The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Small Coolant Drip from "Y" tube???

285K views 320 replies 92 participants last post by  TFRipper 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
HI!
I have a 2010 T&C Touring with 35,500 miles on it.
I noticed on friday that there was a funky smell - sweet and burning. I looked in the engine and noticed a drip fall and steam on a large silver metal tube on the drivers side of the engine. The drip came from a "Y" type tube and the liquid is coolant. I am not over heating and the coolant is full. It i just a small slow drip that when the engine is heated it smells.
Can anyone tell me what this part is called???

Service was not open over the weekend - and we needed the car - so I tried to plug the leak with a plastic putty but it did not work. Did I void the warranty???

Help if you can! Thanks!!!

#3 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for your response! I don' t see plastic crimps holding it in place ...
Can you look at the attached pic and tell me if we are talking about the same thing?

And do you know why it is not a warranty repair? I don't want to take it to the dealer to repair if they will charge me more than my local trusted car guy.

What is the piece called? So the car tech will know what I am talking about when I call.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jen

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for your response! I don' t see plastic crimps holding it in place ...
Can you look at the attached pic and tell me if we are talking about the same thing?

And do you know why it is not a warranty repair? I don't want to take it to the dealer to repair if they will charge me more than my local trusted car guy.

What is the piece called? So the car tech will know what I am talking about when I call.

Thanks so much for your help!

Jen
Your blue arrow is pointing directly at the plastic crimped on clamp assembly.......

#4 ·
Check with the dealer first to find out if you're still under the 3 year 36k mile warranty. If so, anything besides brake consumable parts (pads/rotors), tires, wireless headphones, and maybe some lights should be covered, and that (in my opinion) should include leaking hoses. Outside of 3 years, it won't be covered under the powertrain warranty. At 35,500 miles, you're definitely good there, but it depends on the in-service date of the vehicle.

At least give them a chance to shoot you down. The warranty should be pretty cut and dry - in warranty and you should be covered, out of warranty and you won't be covered.

2.1 Basic Limited Warranty
A. Who Is Covered?
You are covered by the Basic Limited Warranty if
you are a purchaser for use of the vehicle.
B. What’s Covered
The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all
parts and labor needed to repair any item on your
vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant that is
defective in material, workmanship or factory
preparation. There is no list of covered parts since the
only exception are tires and Unwired headphones. You
pay nothing for these repairs. These warranty repairs or
adjustments — including all parts and labor connected
with them — will be made by your dealer at no charge,
using new or remanufactured parts.

#5 ·
This is NOT covered under warranty. Already been through this with the dealership. If you read the warranty paperwork, it is a hose and not covered. The plastic piece is a "Y" fitting that is coupled to the other two hoses with a plastic (heat tempered in place) hose clamp. It looks like it is part of the "y" clamp itself, but it is not. It is a separate piece crimped on. Plastic crimping is much less expensive than metal crimping or hose clamps, so they have gone to these. i will post pics a little later....

#54 ·
Strange....

On page 6 of http://www.chrysler.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/2010_Warranty_FINAL_090109.pdf says that under basic warranty 3year/36000

"The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all
parts and labor needed to repair any item on your
vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant that is
defective in material, workmanship or factory
preparation. There is no list of covered parts since the
only exception are tires and Unwired headphones. You
pay nothing for these repairs. These warranty repairs or
adjustments — including all parts and labor connected
with them — will be made by your dealer at no charge,
using new or remanufactured parts."

#9 ·
Ok, here is the "y" fitting with the hoses removed for clarity......

Auto part Pipe Nozzle Plumbing

If you remove the hose "plastic crimp" this is what you have. as you can see, it's just a standard fitting with the plastic crimp removed. The crimp is a hot set clamp that is quick to assemble and much less expensive than the labor required for two hose clamps.....

#265 ·
Ok, here is the "y" fitting with the hoses removed for clarity......

View attachment 4618

If you remove the hose "plastic crimp" this is what you have. as you can see, it's just a standard fitting with the plastic crimp removed. The crimp is a hot set clamp that is quick to assemble and much less expensive than the labor required for two hose clamps.....
Dorman Part 626-307HP is now using aluminum instead of plastic. Available at most auto parts store same day - so if you need it right away, they probably have it......

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=80507&SEName=626-307hp

"Supply and Return, w/Auxiliary Heater, Includes Aluminum Y-Pipe"

#10 ·
Ok, here is the "y" fitting with the hoses on for clarity. As you can see, the plastic crimp on piece is a hose clamp. Just cut off the clamp and use regular metal hose clamps, unless you want to spend over 100.00 for the whole part and 150.00 for the install.....

Pipe Auto part Plumbing Fuel line Hose

If you look closely at the picture, you can see where the hoses slip over the barbed ends on the "y" and the clamp sits. remove the plastic crimp with a hot knife or dremel (careful so you don't damage the hose underneath) and then you just use a standard worm clamp on the hose.

Much more economical, and nothing to it.

#36 ·
Exactly where did this fix the leak?

Ok, here is the "y" fitting with the hoses on for clarity. As you can see, the plastic crimp on piece is a hose clamp. Just cut off the clamp and use regular metal hose clamps, unless you want to spend over 100.00 for the whole part and 150.00 for the install.....

View attachment 4619

If you look closely at the picture, you can see where the hoses slip over the barbed ends on the "y" and the clamp sits. remove the plastic crimp with a hot knife or dremel (careful so you don't damage the hose underneath) and then you just use a standard worm clamp on the hose.

Much more economical, and nothing to it.
I have a leak on the lengthwise seam of the Y connector. I was trying to figure out if replacing the plastic crimps with metal ones fixed a leak from "hose to Y" or was the added tightness of using the metal clamps what helped seal the length wise seam to prevent it from seeping?

#11 ·
Thank you so much!!!! I see it now. I thought the plastic clamps were 1 piece with the Y. Now it makes sense!
How did you cut them off? Is there something in the holes to loosen?

Also, where did you get the metal clamps? Just the auto parts store or special order? Did you use Spring or Screw type clamps?

Thanks Again!!! You're such a help!!!!

#16 ·
Yeah its a big problem most likely will become recall.... maybe eventually.... lol
Its plastic and not a high quality high temp type.... this is just down stream of really hot heads... I had mine leak at 35k
You have to buy the whole hose from dealer to get a OEM Y if thats what you want.(I did this) I think 115 or so with tax.... dude said he sells alot of them.
Or you can goto home depot for a few bucks get a Y from the gardening section(metal type) and probably permanently fix this.
You have to take the rubber off at the head where there is a clip... and the other end where there it meets the hard line. Its not just plastic but 2 hoses attached.
When you get the part it comes with the whole hardlines that goto the rear air. You just remove the rubber lines attached to Y and R2 it.

Reactions: dvjen
#17 ·
Thanks for your help! Yeah Mine is at 35K too!
I was able to dremmel the plastic off and put on a worm clamp on each hose. The hose on the lower arm of the Y is still leaking... hmmmm.
I can see that is coming from where the hose meets the plastic Y.
Do you think I could seal the connection with a non-hardening sealant?
Or should i just replace the hose? Replacing seems very daunting to me. Is it fairly easy???

Thanks again!

Jen

#20 ·
I had to replace the plastic Y as it had a pin hole it was leaking from.
If you don't want to fork out the big bucks on the whole line I would replace with
a metal sub. (just remember they use plastic to not allow dissimilar metals to accelerate corrosion inside the motor)

#22 ·
According to available information it is part of the HVAC system.

Part Description - Heater Supply And Return HOSE AND TUBE assembly.

The T – Y part appears to be only available as an assembly within the above.

#23 ·
Ok for better clarification i have posted photos of the part I had to buy to remove the part that was leaking, if it wasn't dark out I would show under my hood.

this is where I disconnected it to utilize the Y from the new assembly

Hope these help.

#24 ·
Ok for better clarification i have posted photos of the part I had to buy to remove the part that was leaking, if it wasn't dark out I would show under my hood.

Here is the whole assembly minus the Y I used. This is the lowest assembly the dealership sells.

Here is the Part Number

Here was the part "the actual Y" that was leaking... mine was the plastic on the Y and not the connections.

#25 ·
I think we are just going to take it to our mechanic... I think I'm in over my head. :nut:
I got a new worm clamp and tightened that over the tube off the Y that goes to the driver side - thats the one leaking.
I cannot tell if it is leaking from where the tube meets the Y or if the actual Y is leaking. I even tried to use a sealant to seal the end of the hose/Y connection but it still is leaking.

Hmmmmm.... was really hoping to fix this myself. Thanks so much to everyone for all your help!!!! This is a great community!

Jen

#26 ·
Its definatly the Y, and its as simple as 3 hose clamps... if you want I can take picks on my van and post em up for you step by step.

#30 ·
also can you post a pic of the one that leaks as there are 2 of these plastic Y's under the hood, to better give you a writeup.