The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition. 3.6L, 211kW
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I’ve been dealing with a thump from the front left when going over bumps. When I drive over a bump head on with both wheels at the same time then there’s no thump but if I drive over it diagonally with front left wheel going over the bump first then there’s a soft thump.
I’ve had both front strut mounts with bearings replaced. They said that the front right mount was shot but other than that they didn’t find anything unusual.
I don’t know if I’m reaching here. Maybe I’m trying to find an issue when there’s actually no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
Sounds sway bar related due to twisting action, which is different in the two scenarios described.

Most likely bushings, but since struts wee replaced, might be the links, as they would have been disconnected at the strut. The nuts there can back off on their own, after being worked on.

Let it be and see if it gets worse. If either of the above, it will get worse.

What struts did you use? Don't rule them out either.

My guess: Sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds sway bar related due to twisting action, which is different in the two scenarios described.

Most likely bushings, but since struts wee replaced, might be the links, as they would have been disconnected at the strut. The nuts there can back off on their own, after being worked on.

Let it be and see if it gets worse. If either of the above, it will get worse.

What struts did you use? Don't rule them out either.

My guess: Sway bar bushings.
Struts weren’t replaced. Just strut mounts and bearings.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
Struts weren’t replaced. Just strut mounts and bearings.

OK, they would have disconnected the links to take the struts out, to do the mounts and bearings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, they would have disconnected the links to take the struts out, to do the mounts and bearings.
I guess I should just let it be and see if it gets worse? Otherwise if the problem is not obvious then I could basically end up replacing every part which is not reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
I guess I should just let it be and see if it gets worse? Otherwise if the problem is not obvious then I could basically end up replacing every part which is not reasonable.

Exactly.

What brand of mount and bearing did you use? Is the noise coming from the same side that was bad?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Exactly.

What brand of mount and bearing did you use? Is the noise coming from the same side that was bad?
They used OEM parts. The side that they said was really bad was the passenger side not the one that I hear while sitting at the driver seat. If I let my wife drive and sit on the passenger seat myself then I can’t hear the thump.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
Does it feel like it's under your feet? If so, it's a sway bar bushing.

One fix is to have your wife do all the driving. :)

Reactions: LEVY
1 - 10 of 10 Posts