The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

What's the mileage on your 3rd

60K views 127 replies 77 participants last post by  Biopete 
#1 ·
Jealous of that Gen 4 thread about mileage? Time to show'em who's got the miles. :)

Yesterday from the driver's seat of my 1999 T&C:

See less See more
Reactions: Caraman99
#3 ·
Wife's DD, 1998 Chrysler T&C
173650 as of 1/1/16.

Had a 1998 Dodge GC that I donated for its second life. I donated it at 201050 in 2012.
That was 4 years ago. It took a year off and got rebuilt/reworked and now lives a new life as a van to help a shelter in KCMO. It had a bad transmission and rusted out shock buckets and bald tires when I donated it. The school that runs the donation center used it in their program to replace the shock buckets, replaced with a donated transmission, got new donated tires, and a fresh coat of paint.

#4 ·
That's just a baby! Barely broken in. :) Actually, mine is only about 5000 miles short of yours.

#5 ·
What's with these low mileage 3rd Generations? My 4th Generation 2002 GC Sport has 341,428 km / 212,154 miles and never been washed, it's too busy getting the job done travelling. :) Well, as to washing, nothing done this winter, leaving the Fluid Film in place for as long as possible, looking pretty dirty on the back end though. It's beginning to bother me, I will wash it some warm non ski day soon. Original engine, transmission, headlight lenses, interior light bulbs and more.

#6 ·

Next scheduled oil change I should be over 400,000 miles.

#7 ·
There we go. Now that's some mileage. I don't think it's the highest on here though. Memory ain't what it used to be but I thought someone on here had over 800 000 km.

#8 ·
It's been to at least 30 states, Mexico countless times and Canada once. My parents bought it new when I was a kid. I inherited it several years ago when my Stepfather passed away, I spun a rod bearing in my Toyota and permanently damaged my foot in a motorcycle accident around the same time.

The engine and transmission were replaced around 300,000 miles. The transmission was rebuilt but the shop forgot to fill it with ATF so it made it off the parking lot before it locked up and needed to be replaced. Just finished replacing the complete OEM front suspension, motor mounts, and tierods, it was starting to drive like an old pickup. Only other maintenance issues were a bad AC compressor on a summer drive to Florida, and a cracked radiator towing a trailer with a Morris Minor woody wagon on it over Loveland Pass in Colorado. 11,000 ft of elevation with a trailer behind you can be hard on radiators...

I've heard lots of people complain about the 3rd gen's reliability over the years, and worked on several lemons. But this 97 Grand Voyager Rallye is one tough SOB.

#10 ·
Everyone blames the vehicle, manufacturer, engineers, etc.
It usually seems to be the driver. Neglect maintenance and beat on a car every time you drive it, and it's going to fall apart no matter how sturdy it is. I always noticed that nice neighborhoods have a lot of older cars in them where you'd expect to see a new vehicle in every driveway. I figure it's because they are all well maintained.

Reactions: Robert H.L.
#12 ·
210396...yep think these things are bullet proof...good luck with mine considering many have not had the same...was reading through some posts yesterday on the interweb lot of five star reports on the positive side of how good these minis really are...I fit in that category...after looking for a good body shop to repaint mine found a shop I feel I can trust so took it in today for a complete repaint...sand it down to metal...fix the few small dents...repaint roof rack / flat black on inner side of fender wells...coat of sealer / primer / 4 coats of paint / 4 coats of clear / 2 1/2 weeks to finish...shop / owner / person doing the painting had a good positive feeling this will be done right...fixed a lot of stuff in the last year lucky crank shaft threading was a very good result...plan on keeping it to hit those milestones in the 350K + may die before getting that high unless I start driving this 24 / 7...congrats to those hitting that high mileage milestone that is some serious driving...figure ive put almost 190K on this one that took 18 years...but also had a lot of other cars owned to choose from...

#14 ·
My '99 GV has about 183,500 on it right now. I hope next week to replace the oil sending unit to fix a leak. Do an oil change at the same time.
Not sure about the wife's '98 Voyager, but I know it's over 175,000.

#16 ·
Reporting in with just over 211,000 miles on the 2000 T&C Limited. It's now been demoted to material hauler, winter driver and back-up family hauler if the rear seats are reinstalled. The thing has some decent accelleration and gas mileage without hauling around the extra 150 or so pounds of unused seating.

#17 ·
We have about 315,500 miles on our '98 GV. It almost left us stranded for the first time today (except for one time when I ran it out of fuel). Problem was apparently some spilled pop on the trip computer (which, due to retrofit, sits on the floor or on items between the seats). Jiggling the trip computer made the CCD bus come back to life and let the vehicle start up. Fun. :)

- G

#18 ·
Congrats that's one dependable high mileage van...just turned 211804 today on mine runs excellent literally have fixed everything except the ghost in the wipers...damn things go off all the time with as little as hitting a speed bump...315K is impressive and true to form how well these minis are built...

#20 ·
Mine had crossed over 190,000 miles when it was stolen 1-1/2 years ago, no pic...

-Andrew

#23 ·
A few questions:
  • How much coolant and how often?
  • What does your oil look like? Cloudy or milky?

I ask because the two "O" rings in the timing chain cover have been known to leak coolant down into the oil pan.

#28 ·
Sorry to hear about your leaks! I also had to do my intake manifold gasket at about 200,000 miles IIRC. Very slight coolant leak had developed. Never heard of anyone having freeze plug troubles though.

- G

#31 ·
Finally hit 400,000 miles last month, pushed it the last tenth of a mile. Down a hill of course...

#32 ·
1996 Voyager SE 2.4L, ~230,000 miles, original owner. Biggest things I recall were changing to MLS head gasket to stop oil leak, timing belt bearings failed twice causing strandings, 3 spd transmission lost reverse 3 times - once due to torn servo piston seal, once due to broken rear band, and currently disabled w/ trans out investigating (bad front oil leak). On the plus side, still on original wheel bearings front & rear, driveshafts, heater core, ball joints, struts, steering components, and many other things that were wear items in vehicles thru the 1980's. I did re-ring the engine when I changed the head gasket at ~100K but they still had in-spec ring gaps and cylinders still had honing marks.

#33 ·
Just made over 134,*** with our '99 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. We've had it for about a couple of months and enjoying it. Still fixing or replacing little things here and there.