The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
07 Grand Caravan (3.3L), 14 Dart SXT (2.0L)
245 Posts
What about the tps iac does not the pcm come in to play, as with the air intake mod?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The TPS and IAC should adjust once the computer relearns how to drive. So yes, the PCM will adjust the fuel accordingly and should result in more power.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
And as said before, dropping it in third doesn't do squat besides keeping overdrive from engaging. It doesn't add power, change other gear's ratios, or anything else that changes how the van runs.
Changing the throttle body alone doesn't add power either.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Being in third keeps the engine in the meat of the power band, especially for those who want a peppier van. Driving in fourth saves fuel by lowering rpm and lowering heat and frictional loses. Bottom line is that you can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda the point of a transmission.

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Which is why the trans will up shift into fourth ASAP. If you want a peppier van, keep it in third. I can't say it enough, if you want a peppier van, keep it in third!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
But if you want go faster, you just press the pedal harder and it will shift into third. If yours won't do that, I suggest you get yours serviced. If you play your cards right, it might even go down to second. Or... FIRST..... /clutches pearls/

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Sure it will downshift, but if you want instant response, leave it in third. Make no mistake, I never had a problem with my 2003, I just new it had limitations and adjusted to those limitations. My response regarding using third was for those who felt the need for a peppier van, and using third will give you a peppier van, with instant response.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
An engine that breathes easier will be even peppier. But if that's not for you, it's ok.

Reactions: Mopar-Mofun

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
801 Posts
It drove me nuts going up a slight incline and the 3.3L lame engine would downshift, the RPMs spiked as it labored going up. I hardly ever passed another vehicle because of the lameness with the engine and downshifting never worked either. The van couldn't even get out of it's own way. After the 3.8L TB mod, I drive the van much like it was my old 2005 3.8L SXT GC. No issues anymore. After the 3.8L TB swap, all that lameness is GONE. The engine breaths with life like it should have been.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Mopar, again I owned my 2003 for 14 years, and performance was never a problem. When there was a long incline, I downshifted myself, and I held third until I crested the the hill. All I can say is that you probably had a problem with the old throttle body.

Wikoff, I guess it's not for me.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
801 Posts
Mopar, again I owned my 2003 for 14 years, and performance was never a problem. When there was a long incline, I downshifted myself, and I held third until I crested the the hill. All I can say is that you probably had a problem with the old throttle body.

Wikoff, I guess it's not for me.
Before the TB swap, I did remove the original, cleaned it and saw little improvement. Likewise with a co-worker's 3.3L and my sister's 3.3L. All are lame for what they do. The 3.3L is ideal for the city and soccer moms. It's the perfect vehicle for that. Taking it out of the city to the highways it becomes less attractive for use. Gets worse when you have 4 or more adults too.

Prior to making the jump to a 3.8L TB on the 3.3L, I checked OTHER Dodge and Chrysler forums seeking out if this mod had any benefits. To my surprise, this was on many of their sites. From Dodge LeBarron, Chrysler Dynasty, Chrysler Imperials and other mopar vehicles, the 3.8L TB on the 3.3L is a common mod. It's been well known since the late 90s, some 24 years worth.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Before the TB swap, I did remove the original, cleaned it and saw little improvement. Likewise with a co-worker's 3.3L and my sister's 3.3L. All are lame for what they do. The 3.3L is ideal for the city and soccer moms. It's the perfect vehicle for that. Taking it out of the city to the highways it becomes less attractive for use. Gets worse when you have 4 or more adults too.

Prior to making the jump to a 3.8L TB on the 3.3L, I checked OTHER Dodge and Chrysler forums seeking out if this mod had any benefits. To my surprise, this was on many of their sites. From Dodge LeBarron, Chrysler Dynasty, Chrysler Imperials and other mopar vehicles, the 3.8L TB on the 3.3L is a common mod. It's been well known since the late 90s, some 24 years worth.
I just did mine and Wow night and day. The old world rev 1000 rpm on a small hill, and now it only revs 500 rpm on a big hill. And papier and smooth idling even with ac on

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I just did mine and Wow night and day. The old world rev 1000 rpm on a small hill, and now it only revs 500 rpm on a big hill. And papier and smooth idling even with ac on

Sorry about the spelling

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
801 Posts

Mike, Do you have any more impressions after a few more days? The more you drive with the 3.8L TB on the 3.3L, the more you'll notice the little things that add up to big improvements.

Glad the hills are practical to climb now and the RPM spikes are gone. Keep us posted on other noticeable improvements.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts