The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went to the store, returned home, parked and went inside. About 30 min later my sister told me my music was on...strange...i have the keys and I know it's off. I check and sure enough the interior lights are on, music is on, and several lights on the gauge cluster are lit up including one red light to the right I have NEVER seen before. Now the thing won't start!!! I'm confused! I unplug the battery to "fix" the problem. Well that did nothing upon hooking it back up all the same things are happening. PLEASE anyone help....i rely on my van for everything and now me and the kiddos are stuck!

·
Registered
890 Posts
About 30 min later my sister told me my music was on...strange...i have the keys and I know it's off. I check and sure enough the interior lights are on, music is on, and several lights on the gauge cluster are lit up
reminds me of that movie Christine...

welcome, the red light you saw was likely the little red dot for the immobilizer

check under the IPM for any corrosion

has there been any other symptoms? anything new recently? any work done? heavy rain?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have had the alternator and battery replaced recently. That's about it. No rain yesterday. The only other thing that's been wrong lately is my a/c is not blowing out. You can feel it's cold in there but it does not blow out.

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
Most likely the ignition switch is malfunctioning and the battery is drained from accessories being on for all that time.
If you have a charger, disconnect the battery and let it recharge fully. If not, you can try to 'jump' start it but it's more risky - take your time and let the battery charge for 10 minutes before cranking the engine over.

If there is a problem in IPM, first try pulling the "accessory relay" it may just be stock ON...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reminds me of that movie Christine...

welcome, the red light you saw was likely the little red dot for the immobilizer

check under the IPM for any corrosion

has there been any other symptoms? anything new recently? any work done? heavy rain?
Most likely the ignition switch is malfunctioning and the battery is drained from accessories being on for all that time.
If you have a charger, disconnect the battery and let it recharge fully. If not, you can try to 'jump' start it but it's more risky - take your time and let the battery charge for 10 minutes before cranking the engine over.

If there is a problem in IPM, first try pulling the "accessory relay" it may just be stock ON...
The thing is the battery is not drained, I verified that last night...everything is still lighting up. Van will crank but not start. I am going to try looking through the fuses for any needed replacements and also looking for corrosion.

·
Registered
645 Posts
1. Tap the heater box under the dash ( glove box area) to get your hvac fan spinning again. Youll need a new one but at least it might blow with some noise for a while longer. Bang on it moderately with a fist from underneath. Not too hard, but not that soft either. Make sure the fan speed is on max before you do.

2. Is your key cylinder worn out?When worn, they let you pull the key out even when you aren't in OFF. Ask how I know. If the door chime dings when you open the door, its not in the OFF position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Tap the heater box under the dash ( glove box area) to get your hvac fan spinning again. Youll need a new one but at least it might blow with some noise for a while longer
2. Is your key cylinder worn out?When worn, they let you pull the key out even when you aren't in OFF. Ask how I know
The key is snug and no heavy keychain or anything. I had an 86 Monte Carlo I could take the key out while driving lol

·
Registered
645 Posts
The key is snug and no heavy keychain or anything. I had an 86 Monte Carlo I could take the key out while driving lol
Are you 100% sure tho? That's how my 2002 acted. Cylinder was worn out, and I accidentally left it a notch below off. Radio was on ( turned off with knob), lights were on, door chimed, the only difference was that the gauge cluster wasn't lit up. Check the grounds on the harness. There are two. One by the pass engine mount, and one bolted to the body near the coolant overflow tank.

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
The thing is the battery is not drained, I verified that last night...everything is still lighting up. Van will crank but not start. I am going to try looking through the fuses for any needed replacements and also looking for corrosion.
Can you shut the van off (engine and all accessories off) after disconnecting the battery?
When you crank over the engine, do the accessories (radio, interior lights, etc) turn off while cranking?

After shut off, do you see the "bulb check" where all dash indicators light up for a few seconds? If you do, does the red security 'dot' stay on solid or flash?

Theoretically, if the van was "left on" when you removed the key but ignition switch did not shut off ignition, the key was removed and Immob system detected it was running with no transponder - it could have put the system in "lock out" mode and unless it goes through all the normal pre-start behavior (from cold start) the Immob may not be requesting a new "handshake" between PCM and Immob module/key...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Theoretically, if the van was "left on" when you removed the key but ignition switch did not shut off ignition, the key was removed and Immob system detected it was running with no transponder - it could have put the system in "lock out" mode and unless it goes through all the normal pre-start behavior (from cold start) the Immob may not be requesting a new "handshake" between PCM and Immob module/key...
I think understand what you are saying, theoretically of course...
If that were to happen, is there a procedure to 'reboot' and get it working again?

Bex, if you get this beast running again, please let us know what you found and how you fixed your mini...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Your A/C blower... I know it is not going to be an issue again until you can get the MAIN issue straightened out and the vehicle dependable transportation again...
But the A/C blower.... Do you have the automatic climate controls or the manual controls?

·
fix it if you can
5,076 Posts
I think understand what you are saying, theoretically of course...
If that were to happen, is there a procedure to 'reboot' and get it working again?
One would need to fix the ignition switch - so that start up process "goes through all the right motions" (theoretically)
Not seeing it and with very limited info it's just a guessing game...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I think I remember a tattle here regarding the use of the valet key and that after years it seemed to have lost it's mojo.

IIRC Someone made a statement about the valet key being rejected by the security after so many starts without a master key start. As if the valet made off with the vehicle an it would only work for so long before being immobilized....
Any truth to that, or speculation?.

ASIDE, we bought a Highlander from a car dealer 200 miles away, and given the only one key. The next day we come to find out that the only key was the valet key and unable to make a start key from it alone without paying a hefty sum at the stealership. AND supposedly the only dealership that had the equipment/authority was in another state (supposedly)
After this other thread a few months ago, I suggested tywraping that only transponder key hidden to the column and cutting simple keys as multiple people were using that one key for that airport car. If it were to be lost, that SUV wouldn't be worth the air in its tires.

Where's Becky?
Lets get this Caravan started....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does your fuse box got wet by any chance?
[/QUOTE
Your A/C blower... I know it is not going to be an issue again until you can get the MAIN issue straightened out and the vehicle dependable transportation again...
But the A/C blower.... Do you have the automatic climate controls or the manual controls?
Manual controls

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I remember a tattle here regarding the use of the valet key and that after years it seemed to have lost it's mojo.

IIRC Someone made a statement about the valet key being rejected by the security after so many starts without a master key start. As if the valet made off with the vehicle an it would only work for so long before being immobilized....
Any truth to that, or speculation?.

ASIDE, we bought a Highlander from a car dealer 200 miles away, and given the only one key. The next day we come to find out that the only key was the valet key and unable to make a start key from it alone without paying a hefty sum at the stealership. AND supposedly the only dealership that had the equipment/authority was in another state (supposedly)
After this other thread a few months ago, I suggested tywraping that only transponder key hidden to the column and cutting simple keys as multiple people were using that one key for that airport car. If it were to be lost, that SUV wouldn't be worth the air in its tires.

Where's Becky?
Lets get this Caravan started....
I have two sets of keys. They are both the original keys for the van.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have two sets of keys. They are both the original keys for the van.
Have you tried both keys with same results?
Manual controls
I recently had an intermittent fan problem. Sometimes the fan would just stop running. As others have stated, sometimes banging on the area of the blower will 'jar' it and it will start turning, at least for a while.

On mine, I found a wire that had a loose electrical contact. It was getting warm (as loose electrical fitting will do) at the resistor. The resistor is what changes the fan speed by creating resistance. Full speed is no electrical resistance where low speed is high resistance. After this is back and running, we can look at that as a possible thing to fix too.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
… I check and sure enough the interior lights are on, music is on, and several lights on the gauge cluster are lit up ….
When I read this the first thing that came to mind is something getting hot and melting wires in a bundle, or inside of the IPM. And that part about the blower not running makes me wonder if that could be the culprit. Perhaps it's pulling a high draw trying to run - maybe just barely below what it takes to blow the 40A fuse.

It's not clear to me how much DIY you're able to do, and perhaps (if not much) you will need to have it towed to the shop that installed the alt and battery. But if you want to take a look at one thing, try pulling the blower relay out of the fuse box and take a look at it for any sign of discoloration on the pins, or any sign of melting in the fuse box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts