The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
don't they rub the wheel wells over bumps or when turning lock to lock?
Front right had rubbed a little of the plastic liner, but that corner was too low. I found out my suspicion was true; I had quick struts on the front, and they were cheap ones! The springs were junk. I think if I had OEM struts on the front it wouldn't have rubbed. Nothing rubs now though, because I put the other Pacifica strut in today and test drove it! I'll have to get pics tomorrow or later as the weather permits, but I no longer fear potholes. :) I did have to temporarily delete the sway bar end links, as they were too long and wouldn't fit.

I also got a pair of cheap black headlights to match my van. I don't trust cheap headlights, so I sealed all around them with clear silicone.

Now that the front of the van is lifted, the headlights actually light up the road! The foglights are finally not totally useless either! The headlights are still foggy, so these newer lights should help anyway. I've also been cleaning up some rims (bead corrosion) and filling in the bad areas with JB Weld, as the rim on the right on the table shows with the dark gray. I'm taking pics of that process as well, since the pitting is so bad that bead sealer does nothing. Out of work for the next couple of weeks, so finally doing some stuff to my van and contributing here!

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Front right had rubbed a little of the plastic liner, but that corner was too low. I found out my suspicion was true; I had quick struts on the front, and they were cheap ones! The springs were junk. I think if I had OEM struts on the front it wouldn't have rubbed. Nothing rubs now though, because I put the other Pacifica strut in today and test drove it! I'll have to get pics tomorrow or later as the weather permits, but I no longer fear potholes. :) I did have to temporarily delete the sway bar end links, as they were too long and wouldn't fit.

View attachment 57634

I also got a pair of cheap black headlights to match my van. I don't trust cheap headlights, so I sealed all around them with clear silicone.

View attachment 57635

View attachment 57636

Now that the front of the van is lifted, the headlights actually light up the road! The foglights are finally not totally useless either! The headlights are still foggy, so these newer lights should help anyway. I've also been cleaning up some rims (bead corrosion) and filling in the bad areas with JB Weld, as the rim on the right on the table shows with the dark gray. I'm taking pics of that process as well, since the pitting is so bad that bead sealer does nothing. Out of work for the next couple of weeks, so finally doing some stuff to my van and contributing here!
Good call on sealing those headlights. Saves some time later probably.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
The ounce of prevention in this case, IS the cure. I could see underneath that corner of the lens to the reflector, so it wasn't sealed completely. They were only around $70 on Amazon, so a $5 tube of silicone and they should be just as good as the more expensive ones. Funny, they included a sheet with pics explaining how condensation is caused by so many things, and probably not because of the low quality of the headlights. What a bunch of bull! I knew I was buying cheap, so I was prepared to put a little more work into them before installing.

I got some pics of the lifted van today, to show the difference. Some before/after shots:

It's now an SUV - sport utility van. (y) I hope the rear gets lifted a little with the short helper springs I have, because then it will be perfect. I still have to center the steering wheel, but it doesn't pull to either side when driving and I believe the camber stayed where it was because of my method of strut installation. I drove it on my regular route to work, and took the freeway home for 2 miles and it drives much the same as it always has. The front is a touch stiffer because of decent springs, but it is comfortable and not unbearable. Once I find some sway bar links, that should take care of the front lean on curves.

I heard a slight plastic rubbing turning sharp right to take this picture, so I will need to make room with the plastics on the fender. There is no metal fender left under the plastic splash guard on this side - rusted away to nothing! Too rainy to do anything with it now. Maybe later I'll find some good black fenders at the junkyard (which is closed now because of the virus), or I'll just weld some more steel onto the bottom and spray it black. I also need to get rid of that running board, which is rusted out under the rubber cover. Looks better without it anyway. Hope the weather clears up so I can work on this some more.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
I've been working on the rear brakes lately. I've replaced the parking brake shoes, hardware, bellcranks, rear rotors, and new brake pads. Today I added my short under-the-leaf helper springs and rear mud flaps, after replacing the right rear brakes. I even changed the rear right caliper. I found some newish rear calipers and rotors at the junkyard last fall, so I cleaned up a caliper and the rotors and painted the cast areas black. Hope to keep the rust away for a while. After all of that I had hoped my parking brake would finally work again - - nope! Apparently the pedal must've broken or slipped, because it won't fully return or pull the brake enough (it pushes easily). The brake worked this fall, although it always had a hard spot. One day it pushed past that hard spot quickly, and then I had no brake. The left rear bellcrank was seized so I thought that was the problem. Maybe forcing the brake on broke something in the pedal/cable interface. Guess that will be the next part I look for in the junkyard (unless I saved the one from my parts van).

Ride is slightly stiffer. I love the new ride height. The rear isn't even now; 3" tire to fender on left side, 4" tire to fender on right side. Barely half a tank of gas, and no rear seat. I'll have to look into it further, to gain another inch on the left side. Found a lot of rust under the plastic dogleg panels - and not much for steel doglegs left!

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Looks like the P0128 code has come back on our Caravan. Swapping the thermostat doesn't look terrible, but I've never done anything with coolant before, so need to figure that part out.

I removed the dealer plate covers from the Prius over the weekend.

And, I had the dealer replace all 4 of the tail lights on the Cherokee, as they had moisture in them (again) - it was a no contact interaction - key in the drop slot, call them, and leave the vehicle, and then come back and pick up outside after they were done with it.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
Finally removed the other running board today, as it was mostly rust with a plastic cover. I also removed the front splash/mudflaps that were covering the lower part of the front fenders. Now I have to make some room at the wheelwell seam and reform the plastic inner fender to clear the front tires better. I loosened the front tie rod ends and adjusted them to center the steering wheel, much better now. The van now pulls right slightly, and pulls harder while accelerating so I need to adjust the alignment (probably torque steer/bump steer from the new ride height). Looks like front right tire needs more toe-in, and left front wheel has a little negative camber so that would cause it.

Still haven't found sway bar end links that fit perfect yet. I got some 9" long ones and fit one side, but it makes the sway bar hit/push up on the tie rod end at wheel lock. Thinking of trying one from a Windstar next, as they are 10.4" long so may be a perfect fit. I'll post the info and pics when I finally find the perfect fit.

I just discovered today that the Town & Country fog lights (4th gen) ARE adjustable! There is a red knob on the backside that you turn by hand to raise/lower the reflector to aim the light. It looked like it was just a cover for the air vent for the light housing, until I turned it and it wouldn't come off. I watched the reflector while turning and it moved! All this time I could have adjusted the fog lights up. They are difficult to access anyway, but nice to know it can be done. I still want to use the Dodge Grand Caravan bumper and fog lights to be different, and those fog lights are adjustable from the front with a screwdriver very easily.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Super late, but I'll add to this anyways...

Replaced the thermostat on my parent's van with no problems - and thus gave me the confidence to do coolant changes in the future, and thus avoid dealerships.

I also used my Jeep and my parent's Caravan to move all of my stuff to my new place with my wife. Thanks to the Jeep's hitch, and my buddy for his trailer, it all went off without a problem.

I had a few minutes to clean my parent's Caravan afterwards, but my Jeep and my wife's Prius both need a good cleaning now.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
Congrats on your wedding, and making a new home together! Refreshing to read about people moving forward in life, while regular life is sort of in limbo right now.

I finally got my parking brake working again today. I got a different parking brake pedal and front cable from U-Pull-It, to cover whatever broke this fall. I was interrupted by rain during the install, so I didn't get the lower dash put together yet.

Pulled the cable right out of the barrel-end still in place on the pedal assembly. My new pedal has a good rubber pad on it. :) Parking brake works perfectly now. I also prepped a new radio/center dash bezel. I had to cut the upper switch slot wider for the heated seat switches, and installed that switch assembly. I have the dark wood trim now, and am switching to the carbon fiber-looking one for a change.

I cleaned up some front rotors I got from the junkyard with a wire cup brush on my angle grinder. One pair for my 4th gen van, and one pair for my 3rd gen (which I wiped with gear oil and put into a plastic bag to store). During my last yard visit wednesday I scored a brand new, in the bag rear caliper! The front calipers were also newer, along with the front hoses and rotors. Poor van had a broken upper strut mount on driver's side, which pulled on the brake hose on that side so I didn't use that one. Looks like someone had bought new brakes and was in the process of putting it all in, when the strut mount broke. Looks like it was a replacement strut, as the spring had a thick vinyl coating (the passenger side didn't). Sucks that the replacement strut broke; speaks to the inferior quality of quick struts nowadays. Owner probably had $400 in parts in that van recently. Shame. More spare parts for me though.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
It's an essential business, new and used auto parts stores, dealerships, auto sales and service. Anything auto related is open because essential employees need cars to get to work. The yard actually closed up for about a month voluntarily, to protect it's employees and put new safeguards in place. They cleaned up the yards, repainted the lobby floors, and fixed fences. They also had to crush some cars that didn't get the full 3 month exposure for parts, because they needed the money. Sucks because they had 2 black vans with good fenders that I needed, and they crushed them. Black vans are rare, as are good front fenders. Victims of the virus.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's an essential business, new and used auto parts stores, dealerships, auto sales and service. Anything auto related is open because essential employees need cars to get to work.
OK, not in Canada... only repair shops are open... not auto sales or parts... no auctions... only the service section of dealerships...

·
3rd gen > all others
2,705 Posts
Our different states have different controls in place, and different ideas of essential workers. Even the quarantines aren't the same between states (some don't even have them). Ours is more relaxed thank goodness; no papers needed to be out and about, you can do outdoor activities as long as physical distancing is followed.

Today I finished putting the lower dash together after installing the parking brake pedal yesterday. Then I swapped out my woodgrain center dash bezel for the carbon fiber one. While I was at it, I swapped out my RB1 radio/navigation for the RBU CD/radio/cassette player. I never used the navigation anyway, and now I can jam to all my favorite music on tapes! Plus, I'll now have a clock that I can see without the radio being on.

After that, I tried shimming up my driver side rear helper leaf spring to make it stiffer. It still didn't correct the one inch height difference between sides. I have a full tank of gas now, but would it make that much difference?

I then moved to the front driver's wheel for pictures of how I made clearance for the bigger tires. My winter wheels didn't rub, but were VERY close and I wanted more room for snow on the tires in the winter. My summer wheels use 10mm spacers to clear the brake calipers, which makes the tire rub the plastic liner. I pounded down the body seam and used a heat gun to try to reshape the liners to give more room.

I still need to trim the bumper cover a little, but will wait until I put my other bumper cover on to trim it. Tires aren't rubbing the front anyway, so no rush on that.

I also installed a different sway bar end link today, and it clears everything and fits! I did have to relocate the ABS sensor wire bracket on the frame, because there was a grease zerk on the upper SB end link that would've hit it while turning. Well, maybe not unless the front suspension was completely unloaded but I wasn't going to take a chance. I removed the brackets from the wires and switched them side-to-side, then drilled holes to remount them farther rearward. After putting the jack on the lower ball joint and jacking it up to simulate road attitude (other front wheel on the ground to level front suspension) I cycled the steering lock to lock and there was clearance for everything. Success! Now I just have to get another end link for the other side (junk yard just had the one good one). End link is from a Ford Windstar 1995-2003, MOOG part #K8702. This is combined with a Chrysler Pacifica wagon strut assembly and a 1 1/4" thick upper strut mount spacer from Tema4X4. It was too dark to take pics of it tonight, so I'll get them when I swap the front brake rotors and pads.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
OK, not in Canada... only repair shops are open... not auto sales or parts... no auctions... only the service section of dealerships...
Where do you live? here in Alberta everything you mentioned is open except large gatherings which include auctions, parties, restaurants and such. I could walk into any stealership and get a new car. Pick and pull has written that it is a essential business, which it is. In smaller cities I can understand, you don't need a car in small places. But in large cities, it's a must unfortunately.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
Lol, for this thread's topic I bring what I have done to my van the last 4 months on my 09 GCV:
-Upgraded base cluster without tach to the SXT cluster with tach and info display (not evic)
-Added compass module, activated compass module
-Added automatic headlights
-Went from the base head unit to the REN (without Sat radio sadly and I cannot seem to get U-connect to work)
-upgraded to the premium 9 speaker plus sub infinity sound system, including the amp (had the base 4 speaker system)
-Added auto dim center mirror
-Added remote start
-Added remote start antenna for an extended 90 meter range
-Added OEM chrome mirrors with turn indicators, heated mirrors, and auto dim driver mirror
-Upgraded manual 3 zone temperature controls to 3 zone automatic temperature controls
-Added cabin air filter housing
-Added OEM center map light (which shines to the center console when headlights are on)
-Swapped out all 4 infinity 6X9's from 09 to infinity speakers from a 03 SXT
-Swapped out all 3 dash tweeters for ones from a 06 Ram truck (higher quality cone material, same infinity speaker otherwise)
-And lastly, today swapped out both rear D-pillar infinity tweeters for ones that came from the 1" center channel infinity speaker in a 07 ram truck (same speakers, just a higher quality cone material)

To do:
-Find a cluster with the EVIC in Km/Hr or find one in MPH and re-code to show mileage in kilometres, swap out the printing to show speeds in km/hr. Add EVIC buttons to steering wheel
-Add smart-beam auto high beams, and whatever else the EVIC needs to function properly (possibly TPMS system swap, adding sensors and modules)
-Add fog lights (this has been a nightmare, considering a kit at this point :( )
-Add chrome accent front bumper
-Add chrome door accent panels, including both upper and lower accents.
-Power folding mirrors (I have not seen a van equipped with these yet, might not have been an available option)

I don't really plan to add these features as i won't actually use them and because family members talked me out of it:
-Power sliding doors
-Power liftgate
-Blind spot monitoring system (Park assist included)
-Dual overhead VES screens
-Power inverter
-Premium center console
-Rear camera

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Where do you live? here in Alberta everything you mentioned is open except large gatherings which include auctions, parties, restaurants and such. I could walk into any stealership and get a new car. Pick and pull has written that it is a essential business, which it is. In smaller cities I can understand, you don't need a car in small places. But in large cities, it's a must unfortunately.
I live in Mississauga, ON and we do need a car but you don't need to buy one exactly now... so it is not an essential service... so many people are visiting the dealership just to take a look... if your car is gone, you can rent one as the rental companies are considered essential services... the repair shops have their own access to parts and don't need 'pick and pull'... even Canadian Tire store is closed except for the repair shop.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
289 Posts
I live in Mississauga, ON and we do need a car but you don't need to buy one exactly now... so it is not an essential service... so many people are visiting the dealership just to take a look... if your car is gone, you can rent one as the rental companies are considered essential services... the repair shops have their own access to parts and don't need 'pick and pull'... even Canadian Tire store is closed except for the repair shop.
You know, it's a bit funny the dealerships are actually encouraging you to visit and test drive vehicles, I heard a radio commercial yesterday for I think ford where they encouraged you to test drive, and they said they wipe down all surfaces inside... I don't make the rules, I think pick and pull is reasonable to remain open, I think test drives and buying a new car should wait until things get better... If restaurants don't allow customers to come in and dine in then maybe dealerships are better off closed too, at least not allow test drives until things get better.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I heard a radio commercial yesterday for I think ford where they encouraged you to test drive, and they said they wipe down all surfaces inside...
They are desperate... who's buying cars now until we see how we'll survive economically?

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Lol, for this thread's topic I bring what I have done to my van the last 4 months on my 09 GCV:
-Upgraded base cluster without tach to the SXT cluster with tach and info display (not evic)
-Added compass module, activated compass module
-Added automatic headlights
-Went from the base head unit to the REN (without Sat radio sadly and I cannot seem to get U-connect to work)
-upgraded to the premium 9 speaker plus sub infinity sound system, including the amp (had the base 4 speaker system)
-Added auto dim center mirror
-Added remote start
-Added remote start antenna for an extended 90 meter range
-Added OEM chrome mirrors with turn indicators, heated mirrors, and auto dim driver mirror
-Upgraded manual 3 zone temperature controls to 3 zone automatic temperature controls
-Added cabin air filter housing
-Added OEM center map light (which shines to the center console when headlights are on)
-Swapped out all 4 infinity 6X9's from 09 to infinity speakers from a 03 SXT
-Swapped out all 3 dash tweeters for ones from a 06 Ram truck (higher quality cone material, same infinity speaker otherwise)
-And lastly, today swapped out both rear D-pillar infinity tweeters for ones that came from the 1" center channel infinity speaker in a 07 ram truck (same speakers, just a higher quality cone material)

To do:
-Find a cluster with the EVIC in Km/Hr or find one in MPH and re-code to show mileage in kilometres, swap out the printing to show speeds in km/hr. Add EVIC buttons to steering wheel
-Add smart-beam auto high beams, and whatever else the EVIC needs to function properly (possibly TPMS system swap, adding sensors and modules)
-Add fog lights (this has been a nightmare, considering a kit at this point :( )
-Add chrome accent front bumper
-Add chrome door accent panels, including both upper and lower accents.
-Power folding mirrors (I have not seen a van equipped with these yet, might not have been an available option)

I don't really plan to add these features as i won't actually use them and because family members talked me out of it:
-Power sliding doors
-Power liftgate
-Blind spot monitoring system (Park assist included)
-Dual overhead VES screens
-Power inverter
-Premium center console
-Rear camera
Rear camera is a fairly easy addition, IMO, and worth it for the safety added. I added an aftermarket one, and with a Lockpick, it was plug and play, and allows for a front camera and use in motion. I actually just put a new one on that I found while browsing Amazon, and it does a bunch of cool different views like some OEMs are doing now:

They had power folding mirrors on the T&C Limited before it ended production, so the hardware does exist.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts