The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi AWD
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accidentally stumbled upon this video while trying to figure out which RockAuto listings for carrier and pinion bearings were the right ones I should order for my 3rd gen. Thought I'd leave it here to save any 4th gen AWD owners some bucks. TL;DW you can buy and easily modify a Duralast (Autozone) or Timken HB3039 centre support bearing, meant for BMW 3 series models, to fit 4th gen AWD minivans.

Before you run out and buy yourself an HB3039, however, the van in the video is an '03 and I remember being told that the AWD driveline underwent some changes over the course of the 4th gen's production run. A review on the Autozone page for the Duralast branded product said it fit an '02 with the modification performed. It's safe to say it works for '02 and '03 models, but perhaps Dan or another AWD expert could chime in here to confirm whether it also works for '01s and '04s or not.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,394 Posts
2002 - 2004 used the same driveline parts. 2001 the only difference was the shorter front propeller shaft with a slightly bigger front joint on the shaft, and matching flange/PTU output shaft that was longer to make up for the length difference. Since the rear driveshaft was the same length, it is probably the same part from 2001-2004. Makes a little sense that a BMW part would fit, since Getrag (a German company) made the AWD parts for Chrysler along with driveline parts for BMW.

Reactions: JCrust13
1 - 2 of 2 Posts