The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a trans service on my 03 chrysler t&c lxi work van because I thought the trans pan gasket was leaking but I'm still finding a small puddle on the ground sometimes two side by side or slightly apart and it looks to be leaking on the right side of the pan if your underneath it the pan is tight and torqued to spec and not over filled what could be leaking?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
differential cover? CV joint? power steering reservoir above the trans leaking?

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,984 Posts
The transmission control solenoid assembly, just above the front of the pan, is known to leak.

Did you coat the threads of the pan bolts with RTV during reassembly?

+++++++

"As long as its still leaking, it's not out of oil yet" 😇 Just Kidding.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
705 Posts
The transmission control solenoid assembly, just above the front of the pan, is known to leak.

+++++++

This, or CV. If CV, only use OE seals, unless you wanna be doing it twice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

+++++++

I did not use rtv just the new rubber gasket and torqued the screws down

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
815 Posts
I'd do RTV only, it's originally what the manuals called for...

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,984 Posts
I'd do RTV only, it's originally what the manuals called for...
True, but the aftermarket gaskets (and the available Mopar pan gasket) seal well, and reduce the fuss and bother of removing the RTV the next time you drop the pan to replace the filter.

Another reason for using a gasket vs. RTV: The trans/torque converter drips FOREVER after the pan is removed. (I even let it drip overnight...never stopped.)

I never felt good about the drips getting into the RTV.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
149 Posts
Do the '03's have transmission coolers? I recently thought my trans pan was leaking but it ended up being gravity induced runoff from one of the trans cooler lines leaking on my 2014 T&C.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
i believe all of them do, but its location changes through the years

it might be integrated into the radiator, it might be integrated into the condenser, or might be its own part

·
3rd gen > all others
3,135 Posts
2003 will be an independent cooler between the radiator and AC condenser. I believe it changed in 05 or 06 to be integrated as part of the AC condenser, and used quick connects at the lines instead of rubber hoses and clamps when new. When the cooler or transmission is removed, the lines are cut and quick connects discarded and converted to hoses and clamps.

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
True, but the aftermarket gaskets (and the available Mopar pan gasket) seal well, and reduce the fuss and bother of removing the RTV the next time you drop the pan to replace the filter
Way back in history, a long time ago, Chrysler Engineers smartened up and designed a gasket for the electronic transmission pan because .... because .... the RTV of the day could foam when in contact with the transmission fluid.

RTV is a pain in the butt and gaskets are still available, even today. Robots can apply RTV, easier than gaskets, but the stupid critters don't have to remove the transmission pan and replace it. :)

As the story goes: http://starparts.chrysler.com/tsb/en_us/dto/pbd2/08/00/22/080022dc80bc0071.pdf

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH ASTERISKS AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND MODEL COVERAGE.
SUBJECT:
Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket
OVERVIEW: OVERVIEW: This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable automatic transmission oil pan gasket.
MODELS:
1989 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
DISCUSSION:
A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured RTV it is recommended that this
gasket be used in all applications.
NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES. PARTS REQUIRED:
1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH
1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE

1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE
CAUTION : DO NOT OVERFILL TRANSAXLE. DO NOT ADD OIL OF LEVEL IS BETWEEN: LOWER HOLES FOR WARM OIL (100o F). UPPER HOLES FOR HOT OIL (180o F.).
There's more in the actual bulletin but the caution about not overfilling was worth noting.

Five gaskets available at rockauto.com for the 2003 T&C. The Fel-Pro TOS18687 is most popular.
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 4431997, 4431997AC, 4800210AA, 5011115AA, 749032PO
It would be nice to have a drain plug but Chrysler isn't going there.

Your cooler is a separate unit, sandwiched between the radiator and the A/C condenser.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking it may be the selenoid that's mounted to the front of the trans pan but it dosnt look to me leaking

1 - 12 of 12 Posts