The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the dreaded non-functioning GPS. Powered by Garmin lockup screen, can't unlock maps, no data available. The vehicle has 20k but out of warranty...... never used. LOL, I called Chrysler and was told " Too bad..take it to the dealer...Out of warranty...Thank you for choosing Chrysler". Internet research shows this is a highly problematic component. I have 5 of these vehicles. Love their customer support. I think Chrysler just made me a Honda customer.

Any thoughts and options greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Pull the fuse for the radio, cycle the van's power, put the fuse back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
cant unlock maps means that there is a certain code file missing that allows the unit to read/use the maps. Call 800-800-1020. listen to the prompts for Auto OEM. you will want that support team since yours is built in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called Garmin tech support. Tech explained that no software update will fix issue. The only fix is to replace radio. He also noted that those " replacement" radios may or may not have the same problem. Apparently the hardware manufacturer is blaming software and vica versa. It is an endless loop of non function, just like my 430N.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The bright side, if you do get a new unit, it'll probably have newer maps on it. Me, it would bug me that this didn't work, so I'd be trolling ebay and whatnot looking for a used one.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Which vehicle and year do you have?
Uconnect 430n rhb gps
Did you Google and read? At bottom of google list is hacks.
Maybe this helps. Best wishes.
Please post solution when you find it. Thznks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Documentation on the internet does not offer a solution. I also recently spoke to a Chrysler representative that stated, " Chrysler has known about those radios for years. They are all junk, always issues. The new ones are as bad as the old ones. The replacements are refurbished with the same software as the old ones. They may last a month or two. The only solution is to get a 3rd party system that works." I will try all relevant solutions offered on the internet and post if any work. However given the fact that Garmin and Chrysler say no go.... I am not getting my hopes up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey hotstuff: can you give me the unit ID? And if you could go to the settings page and give me the SW version number?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The final result of all hacks and tricks to repair is an endless loop of Garmin screen. I spoke with a Chrysler representative that is VERY familiar with the Uconnect system. I was instructed to run away from Uconnect as fast as possible and buy a third party option. Chrysler has no fix and is not interested in a fix.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Unfortunately, this is NOT limited to the mini van models... I know the Dodge Journey has been plagued with this problem as well and I'm sure other models too. Poor customer relations on the manufacturers part not to recognize that there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I've seen mentions of replacing the hard drives. I don't know if that's the issue. I've also seen some pretty nice head unit swaps in random youtube videos.

EDIT: Googling your failure led me to this page. The page that lead me here indicated it's not likely the hard drive as it is the main board. Repair services are offered.

https://navrepair.com/products/430n-rhb-uconnect-mygig-gps-navigation-radio-repair-service?variant=444663617

Here's some interesting info about an "emergency update".

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/uconnect-430n-gps-update-failure-and-repair-1992050.html

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know this is old, but we just bought a '14 Journey that has the maps problem. I've been reading a LOT on the topic and working on repairing it.

It's not a failed hard drive as there is no hard drive in the unit -- they have some sort of ram system. It's not specifically a hardware problem at all.
It is due to some sort of error in the map files. The error can be temporarily corrected by reloading maps. For whatever reason FCA never persued this as a solution -- I guess it would have involved cooperation with Garmin for dealerships to have map files on hand and one or both of them apparently didn't have the interest. Garmin charges ~$150 for a set of map files, so I'm pretty sure I know why this never got solved.

There are some complications to reloading maps, for one the updated software CPT14 and above does not allow reloading them so the system has to be downgraded to 13.

Another problem is the maps error tends to repeat itself every few months to a year. However, as long as you retain the files used to reload the maps it can be repaired again.

I have my files prepared (I accumulated them w/o going through Garmin, which adds to the difficulty but saves quite a bit of money), just need the time to do the upload. From the sounds of it it's close to a couple hour process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@n2audio Is this still working for you? I just bought a Caravan with this issue and I'm wondering if loading maps might fix it.

Also, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction to start learning how to accumulate the maps myself. Maybe you saved a few helpful links that got you started down that path?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried everything in the book to correct my situation with this wonderful system. The only remedy that worked was replacing the entire unit. I will not upgrade maps or perform any updates on the current system. Something goes wrong; as it always does and you have a brick. The navigation system is basically useless. Your cellphone is 20 years ahead. I only use the navigation as a backup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts