The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
07 Grand Caravan (3.3L), 14 Dart SXT (2.0L)
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nut thingy that's inside the frame of one of my exhaust hangers is stripped. The bolt is fine, but the nut that's I guess welded to the frame is totally stripped won't even hold one thread. How would I fix this? What would be the correct way and what would be the cheapest way? Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tap it to the next size larger bolt.

Dan

Reactions: Special Edy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drill and tap it to the next bigger size.
Is there any cheapo way to tap it without buying a kit? Like using an old bolt as a tap? lol

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
188 Posts
Is there any cheapo way to tap it without buying a kit? Like using an old bolt as a tap? lol
No right way, no.

I have gotten desperate before, and ground a taper on the end of a slightly larger bolt, cut a few longways grooves in it so it resembles a tap, covered it in oil, and just ran it in the best I could.

I wouldn't suggest it, though. The bolt can break off, or it can just wallow the hole out bigger.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
507 Posts
I wouldn't do it to my van, because you likely won't be able to get it out, but a toggle bolt.

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Room to weld a nut on the surface?

A J-B Weld combo job?

I don't know how big they make the compressible inserts that are used on the Jeep, but there's a thought. I think they are called rivet nuts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Room to weld a nut on the surface?

A J-B Weld combo job?
There is room to weld a nut to the surface, just don't have a welder. What paste/epoxy/jbweld would you recommend?

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
507 Posts
Go get a frame out of the junkyard and swap entire van onto the donor chassis.

Make sure you get the title for the new vin...

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
188 Posts
Or, go to Harbor Freight and get an inexpensive welder. They are incredibly handy to have when things need fixed.

Even their cheap flux core machines are OK. I have had one for years. They can be had for ~$90 when they are on sale.

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
These rivet nuts go up to 3/8". They are cool to use. The Jeep has them. Maybe they are available in larger size. Just drill a hole, put one in and compress it with a tool that's usually provided.

I don't believe those ones are compressible. They are forced in.
The ones I used were. OK, I was using nutserts.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
507 Posts
Or, if you can keep your van in a near perfect vacuum environment for a couple of years, the metal will cold weld together. Low Earth Orbit should be sufficient.🤓

Reactions: TechiePocket1

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Or, if you can keep your van in a near perfect vacuum environment for a couple of years, the metal will cold weld together. Low Earth Orbit should be sufficient.🤓
Is that guaranteed? :)

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
507 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Improvise:
Use "forced in place" rivet nut, using old hole or drilling new one.
Use threaded rod in the insert.
Bend rod to line up with your hanger, perhaps by prebending it.
Clamp the two together with small u bolt cable clamps
Just sayin. :)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,954 Posts
That nut is in a hydroformed crossmember of the "frame" right? It might be easier to use a clipnut, like the type used on the radiator for the fans. You could use a dremel with a small cutting disk to make a slot/square hole in the crossmember at the bottom, slide the clip in and mark where to drill the vertical hole, remove it and drill the hole. Then reinsert the clip with the nut/threaded part of the clip inside the crossmember, and bolt on your hanger.

Reactions: TechiePocket1

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found there was a slot just big enough for me to fit my hand in with a wrench into the frame. Stuck a smaller sized bolt through with the nut on the other side and tightened down. Seems pretty secure for now but I'll probably fix the thread by taping to the next size later on.

Reactions: jm70

·
Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
You didn't tell us about that slot. Just pickin brains? :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts