The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Sticky gas pedal.

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Road Ripper 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 05 T&C 3.8 with 120k on it. My gas pedal was sticking, I tore apart the TB and it had ALOT of black soot, like my chimney gets in comparison. I cleaned all of it, didn't remove the plenum.It stopped the sticky pedal. 2500 later pedal is sticky again. Took airboot off of TB looks like soot buildup again. Anyone know why this is. My dodge caravan 3.3 with 239k on it was reasonably dirty for the mileage, nothing like this turd I bought.

#2 ·
On the top back of the engine is a PVC valve. Follow the hose. It's AFTER the air intake filter. All of the PVC oily messy blow-by and moisture gets dumped directly into the TB via the intake and into the plenum. Some folks have re-routed this hose placing it before the filter. Others use the old school catch can. Some elect to use just an enclosed large transparent fuel filter just before the hose gets to the air-intake box.

A Plymouth Duster or Dodge Dart 1970 - 1980 era fuel filter is the typical route. Just needs to be replaced once a year or so.

This sludge build-up also diminishes the MPG over time. With the catch can option, the messy sludge and the hot gases do not return to the air-intake dox, thus allowing the better MPG. Outside cool air is best on the intake, not hot gases.

#4 ·
On the top back of the engine is a PVC valve. Follow the hose. It's AFTER the air intake filter. All of the PVC oily messy blow-by and moisture gets dumped directly into the TB via the intake and into the plenum. Some folks have re-routed this hose placing it before the filter. Others use the old school catch can. Some elect to use just an enclosed large transparent fuel filter just before the hose gets to the air-intake box.

A Plymouth Duster or Dodge Dart 1970 - 1980 era fuel filter is the typical route. Just needs to be replaced once a year or so.

This sludge build-up also diminishes the MPG over time. With the catch can option, the messy sludge and the hot gases do not return to the air-intake dox, thus allowing the better MPG. Outside cool air is best on the intake, not hot gases.
Thanx. Gonna try the filter.

#10 ·
2001 can have EGR also. The 2005 vans seemed to have more of a habit of using oil, so more blow-by is my guess. More oil sucked into plenum makes the EGR gases stickier. Install a catch can in the REAR PCV line between the valve and the plenum inlet, to separate oil from air and keep the sludge out of the intake plenum. The front valve cover only needs a mini air filter breather, so the stock setup is fine. If you want, you can cap the line on the air filter box to delete the long hose, and just run a small intake filter/breather on the front valve cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.