Metric to English Scale Factor: 1.8
Metric to English Offset: 32

OBD Information:
Module/Header: ECM
OBD Mode: 22
PID Number: b010
Priority: High
Equation: ((((A*256)+B)(1/64))-32)(5/9)

Note: The blue entries can be changed to whatever you want.

Post #12 above has an image of how the setting look in the app.
Thank you for the PID! Worked perfectly!

I have the app called car scanner that if you put in 1500 ram 2008 up theme then you get transmission temp. Different themes have different readings but I also found oil pressure as well as engine oil temp. If I want more data like misfire then it becomes a paid app for less than 5.00. I plan on buying the FCA app for 49 if I can find enough reviews but there email stated transmission data is available but at this price it is only one license and I still have 6 year warranty left so I have time.

georgef: I am trying to get this PID to work using the Torque Pro application with an OBDLink dongles on a 2009 Grand Caravan. Can you confirm what PID this should be and what OBD Header to use? (In Torque Pro, the PID field would be entered as 22b010.) In Torque Pro, the OBD Header field is to be "Leave blank, 'Auto' or HEX header. I have tried 7e0 as the OBD header, but I really don't know what is the appropriate OBD header.

georgef: I am trying to get this PID to work using the Torque Pro application with an OBDLink dongles on a 2009 Grand Caravan. Can you confirm what PID this should be and what OBD Header to use? (In Torque Pro, the PID field would be entered as 22b010.) In Torque Pro, the OBD Header field is to be "Leave blank, 'Auto' or HEX header. I have tried 7e0 as the OBD header, but I really don't know what is the appropriate OBD header.
I'm not very familiar with Torque Pro but I believe it has a predefined PID that you can add that will give you the transmission temperature. The PID you need is "Transmission Temp (Jeep Pre 2012)".

For details on how to add the predefined PID, see this site: The Power of Torque, find the section titled "How to Manage PIDs: Add a Predefined Set for Transmission Temperature"

These are the basic steps from the linked site:
  • From the main screen tap the settings/gear icon
  • Tap "Settings"
  • Scroll down and tap "Manage extra PIDs/Sensors"
  • Tap the menu button, the three dots on the top right
  • Tap "Add predefined set"
  • Tap "Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Mercedes"
You will then need to add a custom gauge to your dashboard, for the added PID.

I am trying to get this PID to work using the Torque Pro application with an OBDLink dongles on a 2009 Grand Caravan.
Have you tried using the OBDLink app?

I'm not very familiar with Torque Pro but I believe it has a predefined PID that you can add that will give you the transmission temperature. The PID you need is "Transmission Temp (Jeep Pre 2012)".

For details on how to add the predefined PID, see this site: The Power of Torque, find the section titled "How to Manage PIDs: Add a Predefined Set for Transmission Temperature"

These are the basic steps from the linked site:

You will then need to add a custom gauge to your dashboard, for the added PID.
Yes, that is where I started on this. I have to predefined PIDs and I'm trying to use the PID as is, but the gauge isn't showing any data. The predefined PID shows the OBD Header as "7E0,3E01" I was thinking that perhaps one or more settings in this PID was not correct. Incidentally, I recall using this PID on this car and on this application about two years ago and having some issues with it. I finally got it to work two years ago, and it may have included tweaking the settings on this particular PID. But I discovered that all my Chrysler and Ford PIDs had disappeared along with all the gauges that I had set up, so I had to reinstall them. Now I (again) can't get the PID to work.

Thanks for all the great info here! Is there an ODB Fusion PID for transmission actual gear?
Not that I've been able to find.

If you want to get fancy you can add PIDs for Min and Max fluid levels (and Nominal too).

With the help of a TI-83 graphing calculator (and my son), we came up with two quartic functions that are quite accurate at temperatures between 70°F and 200°F. Here's a graph of the functions overlaid on the fluid level chart:

These are the setting for the Min and Max Gauges:

The formulas:
Code:
MIN
.000000136*(A*4+B/64)^4-.000085943*(A*4+B/64)^3+.0199139*(A*4+B/64)^2-1.6796*(A*4+B/64)+49.243

MAX
(1-1.00000001279737)*(A*4+B/64)^4+.000012941913*(A*4+B/64)^3-.0040681341*(A*4+B/64)^2+.7883152698*(A*4+B/64)-24.31359047
Caution: Do Not round any of the numbers, dropping just one digit will result in significant error.

Note: For a nominal gauge add the two formulas together and divide by two.

And here are the gauges I use to display the information (one large gauge will four smaller gauges stacked on it):

Wow! Great stuff. Your theoretical fluid levels are based upon the data provided in the chart? So, assuming you have a perfect fill of ATF, your "nominal" gauge display should accurately reflect the fluid level in the transaxle based on temp? Do you use this as a reference when checking your level with a modified dipstick? So, in essence, the gauges are a "live" representation of the table? Super cool. I run Torque in my 2ZR-Swapped and turbo Yaris for all available OBD2 data (including fuel trims, O2 voltages, intake air temp, pre/post CAT temps etc) and dedicated gauges for such things as boost, oil temp, oil pressure, trans temp etc. I just picked up AppCar diagFCA and used it to check my trans fluid level after my pan drop, filter change and refill on my recently acquired '13 T&C Limited. Again, kudos to you and your son for figuring this out! Pretty sure I'm going to try your PIDs and see if I can get it working in Torque for quick reference, rather than hooking my laptop up and using AppCar. I wonder if there are PIDs for other variables that the EVIC displays, such as oil pressure, oil temp. Out of the box, Torque doesn't draw (or interpret) much from the van's ECU, but clearly there are sensors present and data available.

Your theoretical fluid levels are based upon the data provided in the chart?
Yes.

So, assuming you have a perfect fill of ATF, your "nominal" gauge display should accurately reflect the fluid level in the transaxle based on temp?
If I'm understanding correctly, yes. Using the following image as an example, when the fluid temperature is 122°F you need to make sure the fluid level is between 14.9mm and 32.1mm, the ideal level is 23.5mm.

Do you use this as a reference when checking your level with a modified dipstick?
Yes, it eliminates the need to refer to the chart.

So, in essence, the gauges are a "live" representation of the table?
Correct.

Pretty sure I'm going to try your PIDs and see if I can get it working in Torque for quick reference, rather than hooking my laptop up and using AppCar.
It won't be a straight conversion to Torque, you need to be careful of the units that are being returned by Torque vs the units used in my calculations. It might be worth spending the $5 to buy OBD Fusion.

Reactions: Dr Dank and 06DGC
Thanks! Just picked up OBD Fusion. Will report back after I give it a try tomorrow. I may appeal to you for some assistance/tips/tricks etc. Just had a look in app and see an offering of FCA 2013 Advanced Diagnostics for $13.99. Any idea what this offers? I don't suppose this would replace my recently acquired AppCar diagFCA?

...Just had a look in app and see an offering of FCA 2013 Advanced Diagnostics for $13.99. Any idea what this offers? I don't suppose this would replace my recently acquired AppCar diagFCA?
That was just added in their last update, I suspect it is quite limited compared to Appcar DiagFCA.

Reactions: Dr Dank and 06DGC
Having a great time with the app. Tonight I checked the torque-based line pressures in all gears. I was super happy to see that the desired and actual lines pressures are within spec and in agreement. This is a great app!

Georgef...Is it possible to import this gauge you built by means of some kind of config file? I'd love to have it if you're willing to share.

Thanks!

Reactions: 06DGC
Yes it can be imported, I sent you a PM.
You sure did! I installed it today and it's absolutely brilliant! Making a post momentarily.

If you want to get fancy you can add PIDs for Min and Max fluid levels (and Nominal too).

With the help of a TI-83 graphing calculator (and my son), we came up with two quartic functions that are quite accurate at temperatures between 70°F and 200°F. Here's a graph of the functions overlaid on the fluid level chart:

The formulas:
Code:
MIN
.000000136*(A*4+B/64)^4-.000085943*(A*4+B/64)^3+.0199139*(A*4+B/64)^2-1.6796*(A*4+B/64)+49.243

MAX
(1-1.00000001279737)*(A*4+B/64)^4+.000012941913*(A*4+B/64)^3-.0040681341*(A*4+B/64)^2+.7883152698*(A*4+B/64)-24.31359047
Caution: Do Not round any of the numbers, dropping just one digit will result in significant error.

And here are the gauges I use to display the information (one large gauge will four smaller gauges stacked on it):

The formulas:
Code:
MIN

MAX

Wow great job Georgef it helped me a lot. thanks for sharing a great art pic lol. I didn't understand how to get to nominal gauge is there any ay that you can share the formula for that gauge too?

Here's the formula for the nominal gauge:
Code:
(((1-1.00000001279737)*(A*4+B/64)^4+.000012941913*(A*4+B/64)^3-.0040681341*(A*4+B/64)^2+.7883152698*(A*4+B/64)-24.31359047)+( .000000136*(A*4+B/64)^4-.000085943*(A*4+B/64)^3+.0199139*(A*4+B/64)^2-1.6796*(A*4+B/64)+49.243))/2
I've also posted a link to a file, containing the gauges and PIDs that can be imported into OBDLink or OBD Fusion, here: GeorgeF's Excellent OBD Fusion Custom Transmission (post #15).

Reactions: BigJoe and 06DGC
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.