The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
has anyone in this thread tried replacing the torque converter to solve this problem?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hi, I'm the OP on this thread and surprised to see a new comment posted. My van still has the vibration issue but it hasn't gotten any worse after 10K+ miles or so. I no longer drive the van on long trips.

Just to summarize my previous posts, I've had the van looked at by several transmission shops, by the dealer and a couple of independent mechanics, and none of them could find the cause of the vibration.

I've thrown a few parts at it including new OEM motor mounts, wires, plugs but nothing I've done has made any improvement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
there is one guy on our polish forum, he did it with no satisfied result

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
947 Posts
i know that the transmission is what is causing it to happen, but i dont know if its the source of the vibration

the vibration clearly comes from putting a load on the engine at low RPM

jrb98391, in the thread about installing a 3.8L throttle body to a 3.3L i had posted some and gotten a few answers about adjusting idle rpm, because it feels like the vibration would be a lot better if the engine was just running a little higher

you might want to look into that and try it to see if it helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've thrown a few parts at it including new OEM motor mounts, wires, plugs but nothing I've done has made any improvement.
I think the right one ( its hydromount=mount with liquid inside) and rear one is most important, which one did you replace with OEM ?
After changing sparks and leads in my car I was thinking about replacing mounts as well, but in this case....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I replaced all 4 of the mounts. The rear one was the hardest to do.

The van idles at about a steady 750 rpm. And yes if I step on the gas to increase the rpm, the vibration does decrease. Other than the vibration issue the van runs, shifts great. MPG around 20 in the city, 28 on the highway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i know that the transmission is what is causing it to happen, but i dont know if its the source of the vibration

the vibration clearly comes from putting a load on the engine at low RPM

jrb98391, in the thread about installing a 3.8L throttle body to a 3.3L i had posted some and gotten a few answers about adjusting idle rpm, because it feels like the vibration would be a lot better if the engine was just running a little higher

you might want to look into that and try it to see if it helps
well, to this comment i should say I've 04 Touareg V6 with auto tranny and there is nothing wrong with keeping car on D + stop light, no low RPMs, no vibes, a missfire is common problem but still no shaking or so
I really think Chrysler minivans has some kind of problem with that

·
Registered
23 Posts
I replaced all 4 of the mounts. The rear one was the hardest to do.

The van idles at about a steady 750 rpm. And yes if I step on the gas to increase the rpm, the vibration does decrease. Other than the vibration issue the van runs, shifts great. MPG around 20 in the city, 28 on the highway.
750 rpm is for P and N, but with D or R, 3, L rpms are 600-700 (most typically)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I had the dealer look at mine as someone (perhaps you) suggested this in an earlier post as a possible cause for the vibration. But they said they could find nothing wrong so it's not something I've had replaced.

Thx

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have what I think is a similar vibration on my 05 T&C 3.3. I don't think it's a engine performance issue. Someone here mention the term "Natural frequency". The pulsations of the 6 cylinders firing, at a certain idle speed are finding that natural frequency. I think, though, there might be some change in the flexibility of the engine mount system that allow that resonant frequency to match up with that idle speed. Mine doesn't do it all the time. I'm not sure I'll put much effort into identifying the cause.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2002 GC 3.8, exact same problem. Ours has been doing this for quite a few years now. Steering wheel and the dash vibrate stopped in D, vibration smooths out when shifting to N or P.
I replaced the easy front motor/trans mount a few months ago. Today I almost ordered the other 3 mounts from rockauto (anchor brand), until I started reading this thread. Now I'm wondering if that would be a waste of money and effort.
I salute jrb98391 for taking the time/effort to document his ordeal, and also a little disappointed in him for not finding the solution! (um just kidding of course for those of you lacking sense of humor).
So I'm happy if I've done nothing more, than at least keeping this thread alive. I'm surprised this issue is not more prevalent.

·
Registered
947 Posts
2002 GC 3.8, exact same problem. Ours has been doing this for quite a few years now. Steering wheel and the dash vibrate stopped in D, vibration smooths out when shifting to N or P.
I replaced the easy front motor/trans mount a few months ago. Today I almost ordered the other 3 mounts from rockauto (anchor brand), until I started reading this thread. Now I'm wondering if that would be a waste of money and effort.
I salute jrb98391 for taking the time/effort to document his ordeal, and also a little disappointed in him for not finding the solution! (um just kidding of course for those of you lacking sense of humor).
So I'm happy if I've done nothing more, than at least keeping this thread alive. I'm surprised this issue is not more prevalent.
my problem is completely solved after having all four mounts replaced

butter smooth idling in drive on the inside of the van

the engine itself is still vibrating, i suspect it's the harmonic balancer, but i don't feel it at all anymore and it's a non issue for me

·
Registered
23 Posts
Few months ago I replaced both sides and the rear mount with OEM's (old mounts were junk) - front one is also new, but cheap one;
vibrations still occurs on steering wheel but not on the dash, like before;
now its time to replace all 4 subframe bushings I think

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,924 Posts
I've found that idle speed drops a bit as the throttle stop wears. A low idle speed can produce noticeable vibrations.

The tip-off is that with the A/C compressor engaged, idle is controlled by the IAC and goes up 75 - 100 RPM and is perfectly smooth.

After noticing this I shimmed my idle stop as a diagnostic and it is as smooth as butter with the A/C off. I haven't fixed it permanently yet as our throttle body has the 'headless' non-adjustable stop instead of a bolt.

Perhaps, next summer...
:whistle:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've found that idle speed drops a bit as the throttle stop wears. A low idle speed can produce noticeable vibrations.
would this also be seen in the vans hesitation or inability to lurch in drive?

sometimes i'll just straight up roll back like a manual car if the incline gets great enough

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe I'm having the same problem as the original poster. 04 caravan se with the 2.4 L 4 cyl. Put car thru maryland inspection. Had to replace front motor mount, both front sway bar links, new brake pads on front, and was asked to clean my rack and pinion cause it was wet and he wasn't sure if it was leaking or just oil leak from engine that ran down. While cleaning R&P I briefly heard a buzzing sound. After I finished I started the van and had a vibration in the steering wheel. No vibration in motor or chassis only steering wheel. Vibration goes away as soon as I start driving then returns when I stop. I'm convinced the problem is coming from my steering system after I cleaned the R&P. I've replaced those parts on other vehicles and never had the problem before. But I've never had to mess with the R&P. Is there something that can be accidentally adjusted in the rack and pinion system or a sensor that could be affecting it? Can't find anything in the Haynes manual about it. Didn't have vibration in steering wheel before the repairs.

·
Registered
07 Grand Caravan (3.3L), 14 Dart SXT (2.0L)
169 Posts
I had a vibration at idle, only while in R/D/3/L and idling. Already had new plugs and wires so I tested my coil pack and it was fine: Decided to replace it anyway and the vibration went away... put the old one back in and the vibration was GONE(returned the new coil :p).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I believe I'm having the same problem as the original poster. 04 caravan se with the 2.4 L 4 cyl. Put car thru maryland inspection. Had to replace front motor mount, both front sway bar links, new brake pads on front, and was asked to clean my rack and pinion cause it was wet and he wasn't sure if it was leaking or just oil leak from engine that ran down. While cleaning R&P I briefly heard a buzzing sound. After I finished I started the van and had a vibration in the steering wheel. No vibration in motor or chassis only steering wheel. Vibration goes away as soon as I start driving then returns when I stop. I'm convinced the problem is coming from my steering system after I cleaned the R&P. I've replaced those parts on other vehicles and never had the problem before. But I've never had to mess with the R&P. Is there something that can be accidentally adjusted in the rack and pinion system or a sensor that could be affecting it? Can't find anything in the Haynes manual about it. Didn't have vibration in steering wheel before the repairs.
Your power steering 'vibration' does the power steering 'groan' at idle?

There is a filter inside the power steering reservoir that is best replaced. When it begins to get clogged, it will starve the PS pump for fluid.

New reservoir can usually be had for less than $30. Member itsallgood get the reservoir from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty and he changes it every few years.

Please let us know what you finally find with your mini and how you fix it.

Welcome to the forum!

101 - 119 of 119 Posts