The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’ve owned a 2014 T&C since new. 2014 and newer have HD brakes and 17” wheels. Look for dual piston calipers. I’ve owned 99 Plymouth Grand Voyager and 03 T&C. For me the 2014 has been better in every way including reliability and mpg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 2 worst years are 11 and 12. If you read consumer reports 30 cars not to buy, it says Town and country, period. My 11 is on its 3rd computer, 2nd starter, water pump and alternater, just replaced struts, shocks, stabilizers, coil packs, plugs and oil filter housing (under manifold, leaked oil like a seive). Replaced rear evaporator, which involves removing the rear interior covers. Rust underneath like crazy. 150k miles and it will need a transmission before too long. My husband is a mechanic and he's pushing me to dump it soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reliability: 2005 Toyota Matrix 175,000 miles. Replaced muffler and water pump. Regular scheduled services.
On a Dodge or Chrysler minivan. Buy cheap and be prepared to spend time and money on repairs. Consumer Reports annual car issue shows areas that usually need repairs. Having owned a 99 and an 03. I enjoyed owning and driving both. After spending $$$ I gave them to family members.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,422 Posts
The 2 worst years are 11 and 12. If you read consumer reports 30 cars not to buy, it says Town and country, period. My 11 is on its 3rd computer, 2nd starter, water pump and alternater, just replaced struts, shocks, stabilizers, coil packs, plugs and oil filter housing (under manifold, leaked oil like a seive). Replaced rear evaporator, which involves removing the rear interior covers. Rust underneath like crazy. 150k miles and it will need a transmission before too long. My husband is a mechanic and he's pushing me to dump it soon.
First 2 years of the new engine. They had some kinks to work out still.

Mine's a '13. I've had 1 thermostat, 1 coolant crossover, 1 heater Y, fuel pump relay, 1 rocker (did cam too because I let it go too long on bad rocker), and 2 alternators go bad, though 2nd alternator failure was a defective part. I replaced the oil cooler before it became an issue, because I knew they tend to fail around 100-120k, so I did mine at 103k.

Aside from the rocker, I wouldn't consider any of these to be a major failure. Sure oil cooler is vital, but not hard at all to replace. Fuel pump relay is a rather involved task, but only needs to be done once and then you have a relay that can be replaced in seconds.

I would advise people to shoot for '14+, but the '11-'13s aren't particularly troublesome and a bit of updating of older parts can remedy the problems they have. Currently the top of my engine has more '17+ parts than original '13 parts. :p

·
Registered
39 Posts

Mine's a '13. I've had 1 thermostat, 1 coolant crossover, 1 heater Y, fuel pump relay, 1 rocker (did cam too because I let it go too long on bad rocker), and 2 alternators go bad, though 2nd alternator failure was a defective part. I replaced the oil cooler before it became an issue, because I knew they tend to fail around 100-120k, so I did mine at 103k.

Aside from the rocker, I wouldn't consider any of these to be a major failure. Sure oil cooler is vital, but not hard at all to replace. Fuel pump relay is a rather involved task, but only needs to be done once and then you have a relay that can be replaced in seconds.

I would advise people to shoot for '14+, but the '11-'13s aren't particularly troublesome and a bit of updating of older parts can remedy the problems they have. Currently the top of my engine has more '17+ parts than original '13 parts. :p
If you look at Consumer Reports, the 11-12 had the most amount of complaints and defects. Many of these many not be "troublesome" to some, but very costly to take to a dealer. 1st computer was about $700 because they told me I had to buy it from them, and have them program it. Turns out they lied, you can buy them plug and play for less than $400. And if leaking oil, leaking freon, non-start, no fuel, bad coils and bad computer aren't particularly troublesome, you must be an ace mechanic, because most people would have a problem with a car that leaves them stranded due to an ECM malfunction, or a TIPM malfunction.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,363 Posts
No, nothing wrong with 2012 T&C .

Those who complain probably use the wrong mechanic.

Nothing to do with 3.6 engine. Those who complain, complain about everything, not about the engine.

I have nothing at all to complain about my 2012 T&C.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,422 Posts
Not arguing with you. Those had issues later years didn't. I suggested updating parts on early models. That would avoid many of those issues.

I wasn't happy when my fuel pump relay died and I had to use my wife's car, but by then it was a known issue and I did the jumper bypass that night after work until the weekend when I wired in the relay. That's something people can do as a preventative measure as well.

PCM is not something you can just swap, security handshake has to be programmed by dealer or locksmith. Dealer is often the more expensive route.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,363 Posts
Not arguing with you. Those had issues later years didn't. I suggested updating parts on early models. That would avoid many of those issues.

I wasn't happy when my fuel pump relay died and I had to use my wife's car, but by then it was a known issue and I did the jumper bypass that night after work until the weekend when I wired in the relay. That's something people can do as a preventative measure as well.

PCM is not something you can just swap, security handshake has to be programmed by dealer or locksmith. Dealer is often the more expensive route.
Correct, but we are talking about a 8-9 yo vehicle.

Those "known" problems are something that should've been fixed by now.

Not all those vehicles had problems, mine didn't.

O.P. wanted to buy a vehicle now, 2011-2012 should be as safe as any other year.

Some people stays in the past.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Doesn’t it go like this? You buy what you can afford. Sometimes you keep throwing money at it until you decide it’s time to trade. The law of diminishing returns.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,363 Posts
Doesn’t it go like this? You buy what you can afford. Sometimes you keep throwing money at it until you decide it’s time to trade. The law of diminishing returns.
Exactly.

To me, asking others doesn't help much as not everyone will agree, then you get different responses and then what?

Any vehicle can fail, or never fail.

All I can say is, good luck.

Now, ask someone who calls itself a Christian, he will tell you luck doesn't exist, everything is controlled by God, which is true.

Good luck anyways! 😁

·
Super Moderator
25,834 Posts
I sold my 15 year old 2002 DGC Sport in 2017, @ over 370,000 km, because it still had too many OE parts that had never been replaced like engine, transmission, starter, water pump, radiator, heater cores, air conditioning (not even a recharge), struts, exhaust (except muffler), etc
Those parts were all working well. They would fail sometime, but not on my watch.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts