The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to drop the spare tire today (not important why) and now I'm trying to put it back up. I centered it under there and started turning the thingy. It started clicking while the tire was still on the ground. I tried lifting the tire to take the weight off while my wife cranked. It still clicked. It's getting late, so I figured I'd just drop it for now and work on it some other time. Now I can't get the cable to come down either. It turns about 5 turns and clicks on loosening too. So I can't get it up or down... any tricks to making the thing work instead of clicking?

·
Registered
352 Posts
turn it in the loosen direction and pull the cable, it sounds like the cables bound enough that the ratcheting mechenism thinks its up all the way. maybe you can pull it loose.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a mechanism that you can open with a screw driver to drop it and then you have to close it so it will engage.
Here is video that is kind of long but it may show you what I am referring to. Look here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I've got an issue as well.

2005 DGC Stow n Go, so spare in between drivers and passenger seat from the bottom.

The winch keeps clicking in each direction (about a click every 1/4 turn with the remove tool). The wheel dropped few inches and now it's not moving much in either direction.

I'll try to make it to my buddy's garage, lift the whole care and try to get it off, but will welcome any ideas.

Is the winch replaceable if it's busted?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
On my 2002 (rear mount) I had the same experience. Mine was replaceable (bolted in place) but I was able to repair mine.

There is a little mechanism that locks the 'dog bone' so that the wheel weight is not hanging on the cable. You'll need to actuate that lock (you'll be able to see it with a light and being on a lift at a buddy's shop will make it easier.

A friction clip pulls the lock 'wire' to OPEN when you are rotating it in the CCW direction and opposite when, well, turning opposite. Its a very simple mechanism.

The clicking is that a part has separated inside (it forms a cable spool) and the attach point of the cable end is slipping past its 'keeper hole' * "click" * "click"

NEVER let anyone raise or lower the tire with an impact gun or even a drill motor.... Lazy &#^#%[email protected]$....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
So, I was able to disassemble the thing when I got it unbolted and on the work bench. I figured it out and then was able to replace the push rivets with larger 3/16" pop rivets (I used SS not aluminum) * but you gotta get the correct grip range so it doesn't take up too much space) I may have back drilled it to allow the head to expand into a larger stepped hole.

I lubricated mine in some places, but keep in mind that one part works on friction, so don't lube those parts.

I also had a few broken clips that hold the whole thing together and I used some SS lock wire to lash it fast. Duct tape and bailing wire is sometimes the best approach.

Please let us know what you find and how you end up fixing it. A few pictures and your take on it would be a great addition to the forum.
Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So yesterday I've had the car lifted on jacks, and even with a second person in the car and yanking on the spare from under the car, trying all sorts of "one turn CCW, two turns CW" (sometimes it'd make more turns without clicking this way) I was not able to lower it enough to even see the cable.

Eventually I've at least managed to pull it back all the way up. At least I've got that tire plugged. :D

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Yeah, I know the frustration of that thing... but I certainly do not know what it is like mounted mid vehicle.

In fact, I can't imagine that, working a flat on the road side. A curb blocking the off road side and the danger of lying in the gutter as traffic zoomed by, me between the disabled vehicle and death...

Anyway, that video I posted showed the locking mechanism, that stamped steel block. That is what you need to pry out in order to get the wheel assembly down to access the cable.

At that point it will be clear what is required to remove the mechanism and repair as required.

I guess I was not clear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah it is ridiculous, I decided I am not even going to bother trying to get it working.

I've now got the tire plug kit for obvious screw holes, I might get some of the sticky foam for when you can't find the puncture, and as a last resort I've already got road assistance. Aaand I carry the Milwaukee M12 Inflator, so with slow leaks I can just refill and make it home/to a shop (which is what I did with this flat tire now when I found out the spare won't come down). :D

·
fix it if you can
5,045 Posts
FYI: when operating any spare winch, the cable needs to be under tension - never crank the winch with loose cable (it tangles up on the spool and the whole mechanism gets stuck, thus the clicking)

The secondary (safety) latch on the spare holder can and does get rusted / build up with crud if you don't take the time to lower, clean and inspect the spare annually... On these vans with "mid ship" spare, it's pretty hard to get at the safety latch without a lift (even on a lift you're working blind so study the pics of the mechanism and know what you need to pry on)

·
Registered
43 Posts
With my '05 stow'n'go GC, I had my wife and two teenage kids out in the garage so I could instruct them how to put on the spare if they ever had to. The winch allowed the spare to drop about 5 inches, and that was it; end of lesson. :mad:

I got a Dorman replacement winch on Amazon, which worked fine, but never continued the tire-changing lesson. I'll need to try the winch on my recently purchased '05 T&C sometime soon, BEFORE I finish the lesson, 2 years (or so) later.

·
Registered
3 Posts

2005 DGC Stow n Go, so spare in between drivers and passenger seat from the bottom.

The winch keeps clicking in each direction (about a click every 1/4 turn with the remove tool). The wheel dropped few inches and now it's not moving much in either direction.

I'll try to make it to my buddy's garage, lift the whole care and try to get it off, but will welcome any ideas.

I'll

Yes 85 dollars on rockauto. Mine did this the cable was so twisted and stick we ended up having to cut the cable and remove and replace the winch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts