The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 x Grand Voyagers - 2008 LX 3.8 petrol. 2008 Limited 2.8 Diesel, 2009 Limited 2.8 Diesel
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Limited Van Sliding doors - Operating either internal or external door handle fails to trigger Powered Opening.

Door Fob and B Pillar Switches both open and close doors (have not checked out Overhead Console).
Grabbing the internal door handle stops operation, but that might be a resistance thing rather that the system actually sensing the operation of the handle.

I had one door apart to change an actuator and did notice that both external & internal handles join together into a single cable which then connects up with the latch mechanism via a sea-saw lever.

This lever interacts with a couple of micro switches buried in the latch mechanism but, to be honest, I was not taking much notice of them at the time.

Before I go back in, I thought I might ask if anyone has had the same problem and fixed it.

Given the door appears to appear to function properly with the ancillary switches, I am assuming the fault is within the door itself, which means either wiring, switch or the door control module that is part of the door. Loom was checked and appeared OK.

I do have a donor car that has a fully functioning door, but I would like to try to understand the process before I started randomly swapping stuff out

I did get the following but nothing currently is active.

B19CD Stored Left Power Sliding Door Close Direction - Pawl Switch Performance.

I have access to the PDF copy of the workshop manual but its not immediately clear how to proceed.

Its also curious that it is the same on both doors - everything else works.

Any help appreciated

Coxy

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,207 Posts
That is normal for the 2008 vans, the vans didn't have the "pull to open" feature until the 2009 model year.

Reactions: dkf747

·
Registered
3 x Grand Voyagers - 2008 LX 3.8 petrol. 2008 Limited 2.8 Diesel, 2009 Limited 2.8 Diesel
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that is very interesting! (might explain why both doors are the same) however, my donor car does have that function. Will check the build dates tomorrow. Hopefully it means another job off the list,

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? My 2016 is doing it and I narrowed it down the cable that hooks to the exterior door handle. Please let me know before I rip the door off and set it on fire
🤬

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, but only because the 2008 does not have the powered opening function when pulling on the outside handle. My 2009 does but have not figured out which "bit" was changed to allow this to happen.

What exactly is the problem and how does it manifest itself.

You should also consider joining the Mk5 Grand Voyager Technical Help group on facebook (GV is the right hand drive version) and definitely check out the "files" section it "literally" has everything you need to diagnose your Town and Country.

I am pretty sure that everything about the door control is based on resistance. The wiring loom along the catapiller track is a weakness - especially the slightly thicker power feed. I thing initially a few strands break which then open and close as the cable flexes, changing the resistance and causing the jerky movement.

I am interested to hear of your problem. We are much more proactive in the commonwealth countries as these are horrendously expensive, are hard to source parts for and are no longer available in RHD.
Coxy

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, but only because the 2008 does not have the powered opening function when pulling on the outside handle. My 2009 does but have not figured out which "bit" was changed to allow this to happen.

What exactly is the problem and how does it manifest itself.

You should also consider joining the Mk5 Grand Voyager Technical Help group on facebook (GV is the right hand drive version) and definitely check out the "files" section it "literally" has everything you need to diagnose your Town and Country.

I am pretty sure that everything about the door control is based on resistance. The wiring loom along the catapiller track is a weakness - especially the slightly thicker power feed. I thing initially a few strands break which then open and close as the cable flexes, changing the resistance and causing the jerky movement.

I am interested to hear of your problem. We are much more proactive in the commonwealth countries as these are horrendously expensive, are hard to source parts for and are no longer available in RHD.
Coxy
I will check out that fb group. Here's my post with videos of my issue

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I would say is that the two into one cable arrangement looks odd. I have the luxury of having a whole practice car to screw about with and the junction box that combines the inside and outside lock is not lying flat. It also passes over the solid rod link that connects the door handle assembly to the actuator.

In theory this should not matter as it's all external casing but the fact that disconnecting the cable at the door handle releases the tension I would say the issue is mechanical not electronic.

I have a panel off my car at the moment for another reason and I think it is untouched. Will go and take a photo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts