The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, friends! Sigh. Only finding the time in coming here when I need help is unsettling and I apologize. I am, however, in a bit of a "jacked up" situation. (LOL) This van, I'm telling you is giving my already thin layer of patience a beating. Yesterday when we returned home the van was fine other than the warped rotor that should be arriving with it's matching partner on Friday. Today, however, we left the house for an appointment and it was fine for about the first two miles or so and then BAM! Someone, somewhere flipped a switch and the van became a sputtering, powerless, loud and sluggish mess. Normally, other than the normal exhaust-related median-noise, she's relatively quiet. Again, there's some loudness when I accelerate, but I have bigger issues now to which I am clueless on figuring out. The check engine light is on and it's been on since about halfway back home, as it did not come in right away. My wife, as you can imagine, flipped out and screamed, "oh no, the transmission light!" In addition to whatever this is, whenever I would try to accelerate the right front wheel began banging and wigging out like it wanted to fly off!

As well, I have a turn signal issue where the right front is blinking really fast like when they choose to go out. Well, I bought a new bulb for the front and even changed the one in the back but it is still doing it and I have no back tail light or signal or anything.

My profession is NOT mechanics and I know someone who is a mechanic but he can't seem to make time to lend a hand in diagnosis unless he needs something around the same time. So, I need some help if you would be so kind! Thank you all in advance and have a great evening!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Do the "key dance" on-off-on-off-on with the ignition switch and watch the PRNDL indicator display for codes causing the check engine light.

On the wheel, check lug-nut tightness and tighten as necessary. if that isn't the problem, then jack up that corner of the van to get the tire off the ground and, supporting that corner safely with jack stands, attempt to man-handle the tire/wheel with both horizontal and vertical back and forth twisting to see if you can find any worn/loose components that allow the wheel to shift.

I do this by grabbing the tire tread with my left hand at 9 o'clock and my right had at 3 o'clock and then twisting back and forth as if trying to turn the wheel right and left. Next, grab the top of the tire tread with both hands while trying to push and pull the wheel in and out. If either of these checks produces noticeable movement and clanking then you've likely got worn components you need to track down. Be particularly cautious about putting hands under the bottom of the tire as this could be hazardous to your hand should anything go wrong...

·
3rd gen > all others
3,394 Posts
First an assumed warped brake rotor, and now a loose, wiggling wheel? Sounds like a front hub bearing let go, and the rotor might be okay.

The loudness and lack of acceleration/check engine light could be the exhaust flex connector between the rear exhaust manifold and catalytic converter broke, leaking exhaust and throwing off the O2 sensor readings.

Rear tail light could be bent/bad contacts in the bulb sockets where they meet the bore/housing when twisted to lock into place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the "key dance" on-off-on-off-on with the ignition switch and watch the PRNDL indicator display for codes causing the check engine light.

On the wheel, check lug-nut tightness and tighten as necessary. if that isn't the problem, then jack up that corner of the van to get the tire off the ground and, supporting that corner safely with jack stands, attempt to man-handle the tire/wheel with both horizontal and vertical back and forth twisting to see if you can find any worn/loose components that allow the wheel to shift.

I do this by grabbing the tire tread with my left hand at 9 o'clock and my right had at 3 o'clock and then twisting back and forth as if trying to turn the wheel right and left. Next, grab the top of the tire tread with both hands while trying to push and pull the wheel in and out. If either of these checks produces noticeable movement and clanking then you've likely got worn components you need to track down. Be particularly cautious about putting hands under the bottom of the tire as this could be hazardous to your hand should anything go wrong...
Thank you! I will absolutely try these suggestions. I am preparing to go out and check it out now. I am hoping to everything merciful that it's not something that will cost an arm and my first born. I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First an assumed warped brake rotor, and now a loose, wiggling wheel? Sounds like a front hub bearing let go, and the rotor might be okay.

The loudness and lack of acceleration/check engine light could be the exhaust flex connector between the rear exhaust manifold and catalytic converter broke, leaking exhaust and throwing off the O2 sensor readings.

Rear tail light could be bent/bad contacts in the bulb sockets where they meet the bore/housing when twisted to lock into place.
We bought the van from my father-in-law about three years ago and the assumption that the rotor was warped was assumed back then but then someone told me, maybe not and so I didn't replace. They should be arriving tomorrow, however, and so I will go ahead and throw them on and be done with it. I'm going to follow your suggestions and check the bearing and we were thinking it may be the O2 sensor or the Flex Connector, but as I said before I'm nowhere near a mechanic. I am willing to do the work though as long as the repair is within my limited capability. I will also look into the tail light issue again - as we have far too may cops that would give me a ticket in a heartbeat (mainly because they suck) so I will have to get that resolved quickly too. Thank you, so very much for your help! I will keep you posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts