The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I cannot believe that you spent at least 5 times the value of the van...
if it's 2700 that gets me 1000 more miles then it was dumb, but if it's 2700 that gets me 20,000+ more miles then it's a very smart investment

even the mechanic was suprised at how good the condition was of everything else on my van, aside from the paint ☺

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
if it's 2700 that gets me 1000 more miles then it was dumb, but if it's 2700 that gets me 20,000+ more miles then it's a very smart investment

even the mechanic was surprised at how good the condition was of everything else on my van, aside from the paint ☺
Still, you never know what's next... from now on you can expect the worst... 20,000 miles + more money regardless the transmission working great :(

·
3rd gen > all others
2,781 Posts
The main thing is, he knows exactly what he has. That is the main reason why I don't like changing to a new, unknown vehicle. Newer isn't always better. More problems with more expensive stuff to fix, or that has to be taken to a dealer vs. DIY repair.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Not on my vehicle, but it is time to refresh nitrogen on this generator's trailer tires.

This trailer remain parked on the same place for long time, so it is well worth it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
i took my van out for a real drive today to see how everything feels now with the new transmission

honestly, it's pretty much the same, just smoother, a little more consistent, and a lot more powerful

another talk with the mechanic revealed that my old transmission's pan was apparently "full" of metal fragments, so this was an issue for it for some time

more evidence goes to levy's "don't change the transmission fluid" opinion, as when i first got this van going again and had the fluid changed there was a normal amount of metal in the pan for it's age, so this has degraded in between then and now

the "weird" things that my old transmission did still happen with this one, so along with that and what people say here it's safe to say that's just how the A604 transmission shifts compared to the other cars i've driven

i also finally found something negative, no more cruise control

i'm sure one of the vacuum lines got torn up or cracked during disassembly of all that, should be an easy fix even for me

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
Not on my vehicle, but it is time to refresh nitrogen on this generator's trailer tires.

View attachment 58687

This trailer remain parked on the same place for long time, so it is well worth it.
Are those rust stains on your truck? :)

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
i took my van out for a real drive today to see how everything feels now with the new transmission

honestly, it's pretty much the same, just smoother, a little more consistent, and a lot more powerful

another talk with the mechanic revealed that my old transmission's pan was apparently "full" of metal fragments, so this was an issue for it for some time

more evidence goes to levy's "don't change the transmission fluid" opinion, as when i first got this van going again and had the fluid changed there was a normal amount of metal in the pan for it's age, so this has degraded in between then and now

the "weird" things that my old transmission did still happen with this one, so along with that and what people say here it's safe to say that's just how the A604 transmission shifts compared to the other cars i've driven

i also finally found something negative, no more cruise control

i'm sure one of the vacuum lines got torn up or cracked during disassembly of all that, should be an easy fix even for me
I believe you have a vacuum line to a vacuum storage space in the battery tray. Check that out. Also the line to the servo. Is the cable unhooked?

Output speed sensor but that would cause limp mode.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I believe you have a vacuum line to a vacuum storage space in the battery tray. Check that out. Also the line to the servo. Is the cable unhooked?

Output speed sensor but that would cause limp mode.
i'm wondering if it's a cable instead of vacuum line because i get NOTHING at all

the on button does nothing, if it was a line i'd think it would turn on but just not work

i'll take a look in there tommorow

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
i'm wondering if it's a cable instead of vacuum line because i get NOTHING at all

the on button does nothing, if it was a line i'd think it would turn on but just not work

i'll take a look in there tommorow
Sounds electrical.

·
Super Moderator
24,182 Posts
You wish.

No, I'm not going to fall in your Fluid Film scam. ;)
Are you saying Fluid Film is snake oil? Too much of a lanolin aroma to be associated with a snake.

You can use it on your construction boots. Repels snakes.

:)

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
60 Posts
Removed left/front valve cover to see if the oil galley bolts were loose & tighten them if necessary (they were tight).

Replaced the valve cover gasket and upper intake gaskets.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
The main thing is, he knows exactly what he has. That is the main reason why I don't like changing to a new, unknown vehicle. Newer isn't always better. More problems with more expensive stuff to fix, or that has to be taken to a dealer vs. DIY repair.
I was not talking about replacing the 2001 van with a 2005 or even 2007 van, in which case you are right... but with a much younger one... at least 2015 and low mileage! Any old van can have issues and not everyone is a DIY -er ;) $3,000 would be a very good downpayment!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
I had the dash slightly apart again looking for some wires, and I noticed that the dash speakers I got from P&P seemed to have a lot of dirt and grime on them, even though the speaker grille seemed like it wouldn't be able to let such large pieces through. The trucks they came from were quite clean vehicles, and seemed well taken care of and non-smoking vehicles, which makes me wonder why they had so much dirt and debris on them in the first place.

So, for all 3 dash speakers I removed the grilles, and with a damp microfiber cloth I gently removed all the dirt and debris then re-installed the grilles. They sound slightly better now!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
I've slowly been getting the Prius up to my standards:

Finished the paint decontamination with IronX and a clay bar:

Then washed it again, and got it into the garage to start the paint correction:

I also cleaned up all of the door jambs, the area around the tailgate hinges was especially dirty, but all good now:

So it begins:

·
Super Moderator
6,291 Posts
Apparently the prior owners used a kitchen scrubber to get off tree sap or something in multiple locations:

And regularly used a snow brush or worse on the paint:

A 50/50 shot of the hood. You can see the area to the upper left of the light reflection that I have corrected, and the rest of the hood hasn't been touched yet:

I only have the front bumper and front passenger door to polish now, and then I will coat it to protect the paint, and keep it easy to wash! As well, I plan on getting the windows tinted soon too.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I also cleaned up all of the door jambs, the area around the tailgate hinges was especially dirty, but all good now
Are you the 'mother in law' on duty? Looking under the carpet? :unsure: 🤣

121 - 140 of 156 Posts