The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 town and country with a 3.3l has a Whinding noise in top of motor that sounds like it needs power steering fluid but i cleaned the screen flushed the system still winds new water pump got fed up took belt off to see if it made a difference and still makes same noise and now i know its not ps pump or alt any ideas

Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
When our '02s water pump began to fail, there was a whine for about 2 minutes after a cold start. Never was able to identify the source. The WP did not leak out of its weep hole.

Finally, about 1500 miles later, the engine started to run hot so we we replaced the pump. Noise gone.

Of course, if the drive belt you removed also drives the WP, that should have eliminated the noise... :whistle: 馃槆

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
When our '02s water pump began to fail, there was a whine for about 2 minutes after a cold start. Never was able to identify the source. The WP did not leak out of its weep hole.

Finally, about 1500 miles later, the engine started to run hot so we we replaced the pump. Noise gone.

Of course, if the drive belt you removed also drives the WP, that should have eliminated the noise... :whistle: 馃槆
[/QUOTE[/Q[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Wp new i thought that was issue and thats my point confused because belts off and it still whines was sitting before i bought it but drove fine 3months then on way home other day it started making the noise even went as far as looking in to the transmission found nothing

Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE

[/QUOTE[/Q[/QUOTE
Wp new i thought that was issue and thats my point confused because belts off and it still whines was sitting before i bought it but drove fine 3months then on way home other day it started making the noise even went as far as looking in to the transmission found nothing
[/QUOTE]

There is an old thread revived recently this week among this topic. Talks about an emissions vacuum line and some whine noise. Something about a suction line back to the fuel tank.

At the top of the engine is also the PVC located on the back side. Got to thumb around to find the hose to the air intake plenum. If it's clogged enough, there may be a whine. It's behind the PS reservoir and around the left.

fix it if you can
went as far as looking in to the transmission found nothing
Welcome aboard,
Did you check ATF level (per Chrysler instructions, Idling after shifting all gears, level ground)? (@Jeppman, posted about quick and dirty check for level at the 'crook' of dipstick when off and cold)
What RPM is the engine idling at when warmed up? (if over 650-700, could be vacuum leak)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard,
Did you check ATF level (per Chrysler instructions, Idling after shifting all gears, level ground)? (@Jeppman, posted about quick and dirty check for level at the 'crook' of dipstick when off and cold)
What RPM is the engine idling at when warmed up? (if over 650-700, could be vacuum leak)
Friend said tranny pump it shifts to 2nd n whinds in revs freely wont go 50 n if i try red lines before hits 45

Registered
i would've said that earlier but you said the sound comes from the top of the engine

if it doesn't shift out of 2nd it's in limp mode

what check engine codes do you currently have?

fix it if you can
Friend said tranny pump it shifts to 2nd n whinds in revs freely wont go 50 n if i try red lines before hits 45
Sounds like the transmission is in "Limp Home" mode, giving you only mechanical 2nd gear and reverse.

You can try the "key dance" procedure to pull OBD codes (but it only pulls "generic" codes) - if you can pull the trans codes that might point you in the right direction.
In any case, check the input and output speed sensors, ATX relay, and solenoid connector - with any luck it could be a simple fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts