The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
281 - 300 of 321 Posts
Plastic sucks, that's why this thread has been going on for years. I don't want to regurgitate the whole long thread on galvanic corrosion if using the brass PEX fitting (it's 3/4" btw), it ends up creeping up to the clamps and turns them cruddy and they will fail due to corrosion, go back ten or so pages and read up on the whole long discussion. I am not trying to sell anything, just passing along the experiences.
Is not just the clamp, it kills your radiator and you will never know why your radiator srarted leaking.

Why even risk it when you have the correct one readily available at a good price?

This is a common enough problem that this thread should be stickied. I had to find it by doing a google search with this site's name in the search bar. Anyway, a friend's 2008 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 had this problem, and nearly stranded her! The front plastic Y leaked/sprayed coolant from the parting line in the plastic molded part. I temporarily bypassed the rear heater using straight hose for now, and will be rebuilding the original heater hose assemblies using aluminum fittings to avoid galvanic corrosion. Thank goodness it wasn't the lower intake manifold gasket leaking. This will be an easy fix compared to that.

I want to thank Gzukoff (ebay newyorkbuyer) for putting together and selling the cast Y repair kit. I bought a couple of kits recently and will be using them to fix our friend's 2008 rear heater hoses. I put one assembly together already using the old hoses, and I like the non-barbed ends on the cast Ys. Support the members who support us!

Reactions: gzukoff
Thanks for the support! The cast Y kit works very well in this application and is very cost effective. It is a universal Y fitting so it can be used in any vehicle that has the 5/8" plastic Y but for some reason, people seem to like the welded Y better.

Get Gates EPDM hose, which could last out minivan's lifespan. Also get soft hose type hose clamp.

follow up on the Dorman quality. Since the Dorman aluminum kit included both Y-connectors, I had replaced both of them originally around October 2016 when one of the OE plastic Y-connectors cracked and leaked. In Nov. 2017 (approx 15k miles later), the Dorman had leaks in the small front hose at the clamp. Replaced that hose and clamp. By January 2018 it sprung another leak in one of the rear hoses. Replaced clamp and the leak is smaller but not sealed, so the hose is bad too. While the Dorman aluminum Y-connector has held up, the hoses and clamps on the Dorman kit are crap.

I'm gonna have all 6 hoses and all clamps replaced with Gates green-stripe hose and some plumber's-quality heavy duty hose clamps and get this fixed once and for all.

Another vote for the one sold here by user gzukoff (ebayer newyorkbuyer).

gzukoff,

Maybe you can get more business from your creation. GM trucks have same problem in their plastic heater "T" connect, please see the following link:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/gruven-heater-core-t-connectors.107087/

Thanks for the support! The cast Y kit works very well in this application and is very cost effective. It is a universal Y fitting so it can be used in any vehicle that has the 5/8" plastic Y but for some reason, people seem to like the welded Y better.

Sorry I am a little late to this thread. BUT! I have had many issues with this little pipe. The hoses and “y” pipe together are called the auxiliary heater hoses and there should be 2 of them. One inlet to rear heater and one outlet from rear heater. Have them replaced with metal parts immediately! I had one rupture and leave my wife stranded. I replaced it with an OEM part and had it rupture AGAIN! I found a replacement part from Dorman that I bought from RockAuto that uses aluminum “y”s that was only $50 for both. Do yourself a favor and replace them now.

Dorman's aluminum Ys are okay and much better than anything plastic, but the quality of the hoses and hose clamps in the Dorman kit are Chinese Replacement Automotive Parts. They will last maybe 12-18 months before you start springing leaks. Keep the Y-tubes, since you've already purchased them, but replace all 6 hoses & clamps next time you have scheduled maintenance to do. See 4 or 5 posts above.

Sorry I am a little late to this thread. BUT! I have had many issues with this little pipe. The hoses and “y” pipe together are called the auxiliary heater hoses and there should be 2 of them. One inlet to rear heater and one outlet from rear heater. Have them replaced with metal parts immediately! I had one rupture and leave my wife stranded. I replaced it with an OEM part and had it rupture AGAIN! I found a replacement part from Dorman that I bought from RockAuto that uses aluminum “y”s that was only $50 for both. Do yourself a favor and replace them now.

THIS THIS THIS! For this particular problem, ALWAYS BUY THE ALUMINUM ONE! I will verify that the plastic Dorman model is worse than factory.

I definitely recommend replacing the Y that is directly connected to the thermostat with a metal version. I had two of the OEM versions fail both around 70K and now have a metal one at 150K. I am going to replace the other Y as a precaution, it is the original, I was wondering how do you disconnect the special fitting that looks like a quick connect type fitting?

I wanted to follow up on the Dorman quality. Since the Dorman aluminum kit included both Y-connectors, I had replaced both of them originally around October 2016 when one of the OE plastic Y-connectors cracked and leaked. In Nov. 2017 (approx 15k miles later), the Dorman had leaks in the small front hose at the clamp. Replaced that hose and clamp. By January 2018 it sprung another leak in one of the rear hoses. Replaced clamp and the leak is smaller but not sealed, so the hose is bad too. While the Dorman aluminum Y-connector has held up, the hoses and clamps on the Dorman kit are crap.

I'm gonna have all 6 hoses and all clamps replaced with Gates green-stripe hose and some plumber's-quality heavy duty hose clamps and get this fixed once and for all.

Another vote for the one sold here by user gzukoff (ebayer newyorkbuyer).
I'm all about supporting the small business owner and the like. :cool:

Wow... 30 pages of discussion and praising this elusive member qzukoff's welded aluminum Y, to finally learn that they are available directly through private message! :huh:
From what I can remember, he was selling it through eBay for a couple years, now it looks like he is only selling the cast wye on there. Yes, he offers the Dorman as well...

281 - 300 of 321 Posts