The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Where do you live? Our 2002 T&C AWD doesn't have a spot of rust and looks almost new at 274K miles, other than a few dings and drags from idiots in parking lots (why I would never buy a new vehicle). If the clear-coat is failing here in sunny California, I can't tell against the silver paint. I too would give up if significant rust. Vehicles don't last long in the rusty North, though better than they were in the 1970's.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Where do you live? Our 2002 T&C AWD doesn't have a spot of rust and looks almost new at 274K miles, other than a few dings and drags from idiots in parking lots (why I would never buy a new vehicle). If the clear-coat is failing here in sunny California, I can't tell against the silver paint. I too would give up if significant rust. Vehicles don't last long in the rusty North, though better than they were in the 1970's.
I live in the Toronto area...so lots of rust out here and lots of up and down weather. Dont get me wrong, the engine and transmission itself is very healthy and I'm confident that it would give me another 100,000 kms...but with everything else around it failing, it's no longer worth fixing.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Update- called the wrecking yard and they will give me $350 for it. Once the new van comes, ill use the old van to do a few more run around and have the insurance on the 04 cancelled by December 6th.

Things I'll remove from the 04 before it goes:
Tires/rims (like new tires still)
Taillights
Trunk struts ( installed a few months ago lol)
Alternator (installed last year)
Battery ( 5 months old)
Driver side mirror
6 disc DVD player and radio/CD player
Aftermarket dash speakers and tweeters
All the bulbs ( most of em are LEDs anyways)

I'll probably pull most of the fuses/relays cause it's always good to have spares kicking around lol.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
Discussion starter · #24 ·
For those of you that are asking of pics of the new van...click on the link

Reactions: UN4GTBL
Discussion starter · #27 ·
Love the new van! But for the sentimental among us, could you post a final picture of the old girl? Thanks!
Don't you worry, I ain't sending her off without getting final pics of the van.

Reactions: Special Edy
Discussion starter · #32 ·
Well guys, the wreckers came and took the old girl last week Saturday. I will say, it was a sad day seeing it go. Resting odometer was 367,605 KMs.

I stripped every good part off of the van, most of which sold before the wreckers took the van. Great vans, this one ran great right up to when I took it all apart. When the wreckers came and got it, I was told it'd be crushed first thing Monday morning.

Here's a few final pics of me putting her to work and before dismantling

:cry: Poor van, you defaced it. May it rest in one piece. :)

Well, thanks for posting those final pics. Baron is right, should have saved that grill, I would love to have that grill on my van. I never saw a grill like that one before, with the chrome inserts. The body on your old van looks better than most of the Gen4 vans around here! I'm a bit worried though...You scrapped yours at 367,605 km which converts to 228419 miles. Mine has 248,000 miles and is still my daily driver...how much longer will it last??? Seriously, best of luck with your new one!

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Well, thanks for posting those final pics. Baron is right, should have saved that grill, I would love to have that grill on my van. I never saw a grill like that one before, with the chrome inserts. The body on your old van looks better than most of the Gen4 vans around here! I'm a bit worried though...You scrapped yours at 367,605 km which converts to 228419 miles. Mine has 248,000 miles and is still my daily driver...how much longer will it last??? Seriously, best of luck with your new one!
The grill inserts came off a 2003 GC ES. It was a direct fit on my van and matched the rest of the chrome that came with the anniversary prep package.

Like I said, the engine and transmission would have given me easily an extra 100,000 kms ( and I do agree, the body wasn't in too bad shape- rustproofing helped). If it wasn't for everything else failing around it, I for sure woulda kept it. But what it came down to was it worth fixing, and in my instance, it wasn't worth sinking the money into it.

There's no real expiration date on these vans lol. They just keep going until they can't. I hope the new one gives me the same kind of service the 04 did.

The grill inserts came off a 2003 GC ES. It was a direct fit on my van and matched the rest of the chrome that came with the anniversary prep package.

Like I said, the engine and transmission would have given me easily an extra 100,000 kms ( and I do agree, the body wasn't in too bad shape- rustproofing helped). If it wasn't for everything else failing around it, I for sure woulda kept it. But what it came down to was it worth fixing, and in my instance, it wasn't worth sinking the money into it.

There's no real expiration date on these vans lol. They just keep going until they can't. I hope the new one gives me the same kind of service the 04 did.
Statistically, newer cars last longer than older ones. Every year the tolerances get tighter, the engineering improves, the service intervals extend, and the Metallurgy improves.

Reactions: technician440
So those grill inserts simply bolt on? Just curious. Also, you ever notice that when old cars travel that last mile to the junkyard, it's nearly always gloomy and raining?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.