The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I looked into the Gabriel Strut " ready mounts" further this week after talking to the technician at Gabriel they are the Gabriel Ultra strut which is a velocity sensing G force style strut in that assembly. On most of the boxes the ready mounts are made in the USA or Mexico depending on the part number. For the 05 TC they are manufactured in Mexico but tested/ inspected in the USA. I asked on ride hight, and any issues that they have had with the Strut mount noise. They hadn't had any problems with those part numbers, and the ride height was equal to factory height. He explained their testing process with machines and actual road test on each specific style of vehicle. This was a Gabriel technician but was very helpful! The part numbers for the van are G56957 pass side, G56956 Drivers side. I know one person said they had them on their van but anyone else have them on currently?

·
fix it if you can
5,220 Posts
I asked on ride hight, and any issues that they have had with the Strut mount noise. They hadn't had any problems with those part numbers, and the ride height was equal to factory height. He explained their testing process with machines and actual road test on each specific style of vehicle.
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from anything but would like to point out that some of these minivans have sharply different handling characteristics from having specific set of suspension components. These are based on trim levels, factory options, and it seems model years.
The aftermarket quick strut is a one size fits all solution and is probably derived from the base model vans or some average of most produced components..

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 50 part spring numbers are for the whole van.
In reality, the part numbers for the front is much smaller. (I looked them up a year ago)

Take a look at the Union spring catalog:

http://www.union-spring.com/catalog.asp?mfg=CHRYSLER TRUCK

one for the short wheelbase, 3 for the long wheelbase (depending on year and model)

The Union springs are also sold with a Husky label on them and a SC prefix added to the part number.

http://www.huskyspring.com/Coil-Spring-Set-Straight-Rate-Front_p_709.html
With the push towards reducing weight on vehicles, the manufacturers have made the springs lighter.

They can and do break more frequently than the older vehicles which had a simpler suspension and thick coil springs w/shock absorbers.
The referenced source doesn't support the OSFA claims.

When I look at the linked Pontotoc spring catalog distributed by mw industries I see 6 different springs for the 2000 119" WB. Of the 3 different springs for 3.8L AWD models, only one is used on 2WD models, and then only the heaviest high end 2WD models, or lightest low end AWD models. Given that the AWD models were a small fraction of the production, its more reasonable to expect that the pre-assembled mass market struts have springs for mid market 2WD vans. Those springs would be overloaded, giving a low ride height that would put the strut damper off its normal center point, and give a half stiff ride with asymmetric damping.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used the Napa Sensatrac Quickstruts on my 02, along with the sway bar kit. The ride is wonderful, totally quiet. I'd give them three thumbs up if I could.

I tried the Gabriel version of the quick struts on my old 99 G.Voyager. The mounts failed in 3000 miles. Replaced under warranty, 3000mi later failed again. Replaced with Monroe mounts....no more problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Any time I've looked at the specs it seemed like NAPA Response shocks and struts were really Monroe Sensa Tracs, just painted blue and half the price. Also with less of a warranty, as I found out with my daughter's Jeep when three of the four NAPA shocks crapped out just under the three year warranty. I got four new ones for free and changed them again myself, but it was still a hassle to have to do it. Sensa Tracs cost more but are lifetime warranty. Sears had a deal for free installation so I just took the van there a couple weeks ago for shocks and struts both. If they crap out, it's on them.

It rides much better now. I just bought it a month ago with 97,000 on the clock and they were original. It's at the shop today getting new front brakes and rotors. It had a current inspection but whatever brakes are on the front turn the wheels black in three days. Getting NAPA'$ Ultra Premium rotor$ and ceramic pads, which I've had good luck with and virtually no dust on our other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Just posting an update to this thread based on some research I have done recently, and this keeps everything together

Pontotoc Spring is the successor to Union Spring & Manufacturing Corp.
Pontotoc Spring itself was sold to MW Industries Inc. in 2012
http://www.mw-ind.com/locations/pontotoc

According to this article from 2012:
"Pontotoc Spring includes a hot-wound coil spring plant and a metal stamping operation, according to the website. It has 105 employees and supplies aftermarket coil springs for the automotive aftermarket, and the products are sold under other brand names at Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and other retailers.
"It's the only domestic manufacturer of automotive aftermarket springs," McWilliams said."

Union Spring sells Mississippi facility:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...pring-sells-mississippi-facility.html?s=print

The Pontotoc catalog lists 3 springs for the 4th gen, one of them is specifically for the SWB
http://www.mw-ind.com/distributor-tools-pontotoc-spring-catalog
An excerpt is below.

The Pontotoc interchange website is interesting since it appears Pontotoc makes the springs for NAPA, AC/DELCO,Rockwell (Husky Spring), and Moog, (this may include Raybestos as well)
http://www.mw-ind.com/distributor-tools-pontotoc-part-number-interchange

We can obtain some technical info on the springs from the NAPA website doing a reverse lookup:

Part Number: NCP 2773404 (Pontotoc 20436)
Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts
Attributes:
Coil Spring Free Height : 14.96" Driver Side/13.97" Pass. Side
Coil Spring I.D. : 5.50"
Coil Spring Load Height : 7"
Coil Spring Type : 1 Square End; 1 Pigtail End
Design Load : 1114 Driver Side/975 Pass. Side
Spring Rate : 140
Wire Diameter : .58"
Important Information:
w/ 113.3" Wheelbase
-----------------------------------------------------
Part Number: NCP 2773509 (Pontotoc 20612)
Attributes:
Coil Spring Free Height : Driver Side 16.5" / Pass. Side 15.71"
Coil Spring I.D. : Driver Side 5.58" / Pass. Side 5.58"
Coil Spring Load Height : Driver Side 7" / Pass. Side 7"
Coil Spring Type : 2 Pigtail Ends
Design Load : Driver Side 1330 / Pass. Side 1220
Spring Rate : Driver Side 140 / Pass. Side 140
Wire Diameter : Driver Side .58" / Pass. Side .58"
Important Information:
w/ 119" Wheelbase
---------------------------------------
Part Number: NCP 2773510 (Pontotoc 20614)
Attributes:
Coil Spring Free Height : Driver Side 16.5" / Pass. Side 14.96"
Design Load : Driver Side 1330 / Pass. Side 0.0
Important Information:
w/ 119" Wheelbase
--------------------------------------------------
Part Number: NCP 2773511 (Pontotoc 20616)
Attributes:
Coil Spring Free Height : Driver Side 15.71" / Pass. Side 14.96"
Design Load : Driver Side 1220 / Pass. Side 0.0
----------------------------

·
fix it if you can
5,220 Posts
Nice, now if we only knew what the OEM Chrysler spring specs were for assembly plant suppliers..

·
Registered
212 Posts
If Mopar sells a loaded strut go with that.
Then all you need to do is remove the assembly on the van and replace.
No messing with spring retainers etc.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No offense, but "Smooth ride" is like saying "premium interior."

What you really need is proper damping. What's your van setup? wheelbase, engine size, trim level, what do you haul, etc? You need to pick a shock with a damping rate appropriate for your van's weight and hauling use.

One of the things I ran into on a GM vehicle I was trying to get back to stock ride height and spring rate is that the original springs installed at the factory had 16 different variations for option level, tow package, vehicle configuration, etc. The GM replacement spring selection had ONE part number.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Smooth like,soft ride,,not feeling every bump on the road.Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 2003,3.8L,automatic. I never haul anything at all.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just a few month ago, I replace both OEM front struts on our 01 DGC EX with Gabriel quick struts G56956 ($124.46) and G56957 ($139.81). They have a nice firm ride and on bumpy streets, feel really good. In turns, there is little body lean and the front sits up to factory hight. There is a limited lifetime warranty too. Some, I'm very pleased with them.

·
Old-er motorhead
1,309 Posts
Just a few month ago, I replace both OEM front struts on our 01 DGC EX with Gabriel quick struts G56956 ($124.46) and G56957 ($139.81). They have a nice firm ride and on bumpy streets, feel really good. In turns, there is little body lean and the front sits up to factory hight. There is a limited lifetime warranty too. Some, I'm very pleased with them.
One of my new KYB units failed sooo...Monroe‘s were my next attempt. (this will be the third set of struts in 2000 miles) IMHO, Monroe matches OEM specs far better then my past two attempts. FCS‘s were total garbage, raised the front by 3” inches, stiff ride and poor bearings. (but low cost) KYB‘s were firmer then OEM...not bad...it’s a personal decision. All but the Monroe’s were made of solid Chinesium and seemed to have quality control issues as evidenced by warp speed failures. Time will tell on the Monroe’s...

My 2 cents,

·
3rd gen > all others
3,009 Posts
^^ Were those FCS struts for the correct application? I believe they were intended for the long wheelbase van, and yours is short wheelbase. I would welcome a lift like that in my van!

·
Old-er motorhead
1,309 Posts
^^ Were those FCS struts for the correct application? I believe they were intended for the long wheelbase van, and yours is short wheelbase. I would welcome a lift like that in my van!
None of the major suppliers differentiated between the wheel base...I even called KYB to confirm the correct part number. One of the biggest issues I had with FCS was a very firm ride and poor ability to find center. (bearing issue) I happen to run across a post (somewhere) with a disassembly video of a failed FCS strut-coil unit. The poster commented about the top bearing and mentioned “the bearing design may cause a raised ride height“. (or something like that) Perhaps I just ended up with bad units...

Is it possible your current springs have rusted or fatigued to the point sagging?

·
3rd gen > all others
3,009 Posts
I double checked on Rock Auto. There is ONLY one strut that caters to the short wheelbase which is usually listed as Caravan, and that's MOOG. All the others that list the same part number fitting a Caravan or Grand Caravan, will have too stiff of a spring for the short wheelbase Caravan. Also, I wonder how much the self-leveling rear suspension makes a difference? I wouldn't think a short van would have Nivomats in the rear, so those struts that say Exc. self-leveling rear shocks would be a better match. When in doubt, better to buy the bare strut and swap over your springs and other parts.

Being the FCS struts were so high, maybe it was the reduction in caster angle that they caused, making the steering wheel harder to return to center. I know our 2005 Dodge Magnum was like that (steering wheel wouldn't center) until I installed updated upper control arms that changed the caster angle.

My springs don't look that rusted, that I remember. Haven't looked at them closely in a while. I wonder if they were replaced with quick struts at some point? That would explain the much lower ride height in the front, as those springs are weaker (and my van is AWD, so extra weight in the front). I'm swapping in a pair of 2004-2008 Pacifica strut assemblies (used) to get some lift. If the spring is the same height, I will get 1 1/4" lift from the spring perch being that much farther away from the knuckle than the van strut. I also have strut mount spacers to go on top of that for another 1 1/4" of lift.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quick update November 2020 - I bought the higher end Monroe quick struts (171572R & L); the first pair's shocks were about shot in 30k miles; the second pair, the springs have nearly collapsed in 35k miles. Since we travel heavy, I went ahead and bought Moog 81128 springs (the tallest I could find) and will be disassembling the struts to install them. The shocks are still good, so I'll roll with them for awhile. The bellows also don't last very long, so I'm upgrading to Moogs this time. The upper strut mounts seem fine so I'm just replacing the lower strut isolators; they're cheap on Rock Auto.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
588 Posts
I'd replace the strut mounts personally. I've had two strut mount bearings fail on my Grand Voyager, and I had a strut mount completely shear through which made the spring blow the strut assembly apart and fold my tire up under the van.

I recommend renting two strut spring compressors, one for each side of the spring. I've never been able to compress the spring enough for assembly with one compressor alone on the 3rd or 4th gen assembly.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,009 Posts
You have to match the bearing manufacturer to the strut mount manufacturer to get the best guaranteed fit. I found out Mevotech bearings won't fit into the stock upper mounts because of different bearing diameters. Cheap parts - avoid!

To update my story, my struts were sagging because they WERE cheap FCS quick struts. Total garbage, completely avoid them. They had the wrong spring heights brand new, and wrong spring rate. My van had terrible sagging on the engine-side, which Chrysler would put a longer spring on. FCS used identical springs for both sides, causing the heavy engine side to sag and even bottom out over bumps, causing body damage. I tossed in some used Pacifica struts that did lift the front of my van(along with strut mount spacers), and restored handling to where it should have been all along.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
588 Posts
You have to match the bearing manufacturer to the strut mount manufacturer to get the best guaranteed fit. I found out Mevotech bearings won't fit into the stock upper mounts because of different bearing diameters. Cheap parts - avoid!

To update my story, my struts were sagging because they WERE cheap FCS quick struts. Total garbage, completely avoid them. They had the wrong spring heights brand new, and wrong spring rate. My van had terrible sagging on the engine-side, which Chrysler would put a longer spring on. FCS used identical springs for both sides, causing the heavy engine side to sag and even bottom out over bumps, causing body damage. I tossed in some used Pacifica struts that did lift the front of my van(along with strut mount spacers), and restored handling to where it should have been all along.
IIRC, on a single year of 3rd gen vans alone, there were 17 different spring part numbers. Every single time the subject comes up, I always tell members to never use quick strut springs.

I have 4th gen Monroe struts ($5 each on clearance!), 3rd gen KYB mounts, and Eibach drop springs. There wasn't a left and right spring on the Eibach set, perhaps the different left/right spring was a 4th gen problem? Still wish my van was about an inch lower on the front...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts