The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my winter tires off, it's a bit overdue. However, I don't have summer tires yet. I've looked around a bit and just not sure what to buy. Generally looking at General Altimax R43, is there a better tire?

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I put a set of RT43s on my van last year - great tire.
One of the best values around

·
Vendor
1,497 Posts
I’m a huge Goodyear guy, having had great luck on many vehicles, including my previous van (2 sets), multiple pickup trucks at work, and my current Nissan Rouge commuter.

In fact, my YJ may get a set of Adventurer AT’s, and I’ll have to buy 5 for it!

I’m kind of a rare duck with that opinion, however.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
I’m a huge Goodyear guy, having had great luck on many vehicles, including my previous van (2 sets), multiple pickup trucks at work, and my current Nissan Rouge commuter.

In fact, my YJ may get a set of Adventurer AT’s, and I’ll have to buy 5 for it!

I’m kind of a rare duck with that opinion, however.....

There's a deal on the Adventures now but Consumer reviews aren't so great per Tire Rack:

·
Vendor
1,497 Posts
There's a deal on the Adventures now but Consumer reviews aren't so great per Tire Rack:
They were my go to for my F150 and others in my fleet. Traction was incredible on any surface, and 65k miles was normal for wear.

The Comfortreads have poor reviews as well, but I didn’t have problems. Now I have Weathertreads on my AWD Rouge.

I suspect complainers don’t rotate properly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just put a set of Cooper Evolution Tour P225/65R17 on the 2014 Town & Country. Purchased via Wal-Mart's website in early March, then had to put them in the attic after all the Wal-Mart tire centers closed up shop in these parts. After 6 years and 53K miles the OE Kumhos were losing a few chunks of tread and exposing bits of steel. Overall very happy with the OE tires, but we only buy made-in-USA tires.

Got the Coopers for $77.89 each. With no end in sight for the Wal-Mart tire center closure, finally broke down last Tuesday and took them to the AAFES Firestone store for mounting. Also tossed in four new TPMS sensors (Mopar 56029398AB from eBay - under $40.00 for the whole set). Cost 100 beans for the mounting/balancing, but had to get the tires installed due to an upcoming road trip.

The verdict? Nice ride and very quiet...although I merely expect them to be black, round, and hold air for 50K miles. The UTQG is 600AB, which trumps the OE tires' 440AB rating. Tire Rack ratings are also pretty good:

I just checked walmart.com and tirerack.com. Both companies price them at $109.99 each. I guess I snagged a bargain:

Looks like you can get the Altimax for $116.99 each, which, for a 700AA tire looks to be one of the beat deals going right now. I'm pretty happy with the Coopers, though, especially for the price paid. Best of luck with your selection and purchase!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Les here. I have always run Michelin from Costco or Goodyear with good results. My used van came with Nitto winter tires, a division of Toyo. They gave great traction but were very poor as the belts seperated early on and caused front end issues. Not recommended in my opinion. I am now doing a test on Pirelli 4 season tires from Costco. It is claimed they work in true winter and summer driving conditions. We'll see when winter shows up with a foot of snow. Google them and see what you think. I'm still a big fan of summer only and winter only tires. But I'm from northern Canada and unless you live in Alaska this is the true test of what a tire can do.

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
Hi Les here. I have always run Michelin from Costco or Goodyear with good results. My used van came with Nitto winter tires, a division of Toyo. They gave great traction but were very poor as the belts seperated early on and caused front end issues. Not recommended in my opinion. I am now doing a test on Pirelli 4 season tires from Costco. It is claimed they work in true winter and summer driving conditions. We'll see when winter shows up with a foot of snow. Google them and see what you think. I'm still a big fan of summer only and winter only tires. But I'm from northern Canada and unless you live in Alaska this is the true test of what a tire can do.
I like the Pirelli 4 Season tire but have never bought one. Price wasn't right.

As for snow, don't expect much unless the tire has an open tread block pattern. Not many high mileage all season tires have that.
From: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P4+Four+Seasons+Plus
P4 Four Seasons Plus tires combine ride comfort, low noise and reduced rolling resistance with long life and four-season traction on dry, wet and wintry roads, even in light snow.
"Even in light snow" pretty well qualifies it as not much snow traction. Most of the benefits would be for sideways traction (open center grooves) but forward traction, not so much.

Many all season tires now days have the extra tread ply. The new version of the Defender does as well.
The Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus features an optimized casing profile with an internal structure that includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon to combine long wear, ride quality and durability. Polyester cord body plies combine strength with ride comfort.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree. I run Michelin Ice on my wifes car. They work well on packed snow. Thats what they are designed for. Best for commuter driving in city traffic where most people operate. It has to do with contact patch. But when they get into some deep snow not so great. Pirelli claims that this tire is a true 4 season tire. If you live in the country a spaced tread block is much better for chewing through the snow but has limitations on wet and slippery surfaces. Think motocross bike tires. Great for mud and dirt but horrible for wet street use. Pleas don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
735 Posts
We just got the General Altimax RT43 tires a couple of weeks ago. Replaced Goodyear tires that wore out too fast. I’ve had the Altimax tires before on a 4th generation van and loved them.

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
I agree. I run Michelin Ice on my wifes car. They work well on packed snow. Thats what they are designed for. Best for commuter driving in city traffic where most people operate. It has to do with contact patch. But when they get into some deep snow not so great. Pirelli claims that this tire is a true 4 season tire. If you live in the country a spaced tread block is much better for chewing through the snow but has limitations on wet and slippery surfaces. Think motocross bike tires. Great for mud and dirt but horrible for wet street use. Pleas don't ask me how I know this.
Maybe that's why worn tires have better dry pavement braking than newer tires, but not so much in the wet.. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I need to get my winter tires off, it's a bit overdue. However, I don't have summer tires yet. I've looked around a bit and just not sure what to buy. Generally looking at General Altimax R43, is there a better tire?
One question you should consider is how long are you planning on keeping your van and how many miles will you put on the new tires. If you are going to put only 30-40k miles on, then go cheap. If you are going a lot longer, get a good set. One good set is cheaper than 2 cheap sets.

I usually go Michelin and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recommend Nokian entyre 2.0. Nokian eNTYRE 2.0. Low price but high quality and made out of silica rubber blend so it has good traction in all temperatures.
UTQG Rating : 720 A A

·
Registered
63 Posts
With fingers crossed, I purchased 4 Supermax HT-1 tires online from Walmart- I think it came to $232 with tax for all four, delivered. They were made 03/2020-
Mounted and spin balanced today for 21.95 per tire. The ride felt fine driving home. The tread appears to be ideal for Florida-
The tire installer told me that Michelin are the worst tires for Florida = dry rot issues from the heat. I measured the tread depth on the new ones at 10/32" --
The old tires were Tire Kingdom's Aspen Touring, with a 440-A-B and 100T speed rating. The new ones are 600-A-A, 100H. These should hold up better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts