The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.8L engine (216,xxx miles) and I've just had a rebuilt transmission installed. The tech said I need to at least replace the front (under the radiator) engine mount bushing and take a look at the rest of the mounts.

I've searched the 2nd generation part of this site and have not found a lot of info on "how to" nor info on which brand names to trust. I've searched online and have found a lot of name brands such as API, SKP, Anchor, DEA/Marmon, Weststar, Pioneer, and of course, OEM. But, I don't see many reviews.

Can someone point me to a real good how to video or write up and also which brand names seem to be the most reliable?

Many thanks!

koreywill

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3
14 Posts
Just touching base to say I’ll be taking this on soon as well. Not sure it matters what brand you go with(If anyone’s changed their’s recently, chime in), but best practice will likely be to try avoiding mixing brands for each mount. I’d also say it would be a good idea to fix any oil leaks first(Or soon after).

At Rockauto, the pictures go a long way explaining design and quality for most. You can tell the API brand lacks any sort of finish work. Try to get them all from the same manufacturer. Be sure to check the warranty offered. Most common is a year, a couple of companies offer five. Update: Looking around I discovered Autozone offers Limited Lifetime’s on their selections. So if you want that, for what it’s worth, there you go. It’s a chunk of rubber, so...meh. One item to think about was I came across a post around here(that I’ll need to dig up again) mentioning that if either of the C/V axels are going out, it can cause problems lining things up. Food for thought.(I’ll be replacing both of my axels, so not as worried.)

I came across posts for various individual mounts, but oddly not all of them.(yet)

Found this post by Klabbage in 2009 covering the transmission mount on a 1993 Grand Caravan 3.3L, 4 spd AT.

Think I came across a post on the passenger side mount as well, but I’ll need to dig for it again.

One thing to keep in mind is there’s different transmission mounts available depending what type transmission you have. Does it matter? Haven’t found that answer yet.(manual vs either automatic.)

Adding in a couple of quick pics for where the mounts are and what the new base pieces look like. I’ll try adding pictures of my van’s later on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Big_Red!
Thanks for chiming in. Much appreciated. Did some work on the front end and went in for an alignment. Tech suggested that I replace inner and outer tie rods so went to RA and ordered Mevotechs. Seem solid with good reviews. Got those installed 2 days ago along with sway bar bushings (I think the removed ones were original. Really worn and in bad shape.) Also replaced 2615 front (radiator side) mount while I was under the car with the DEA / MARMON RIDE CONTROL mount as that seemed to be falling apart and exhibiting lots of movement. That took about 20 minutes or so. Easy for sure.
I hadn't thought about using same name brands and that does make sense and will replace the other two mounts soon.
Went for a short drive after installation and the ride is quieter and steering has less play. Didn't get out on the highway because I'm in need of an alignment (again) so can't attest to how it drives at 65.
Anyway, if you do your mount installation keeps us apprised of how it went.
Again, thanks.

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3
14 Posts
Got some pics of where to look for the engine(aka front and passenger) and transmission(aka driver) mounts in case you want to find them. My transmission mount was...just a wee bit rough.😶

If you’re standing in front of the engine, the passenger side mount is located just behind the coolant overflow bottle.

The front mount is underneath the middle of the bumper. Slide under a bit and you’ll see it.

The transmission (driver side) mount is located under and in back of the battery and tray. Find the transmission fluid dip stick and look in back and a bit to the right. Mine was showing just a little wear.🤘

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts