, buying a "new" second hand car that has OVER 200,000 MILES ON IT! I can't.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,249 Posts
She went on to say, "My husband is really ill with cancer....

I BLANKED OUT AFTER 200,000 MILES! SOMEONE BUYS A CAR WITH OVER 200,000 MILES ON IT ...
WAS SHE NUTS?!!!!!!!!! A RELIABLE CAR, 2006 WITH OVER 200,000 MILES ON IT?? It did only have a flat tire, but STILL!

Imagine, buying a "new" second hand car that has OVER 200,000 MILES ON IT! I can't.
What's wrong buying a car with over 200,000 miles?

I would buy it on the spot if everything is in good condition and the price is right.

Also, with the medical problem her husband has, her budget probably was low.

No, she wasn't nuts, you probly are for sharing this story the way you did.

In my opinion, nuts those who pay $76.00 for an oil change, or $5,000.00 for an AC work. What do you think about those guys, are they nuts?

Sorry but not everyone have the money to buy the car they really want, you buy the car you can for your situation and needs.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
if a tire pressure issue is the only thing she's coming in for with that vehicle, it sounds like she made a good choice

·
Super Moderator
26,844 Posts
200,000 miles, working good, in good shape (maybe in better shape than its Owners), no mice attacks, no rust attacks, right price - if all those things line up, then the vehicle can be very affordable reliable transportation for another 10 years, 100,000 miles plus. Then she can buy the OP's van and drive it to the grave. :)

Getting the wheel off is a story yet to be told. I hope all went well there. Likely a job for a lug nut remover socket
or a torch.

Remember driving an ageing Ford (don't drive Fords anymore) once, thinking "this vehicle is long in the tooth and needs to be replaced". Came upon a brand new Ford, in the middle of a high traffic volume rotary, stone dead waiting for a tow truck. Then I said "think I will keep this vehicle for a while longer". :)

Sold a 2002 DGC back in 2018, 230,000 miles, original A/C working great, original struts, water pump, engine, transmission, rocker panels, lock actuators, radiator, etc.. The fellow that bought it drove it daily for a couple of years, even though he had 4 or 5 other vehicles, and then sold it to a friend in need at the other end of the province. It may still be providing reliable transportation for all I know. These vans can be tough. Like the land, these vans were made for you and me. (y)

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,386 Posts
My dad bought me a '93 Altima on eBay with 260k+ on it for $305 back in 2004. I drove a lot back then. I went to college, worked off shore with a company 2 states away, hung out with a lot of friends when home, raced, towed trees out of the road after storms (mainly Katrina), etc. It was my one and only car until 2012 when it developed piston slap on #1 at 947k.

200k+ miles is nothing if the car is well maintained. Mine had ragged out suspension and a broke wire issue that the owner couldn't figure out, caused it to stall on light starts at times (first time it happened to me, I fixed it next day), then it had been in a minor flood with no apparent damage. But the engine and manual trans had been well taken care of, aside from that broken wire.

Reactions: Jeepman and LEVY

·
Registered
65 Posts
What's wrong buying a car with over 200,000 miles?

I would buy it on the spot if everything is in good condition and the price is right.

Also, with the medical problem her husband has, her budget probably was low.

No, she wasn't nuts, you probly are for sharing this story the way you did.

In my opinion, nuts those who pay $76.00 for an oil change, or $5,000.00 for an AC work. What do you think about those guys, are they nuts?

Sorry but not everyone have the money to buy the car they really want, you buy the car you can for your situation and needs.
My family always, always, always got rid of a car nearing 100,000 miles. We never kept it for more than 80,000. My ex husband's family, any car nearing 50,000, it was time to go out and get a new car. My dad worked on our cars too. So, coming from that background, you can't fault me for thinking this way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also, my current mechanic said, "Yeah, these minivans are good cars." I was thinking, "Yes, I do see you quite often with something going on with my minivan, don't I? I keep you in business."

And this last time I called him he said, "Well, I haven't heard from you in a while." Which made me think, DO I REALLY HAVE A GOOD CAR OR NOT? Are minivans really a good car or was he just wanting me to keep lining his pockets?

Hmm. I've been told by many a mechanic and my insurance company that when a car hits the 90,000 to 100,000. mile mark, there are going to be a boat load of dollars going into a vehicle at that point.

Perhaps my mini hit that point when my mechanic made those comments and it was just coincidental. And that could be the reason my family always looked for a new vehicle at the 80,000 mile point.

Also, Jiffy Lube charge me $75.00 for an oil change. I thought that was outrageous. They said it was at a discount too. I never went back again. I found my current mechanic on YELP and have been seeing him, even though he's grouchy. One of his guys retired and they've been less grouchy, but I like this guy and he WAY, WAY, WAY more reasonable with is prices. He called me "Darlin". LOL.

Five out of five stars, so he's a keeper. NOT JIFFY LUBE. I also had bad luck at AutoZone. I was charge two different prices for two different antifreezes and when I brought up the more expensive price to an associate who sold me the lesser costing antifreeze, he looked completely disgusted. I guess you have to know when you are being ripped off and I was ripped off at AutoZone the first time.

The same for wipers on another vehicle. $100.00. I said NO THANK YOU. I found them for way less online. And they were some off brand. Be careful and do your homework before hand, unless you have no choice and are stuck in a bind.

Live and learn I guess,

LoveMyMini

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, she had to REMOVE the tire. The other mechanic could not remove it. It was STUCK LIKE GLUE on the vehicle.
Also, I have no idea what the inside of hers looked like. The outside was nice, but perhaps nothing worked on the inside. The inside of mine is pretty nice, but I like to keep it up as much as I can. Right now the backlight slowly went out I noticed, one at a time. It started with the top cigarette lighter. I replaced the fuse, but it went out again. After the lighter, the power light went out on the ac/heater button and then some of the other parts. I have another post about it. I may try to repair it myself or give up and take it to my mechanic to repair. But, everything else works. DVD player even and I have all parts too. Even the headset with the navigation system. Does anyone else have theirs to their 2006 minivan? I have the manual too, in it's black case. I have the sale paper that was in the window too :) I have the mats. Everything. I have pictures of the outside on another board.

LoveMyMini

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also, I have no idea what the inside of hers looked like. The outside was nice, but perhaps nothing worked on the inside. The inside of mine is pretty nice, but I like to keep it up as much as I can. Right now the backlight slowly went out I noticed, one at a time. It started with the top cigarette lighter. I replaced the fuse, but it went out again. After the lighter, the power light went out on the ac/heater button and then some of the other parts. I have another post about it. I may try to repair it myself or give up and take it to my mechanic to repair. But, everything else works. DVD player even and I have all parts too. Even the headset with the navigation system. Does anyone else have theirs to their 2006 minivan? I have the manual too, in it's black case. I have the sale paper that was in the window too :) I have the mats. Everything. I have pictures of the outside on another board.

LoveMyMini
I should start a poll, who has all their original parts to their minivan and does it all work?

·
Registered
48 Posts
2007 Grand Caravan C/V 3.3 - 329K miles and climbing. Ex NAPA delivery van - rubber carpet, rear seat delete, aftermarket bulkhead.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
HEY WOWEE. Willie1, you deserve a three tiered cake for this accomplishment! I don't think anyone has more miles than you, but I could be wrong though! WAY TO GO!!!!

I have hopes for my baby now. She's been "bumped" a few times. Once REALLY BADLY and I think it was by my neighbor who has moved back to Saudi Arabia. I was friendly with his daughter and wife. I thought he looked familiar, LOL. But, since that accident my girl has some "issues" that were not caught during the major repairs, unfortunately. I just check her out often to make sure she's okay.

There is something odd that happens and it's reoccurring from day one when I got her with very few miles on her. She has "low air" in one tire. I've had new tires on her and it still says "low air" on the same tire, so there must be something in the whole tire thing that makes the tire leak air? It's not a constant thing, but every winter the message comes on and I think I can actually see the tire looks a little more deflated and if I drive long distances in the summer time the message goes off too. One of her lovely quirks, I guess.

I'm shooting for the over 300,000 mile mark since I've seen it here by our friend Willie1, but I don't think my girl will make it, but I have high hopes,:love:. I do have sunnies that have heart shaped rims. One in red and a pair gold to wear in my mini.

LoveMyMini

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,249 Posts
HEY WOWEE. Willie1, you deserve a three tiered cake for this accomplishment! I don't think anyone has more miles than you, but I could be wrong though! WAY TO GO!!!!
Yes, you are wrong.

Also, high miles accomplishment should be if you are the original owner or buy it with very low mileage, otherwise you just have a high mileage vehicle, nothing to be proud of.

This is the reason Chrysler presented you with the high mileage license plate holder only if you were the first or second owner.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts