The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving 04 Town & County Touring on freeway in traffic, felt the Tranny starting to slip. Pulled over, placed in park then attempted to restart her. She wanted to start but wouldn't turn over. Had to have her towed home. There is nothing leaking.

About 3 weeks prior to this replaced the blown Tranny with one from junkyard.

Any ideas???

·
Super Moderator
23,756 Posts
Sounds like the engine was turning over, just wouldn't start. Please clarify.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,846 Posts
Sounds like the engine was turning over, just wouldn't start. Please clarify.
It DOES sound as if the engine (not trans) quit. Else it would have restarted. Perhaps something was jostled (connection?) during the installation of the replacement trans.

Still, I'd look for telltale sights of ATF leakage under the van. You never know.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It DOES sound as if the engine (not trans) quit. Else it would have restarted. Perhaps something was jostled (connection?) during the installation of the replacement trans.

Still, I'd look for telltale sights of ATF leakage under the van. You never know.
Van has to run before we can look at the transmission... (BTW, Heepman will advise that when level, cold, not running.. that the ATF+4 level should be up close to the twist or crook bend of the trans dipstick)

Basics*
You need, fuel, compression, and an ignition source (spark) for the engine to run.

- Do you hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds when you first turn the key to the on position?

- Does the engine even try to start or backfire?

·
Super Moderator
23,756 Posts
Van has to run before we can look at the transmission... (BTW, Heepman will advise that when level, cold, not running.. that the ATF+4 level should be up close to the twist or crook bend of the trans dipstick)
Interesting enough, yesterday I was changing the automatic transmission fluid in a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. It has a drain plug like any sensible transmission pan should have.

I checked the transmission fluid level, cold, engine not running at 2.75" from the end of the dip stick. That was a guide for later. After replacing the fluid, checking it hot and fine tuning it until the level was at top mark on the dipstick, I shut it down. Later on I checked it cold, engine not running and guess where the level was at, exactly.

The OP said "wanted to start but wouldn't turn over". That makes no sense to me and until he clarifies that I'm out. That's like saying "he wanted to breath but he was dead". :)

We definitely need more information to carry on a conversation.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
Engine turned over while cranking but did not start = fuel, electrical.

Engine didn't turn over while starting/cranking and noise = broken flex plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts