The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
I replaced the battery in the 2011 Sienna today. My wife had to get a jump start from a friend at the lake/beach with the kids last night. Today it started and ran fine. Removing the old battery, I suspect the problem was the negative terminal contact was sulphated and couldn't deliver the amps to start. It wouldn't even click. I kept the old battery and took along an older one for a core. The old van battery had been installed in April 2015, so I wanted to replace it anyway for peace of mind. I bought the highest level Interstate battery i could get for the van, for $150. It has 750cca instead of the 650cca of the old one.

I got it home and cleaned up the terminals with a wire brush battery post cleaner. I even cleaned the terminal bolt threads and coated with antiseize. I removed the battery tray and saw a couple of ground points there, so removed and cleaned them and coated with antiseize before putting the tray and battery back in. Once the battery was bolted down and terminals were connected, I coated the terminals with petroleum jelly to keep them clean. Started it up, it ran for 3 seconds and died. Computer said not to turn power off, it was loading. Okay, weird but must be a new car thing. Restarted it when that was done and it started and ran as normal. It should now be reliable again. I wrote down the battery replacement in the van's log book (original/previous owner started it, so I'm continuing it so this vehicle has a history). We got the van with 85,000 miles on it and it now has 130,000 miles and we've taken it to 5 states. (y)
Fluid Film would have spared you using those jams and jellies, :)

Was that a spray anti-seize you used? I have heard of spray type anti-seize but never used it. I don't remember even seeing it on the shelves.

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
I looked at my van to see why the radio and dome light took a dump the last time I drove it, and why the idiot lights in the cluster were acting strange. I had the radio turned up very loud, when it just quit.

I found that the IOD fuse was very corroded inside. It was either open, or just needed pulled to reset the system. I cleaned the socket and replaced the fuse. Problem solved.
Wouldn't have had that problem if you used a FRAM oil filter. :)

Good sleuthing to solve the problem. What lead you to the IOD fuse? Just checking fuses?

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan C/V
65 Posts
Wouldn't have had that problem if you used a FRAM oil filter. :)

Good sleuthing to solve the problem. What lead you to the IOD fuse? Just checking fuses?
Just checking fuses, and then I did a search on the 'net when I didn't see any that were obviously blown/open.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Today: alignment, new tires, and a wash.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
And today...
Pulling the Optima out of my old Bonneville, loading up the kids in my G8, driving 10 miles to the mall parking lot where the wife is, rigging the battery to kinda sorta fit in the van well enough to drive home on it's juice, and replacing the van's alternator.

I'd take it in for warranty replacement at the $100 deductible but the nearby dealerships won't take me till late next week. That's not gonna work for me.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
...and an oil change.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,828 Posts
Just used the brush-on aluminum anti-seize.

Today I went to the junkyard and got a pair of struts, a sway bar, and a fuel pressure regulator for my sister's Rendezvous. Then I got what i really went for - a solid 3rd gen hatch for my 2000 Limited. It has dents, wrong color (blue, not dark gray) and doesn't have the rear window defroster, but the only rust is a one inch long part of lower right seam that is starting to bubble (easily fixed). Mine is so rusted that if I try to remove rusty metal, the hatch seal won't keep out exhaust fumes so easier to just replace it. I'll just spray paint it the closest color I can find and swap my parts over, and install it and be happy. Only $55 so it was worth it (plus it was the only 3rd gen they had, they are getting rare!).

We used the Sienna tonight and took the kids out of town, and showed them the comet Neowise under the big dipper. Used a cheap binoculars, but the kids loved it. My wife had never seen a comet before either, so she said it was worth it. I saw Hale-Bopp in 1997, so wanted to use this as a really cool homeschooling experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Apparently I let the Prius sit too long. Went to go wash the Jeep yesterday, and the Prius was completely dead. As it was pulled in, I couldn't jump it again, so I took the battery out and went to the dealer today to get a replacement. Swapped the battery out and all seems to be well, after letting it sit for about 30 minutes to get everything back to normal.

...hoping to wash the Jeep tonight lol

·
Super Moderator
24,373 Posts
Apparently I let the Prius sit too long. Went to go wash the Jeep yesterday, and the Prius was completely dead. As it was pulled in, I couldn't jump it again, so I took the battery out and went to the dealer today to get a replacement. Swapped the battery out and all seems to be well, after letting it sit for about 30 minutes to get everything back to normal.

...hoping to wash the Jeep tonight lol
Gotta stop washing the battery. :)

Reactions: UN4GTBL and georgef

·
3rd gen > all others
2,828 Posts
Went to the U-Pull-it yard because they got in a 1999 T&C in dark gray, same as my 2000. Was hoping to get the hatch, as I just bought a blue Caravan hatch that was dented and missing the rear window defroster grid. It was the only part missing from the van. It only had 140,000 miles on it and looked clean! I would have traded my 2000 for it because of the lack of rust. It did not belong in the junkyard. So, I got the hood and the driver's side sliding door for my 2000. My hood has scratches and lots of clear coat flaking/gone, and my sliding door was rusting out where the door seal is at the rear corner (other sliding door on my van is rusted past that and gone). That should improve the look of my van, and keep the exhaust gasses out of it. I need to drive it while I'm doing the engine/wiring swap in my 2004.

I also got another pair of rear CV shafts from a 2003 AWD, and driveshafts from that 2003 and a 2001. Sadly, both driveshafts were dented and bent by the forks they use to pick up/set vehicles in the yard. Basically bought them for the joints at each end, to rebuild straight shafts. Wish I would have had time to get the transfer unit out of the 2001, as it was clean so I know it was a rebuild replacement. The van will probably be crushed this monday or tuesday. 😢

Reactions: Jeepman and Michalb

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
464 Posts
This morning, I replaced the original starter on our '09 GC 4.0 with 172k miles on it. Only 2 bolts attach it to the block, even though there are 3 holes in the starter and the steel shim/spacer. This was an easier job than the starter on my '05 GTO, mostly due to the sufficient room to get my hands in there. I removed the fan assembly, lower O2 sensor, and heat shield around the cat. converter, and was able to snake it out and the new one in without much issue. The original starter was just clicking occasionally, and would eventually turn over after several attempts. Battery is fairly new and was checked out just to make sure.

Next up is replacing the solenoid pack since the transmission has been locking into 2nd gear again. It was doing this last year, and the fluid/filter change was a band-aid and kept the problem away, but now it's time to fix the real source of the trouble.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
20 Posts
A little late, but this past Saturday I finished a project about a month in the making- 'restoring' my '13 T&C

Sure it's not terribly old, but 7 years in the family (more specifically this past year with my brother using it while I was away at college) haven't treated it too kindly. Everything was cosmetic, but with spending so much time at home I figured I'd give it a shot.
First, there were a few rust spots, namely two starting to form on the passenger front door and the passenger rear wheel well, and the entire bottom of the passenger sliding door was completely rusted. All of that was repaired and re-painted, and it looks almost new.
The passenger rocker panel was rust stained and very rock chipped, so it got a new coat of paint as well.
The chrome trim on the passenger sliding door was cracked- got replaced.
The right headlight had a hairpin crack that allowed moisture in so I replaced the entire unit with one from CARiD- the driver's headlight got a meguiar's restore treatment and looks almost brand new. I also replaced the bulbs in the marker lights that I never knew existed because they've been burnt out for so long.
My brother at some point hit someone in the walmart parking lot and cracked the front bumper, so that got expoxied and both bumpers were re-painted. It looked like he hit more than one car, but with two different traffic violation tickets, this incident, and wrecking my stepdad's prius in an empty parking lot at midnight after only having his license for a week ALL since last august, I am lucky that the minivan is relatively unscathed.

Along with all of that, both wings of victory inserts were replaced on the front and rear, a piece of broken seat trim was replaced, and the USB cover on the radio was replaced as well. I also found the awesome 'Imported from Detroit' plate frame and slapped that on.

These photos came after a hand wash + wax and honestly this took almost a month but was totally worth it. I've completely fallen back in love with it and I'm so happy with the results! :)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,828 Posts
Nice work! Rust really shows on a white vehicle and it would bug me. That does look good in white, though!

Last night I painted the top of my 2000's replacement hatch black (it's blue) and finally swapped the replacement hood onto the 2000. The clear coat on the old hood had peeled badly, and I found a matching one from a 99. This is the 3rd time I've replaced the hood on this van. Original hood rusted out, next hood had scratches and a few dings, the hood I just removed had light hail damage, scratches, and the peeling clearcoat, and now this hood which is factory paint with 140,000 miles (van has 225,000 miles). It's still parked for now, but looks better from the street!

Reactions: Baron and iudecis

·
Registered
883 Posts
i'm having my brand new transmission do some of the funky stuff my old one did, like, identically

i found a great deal on refurbished and reprogrammed TCMs for these vans so i figured i'd give it a shot to see if there's any difference

at this point i've essentially had every single thing that has input into the way the transmission shifts replaced besides the engine itself and the TCM, so if changing the TCM doesn't make a difference then it's simply an A604 mystery ☺

removing the TCM usually calls for jacking up the vehicle and removing the wheel but i can't do that on my sloped driveway and i also enjoy suffering so i did it with the wheel still on

this is my first time personally taking a wrench to anything on the outside of this van other than my lights and battery

i had to move my horn out of the way to get to the last bolt, it seems like my horn is different and a lot bigger than the ones i saw in the tutorial videos

there's nothing visually wrong with it, no holes or anything, no salt on the roads down here

i had to remove it to get the item number and serial number off it so they can program the new one

if nothing changes i'll return the refurb one and get my money back, not really interested in wasting money with the parts cannon when i have a lot to do this winter on my AC system

161 - 175 of 175 Posts