The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2010 T&C 4.0 with 155k miles.
I put just under 1000 miles on it and it occasionally starts to skip (rev up like it's in neutral) while shifting between 3rd & 4th. After the 3rd or 4th occasion I got a CEL Error Code P0734: Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio. Diagnostics said it's likely low or dirty trans fluid or a solenoid. Prior owner said trans fluid/filter change at 130k.
Fluid appears fine, not burnt. attempted to check fluid level with oil dipstick hack, unsure on trans temp though (COLD here in Detroit) Added approx. 6oz. of ATF+4.
After adding fluid Error Code disappeared , so did the 3-4 gear issue.

Two days later while doing some running around the Reverse gear goes out completely.
No rhyme nor reason, just gone! No Engine Light / Error code to check.

I'm afraid to add any more fluid. Haven't had the opportunity to pull the pan and check it out yet. Depending on the advice I receive I'm not sure I want to, especially if it's just going to lead to me putting it back together so I can get it to a trans shop.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Loveably weird
329 Posts
My advice is to take it to a transmission shop and have them hook it up to their computer. They can see exactly what is happening with it. It could just be a bad solenoid that needs replaced, or something more serious. I had to have Certified Transmission do a diagnostic on my wife's '97 Taurus. I don't recall how much it cost for them to do it, but it wasn't that expensive. It wasn't a transmission problem, either!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to a friends repair shop and he hooked it up to his computer. Their were no active codes to display. He went into the transmission portion of the scanner all appeared normal.
When put it in Reverse, a signal was being sent to the solenoid, but still... No reverse. Doesn't mean that the solenoid is functioning properly, only that it's receiving the signal
I don't think me puling the pan to take a look is going to offer an obvious solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have a 62TE transmission which are known for compounder assembly problems. Usually a no reverse condition is caused by a bad low drum. The original design has sealing rings that are able to rotate independently of the drum, which as contaminates get into the fluid, cause the sealing rings to dig deep grooves and no longer seal. Updated low drums have tabs on the sealing rings that keep it rotating with the drum, so that it cannot wear this groove.

It's very likely you need a rebuild.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have a 62TE transmission which are known for compounder assembly problems. Usually a no reverse condition is caused by a bad low drum. The original design has sealing rings that are able to rotate independently of the drum, which as contaminates get into the fluid, cause the sealing rings to dig deep grooves and no longer seal. Updated low drums have tabs on the sealing rings that keep it rotating with the drum, so that it cannot wear this groove.

It's very likely you need a rebuild.
2 common issues for that.
1. In the Compounder the low drum snap ring groove breaks, do not keep driving the vehicle because the parts that break off cause metal to move throughout the transmission.
2. In the Compounder the low drum Teflon sealing rings rotate causing the grooves they ride in to widen. In both cases the low drum needs to be replaced with the newer updated model.
THIS CAN BE DONE WITHOUT REMOVING TRANSMISSION FROM THE VEHICLE. I have done this myself at home in my garage. I bought the updated drum and the clutch packs for the whole Compounder and rebuilt that part of the transmission. Total cost about $80.00. Not crazy hard if you are good at working on cars. I have about 10k on this transmission so far with no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts