The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Keep in mind, I'm the daughter of an old mechanic who had no sons so I was the one helping with things, I know just enough to do some things and just enough to be dangerous but not enough to actually "know" what I'm doing.

I have been looking and looking over the web as to where I can locate the AC drain hose for my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan with no luck.

Background Information

Last week my blower resister burnt out so I replaced it. Everything was working fine until today when the blower completely stopped working. I took the cover from under the passenger side dash down to get to the blower and notice that the material was damp and then when I took the blower out I notice droplets of water coming from the hole in the bottom of the blower motor. I let the blower dry out and hooked it back up and it worked fine. I'm thinking that it may be water getting in from the AC condensation because a drain hose is blocked and it got on the motor and caused it to stop working?

I have looked and looked on the engine side of the motor and can't seem to find the drain hose. Is it on the bottom side of the van or am I just not looking for it in the right place? How large of a hose are we talking and how far out does it stick?

Sorry for so many questions but this is driving me nuts not being able to see this drain hose.

Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I can't comment on your vans, drain location, but most drains are a small hose sticking out from the firewall. Some drains come out of the box that's in the passenger foot well area.

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
1,983 Posts
On these vans the drain goes through the floor rather than the firewall.

I have read here: 2008 T&C A/C drainage, that you need to remove a heat shield to access the drain (you might have to drop the spare tire too).
I found the drain underneath the hump, but I had to remove the heat shield insulation from underneath the car. Blew some air through the drain, and water poured out and it was fixed. Thanks!
This document: RCRIT-10V611-4254.pdf, from the NHTSA website will show you where the drain is located inside the vehicle.

(edit 4-13-2020 updated link to NHTSA)

Reactions: Active8 and JC1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Georgef Thank you so much for your response. I had no problems locating it after reading your post and links. had to remove a heat shield and there it was!

It was not clogged so its time to move on to other reasons.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
1,983 Posts
Georgef Thank you so much for your response...
You're welcome, and thank you for confirming the drain is hidden under the heat shield.

...I had no problems locating it after reading your post and links. had to remove a heat shield and there it was!...
Were you able to remove the heat shield without dropping the spare tire?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I would add a few pictures. The drain tube is "behind" the heat shield. In my opinion a stupid design as it stays wet for long periods of time as the water drains behind the heat shield! We have a 2010 T&C with a lowered floor for a wheel chair ramp so it may look a little different. The single exhaust pipe with the catalytic converter is routed down the "tunnel". The tunnel is covered with a heat shield. At the rear part of the heat shield there is one 11mm nut on a stud that needs to be removed. Then, there are four plastic fasteners that are threaded onto studs, two on the driver side and two on the passenger side. If you remove the two on the driver side and the most rear fastener on the passenger side you can pull the shield away from the tunnel to reveal the drain tube. I didn't get a picture of the drain tube. I've posted pictures of the rear 11mm nut and an image of the plastic fasteners. The fasteners are a bit of a pain to remove. Pull away from the stud as they are threaded off of the stud. You can use compressed air to blow out the drain tube. A long compressed air "gun" would make it easier. Ultimately, I will probably cut a hole in the heat shield and extend the drain tube down the outside of the shield so water doesn't sit between the shield and the body. Spare tire wasn't an issue as it was moved to the rear compartment when the floor was lowered. Thanks to the info in this thread I was able to figure this out quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, 2010CTC. Your description was perfect for my 2018. The spare tire did not have to come down (but I did anyway). I took off the metal heat shield, which is held on with the 11mm but you described, plus an 8mm head screw. Then the PITA plastic nuts, pulled back the flexible heat shield, saw the tube, poked it with a stick, and took the bath. All in, maybe a half hour. Thanks again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
On these vans the drain goes through the floor rather than the firewall.

I have read here: 2008 T&C A/C drainage, that you need to remove a heat shield to access the drain (you might have to drop the spare tire too).

This document: RCRIT-10V611-4254.pdf, from the NHTSA website will show you where the drain is located inside the vehicle.

(edit 4-13-2020 updated link to NHTSA)
Hi

Thanks to georgef for that link.

Looking through it the detail is very helpful.
Although are there any differences when the vehicle is RHD, & does not have a 3.6 litre engine, & instead a CRD?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts