The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year 2020! ?

Safe driving and no repairs for at least another decade :)

Reactions: imickey503

·
Super Moderator
24,354 Posts
Thanks for starting the 2020 edition. 2019 Edition has been closed. Your forwarding message is there as the last Post.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recorded a new year in the Repair/Maintenance Logbook: January 01, 2020 - 290,485 Km (7,545 Km for the year 2019)

·
Super Moderator
24,354 Posts
Recorded a new year in the Repair/Maintenance Logbook: January 01, 2020 - 290,485 Km (7,545 Km for the year 2019)

Your vehicle will last another 10 years. It will be old as you after awhile. :)

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your vehicle will last another 10 years. It will be old as you after awhile. :)
Then we can both go to register as Antiquities :)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,826 Posts
Today I looked out at my driveway and saw my van was parked half a carlength down the driveway from my usual parking spot. No one had put a key in it or took it out of park. One side of my van had been parked on ice; however it was only on wet pavement yesterday. I guess overnight when the temp dropped, the water on the driveway (tar) had frozen and my van slowly slid down the sloped driveway. Passenger side was on dry tar, driver's side was on frozen snow/ice. Van was in park and is AWD so the rear wheels were locked to the front (except for whatever clutch slippage there is). Parking brake NOT applied because it is broken (bellcrank in rear drum brake, no $ to fix right now). I guess the differentials did their thing and allowed the van to slide/roll down the driveway in PARK. That was a first. It almost hit one of our kids' PCA's van. Weird. My van was creepin'.

Reactions: Baron

·
3rd gen > all others
2,826 Posts
My front right tire (running oversized at 235/75R15) has been hitting the front fender during harsh bumps and potholes, bending the fender lip out. I had to re-roll the lip under the fender again tonight. I checked wheel clearance and the right side is sagging; lower than the left side. I can get two gloved fingers between the front left tire and upper fender lip, and only a little more than one gloved finger on the right. Van has 197,771 miles and I wonder if the struts were replaced with quick struts by the previous owner. I'm replacing them anyway, but I need to wait for a couple of days off with warmer weather to do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Today I looked out at my driveway and saw my van was parked half a carlength down the driveway from my usual parking spot. No one had put a key in it or took it out of park. One side of my van had been parked on ice; however it was only on wet pavement yesterday. I guess overnight when the temp dropped, the water on the driveway (tar) had frozen and my van slowly slid down the sloped driveway. Passenger side was on dry tar, driver's side was on frozen snow/ice. Van was in park and is AWD so the rear wheels were locked to the front (except for whatever clutch slippage there is). Parking brake NOT applied because it is broken (bellcrank in rear drum brake, no $ to fix right now). I guess the differentials did their thing and allowed the van to slide/roll down the driveway in PARK. That was a first. It almost hit one of our kids' PCA's van. Weird. My van was creepin'.
That's wild!

·
Super Moderator
24,354 Posts
My front right tire (running oversized at 235/75R15) has been hitting the front fender during harsh bumps and potholes, bending the fender lip out. I had to re-roll the lip under the fender again tonight. I checked wheel clearance and the right side is sagging; lower than the left side. I can get two gloved fingers between the front left tire and upper fender lip, and only a little more than one gloved finger on the right. Van has 197,771 miles and I wonder if the struts were replaced with quick struts by the previous owner. I'm replacing them anyway, but I need to wait for a couple of days off with warmer weather to do it.
Strange van. It's not named Christine, I hope. :)

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
878 Posts
got my oil changed and a new oil filter put on

they also topped off my leaking transmission with whatever weird dextron mobil synthetic ATF they have there, so i'm taking it to the mechanics on monday to fix my leak and have it emptied out

·
3rd gen > all others
2,826 Posts
Went to the junkyard today for the last Frozen Nuts sale of the season, with 30% off all parts. I got another pair of almost new tires (Firestone Destination AT 235/75R15 - I have 6 now!), a fresh air/recirc door, a rebuilt A/C compressor (Delphi) and the oh-so-rare 2001 battery heat shield with mounting stud. I also learned that even newer 4th gen vans that don't have the heat ducts going through the dash sides, front door panels to the second row for heat, DO have the underdash ducts and heater box for it. Strange that the ducts are there under the upper dash, open and blowing out to nothing. You'd think that they would have been plugged up with something when not used. I wanted to know this, because my 2001 parts van had it and I saved the door panels and ducting in case I could add it to my 2004.

I also tried several front fender flares from other trucks and suv's, but nothing looked right even though one was close to fitting. Guess I'll have to go aftermarket for the front. I have some old 1980 Toyota rear flares to try on the back. When I left, I entered a drawing for a Milwaukee power tool set and won a free admission coupon. Good day at the yard, as I got some stuff and learned some stuff. :)

·
Super Moderator
24,354 Posts
Helped my Son change out the radiator in his 2007 GC (I owned the vehicle previously). Did it without taking off the front fascia. Was a bit of trouble getting the radiator separated from the condenser/transmission cooler in front of it. Putting the new radiator in was easier. A couple of cuts to my hand to show for it.
Had a leak at the radiator neck nipple for the overflow on startup, so put a worm type clamp on that. Used a Spectra radiator.
The vehicle was made in August of 2006. The OE radiator lasted well (13.5 years) but developed a leak recently. Years back I can remember putting in new radiators every 5 years.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also learned that even newer 4th gen vans that don't have the heat ducts going through the dash sides, front door panels to the second row for heat, DO have the underdash ducts and heater box for it.
My 2002 has a heater box under each of the front chairs that are blowing hot air towards the second row... and of course cold air in the summer...

·
3rd gen > all others
2,826 Posts
I've been changing tires lately. Here's my manual tire changing setup:

Made by LARIN bought it for around $40 about 12 years ago. The wheel in the background left will be my summer wheels with the Firestone tires, and that Michelin I'm taking off is my winter tire set. Maybe a pic of my van for context.

Van looks level, but is actually facing uphill. Yes, the front is too low! The front is the 94 Explorer wheels that bolt right on and don't hit the brake calipers at all. The rear limited wheels will need a spacer and ET lug nuts to fit up front, and then clearing bodywork to fit. So there you go, all of my talk isn't a myth! :D

Reactions: LEVY

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
My Jeep has a friend now:

We picked up a clean 2017 Prius for my fiancee last week, and added a 'Bumper to Bumper Warranty" cue Doug Demuro to it for the next 3 years.

I know, I know, it's a Prius. But honestly, I respect what they are. They get great MPGs, I find them comfy, this one is very well equipped, and it is perfect for my fiancee's needs.

We'll have to see who gets the garage at our house tho:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,041 Posts

We picked up a clean 2017 Prius for my fiancee last week, and added a 'Bumper to Bumper Warranty" cue Doug Demuro to it for the next 3 years.

I know, I know, it's a Prius. But honestly, I respect what they are. They get great MPGs, I find them comfy, this one is very well equipped, and it is perfect for my fiancee's needs.

That's a nice looking car actually.

Those pictures look weird.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,041 Posts
I've been changing tires lately. Here's my manual tire changing setup:

View attachment 57601

Made by LARIN bought it for around $40 about 12 years ago. The wheel in the background left will be my summer wheels with the Firestone tires, and that Michelin I'm taking off is my winter tire set. Maybe a pic of my van for context.

View attachment 57602

Van looks level, but is actually facing uphill. Yes, the front is too low! The front is the 94 Explorer wheels that bolt right on and don't hit the brake calipers at all. The rear limited wheels will need a spacer and ET lug nuts to fit up front, and then clearing bodywork to fit. So there you go, all of my talk isn't a myth! :D
Great to have that kind of tools, here is mine:

Just kidding, I have something similar to yours, but I try my best not to use it.

·
Super Moderator
24,354 Posts

Looks sporty.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts