The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I closed the side door like I have a thousand times before , and the back glass blew out and shattered into a million pieces. 04 Gc 3.3 any thoughts or comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
298 Posts
I posted last year that the rear glass had broken in my van.

After not driving it for a few days, I walked out to get into it. The back was parked facing away from the house, so I didn't notice the mess. I got in and saw the floor was wet. I looked back, and glass was everywhere.

I suppose someone could have smashed it out, but we live in a rural area and I couldn't find any evidence of it. It was summer time and hot as balls. Then it rained. Maybe that made it shatter? Dunno.

I should have got a used tailgate from the junkyard, but I didn't feel like dealing with it and paid Safelite ~$300 to put a new glass in it. As an aside, they were supposed to clean up the mess, and actually charged a fee to do it, but didn't. My rear defroster hasn't worked since either.:mad:

·
3rd gen > all others
3,328 Posts
Rear side glass or rear liftgate glass? If side glass the same side as the sliding door closing, then maybe something was binding a little to cause the window frame to flex and crack the glass. The sides are tempered, so any kind of impact or stress will make it shatter everywhere.

Nice to know Safelite is consistently bad. Every windshield we had replaced by them cracked. Our 2005 Magnum went through 3 windshields in 2 years. The windshield in my 2000 T&C lasted 7 years before it started cracking from the bottom, out of nowhere. It has grown completely across to the driver's side, split and gone up and down and I'd probably be pulled over for it if I drove it. When they were going to replace it, I wanted to do all the disassembly work first and only have them put in the glass and molding. My wife wouldn't let me, and said they are professional and guarantee their work. :LOL: Yeah, guaranteed to be bad! I looked at the van after they left and all 6 of the special nuts I had put on to hold down the plastic cowl were gone. I will only go back to them if I have no other choice.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
There have been a number of random 4th gen rear glass shatterings. Happened to our 07. My guess is there is something that tends to crack the glass near the edge somewhere, and eventually it finally gets just the right shock or thermal expansion for the whole window to go.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Likely something causing a pressure point, then corrosion, or whatever, makes it worse, then a percussion and wham.

Back in the 1970s?, rear windows were breaking in Chrysler vehicles quite often. Bad glass or bad installation, don't know, likely bad fit/installation back in those years of minimum quality control.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear side glass or rear liftgate glass? If side glass the same side as the sliding door closing, then maybe something was binding a little to cause the window frame to flex and crack the glass. The sides are tempered, so any kind of impact or stress will make it shatter everywhere.

Nice to know Safelite is consistently bad. Every windshield we had replaced by them cracked. Our 2005 Magnum went through 3 windshields in 2 years. The windshield in my 2000 T&C lasted 7 years before it started cracking from the bottom, out of nowhere. It has grown completely across to the driver's side, split and gone up and down and I'd probably be pulled over for it if I drove it. When they were going to replace it, I wanted to do all the disassembly work first and only have them put in the glass and molding. My wife wouldn't let me, and said they are professional and guarantee their work. :LOL: Yeah, guaranteed to be bad! I looked at the van after they left and all 6 of the special nuts I had put on to hold down the plastic cowl were gone. I will only go back to them if I have no other choice.
Rear glass, I closed the side door and the back blew out

·
Registered
298 Posts
The windshield in my van was chipped when I bought it, and it cracked over the winter, so it will need replaced so I can get an inspection sticker put on it. The windshield in the Honda CRV we just bought a few weeks ago was chipped when we got it, and it started cracking already .:mad:

If I have Safelite replace them, I will do all the tear down and reassembly. Especially since we paid a ridiculous amount for the A-pillar moldings that were missing when we bought the Honda, which I didn't even get around to putting on yet.:rolleyes:

I just got the Honda inspected, too. At $35 for the sticker plus the cost of the glass, it can wait 'til the sticker is dead before it gets a new one put in.

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Windshield is laminated glass and can crack. Treat a chip early and the crack won't spread, hopefully.

The remaining windows are tempered glass and they don't crack, but rather disintegrate instead.

Just bought a piece of "made to order" tempered glass shelving 55" x 19" x 1/4" with 1.5" rounded corners for $200.00 plus tax. Sort of expensive stuff.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The windshield in my van wasn't worth fooling with. The idiot previous owners ruined it by running totally worn out wiper blades on it. :rolleyes:

·
3rd gen > all others
3,328 Posts
Right now my 2004 T&C is our only vehicle out of 5 that doesn't have a cracked windshield. It does have an impact point, just a tiny short crack where a pebble may have hit it, ever since I bought it. I need to buy a windshield repair kit and treat that before it cracks any further.

Our Sienna got a couple of small stone hits on the extreme lower edge of the windshield, and both cracked upwards and then across the windshield, meeting each other and continuing. I think we'll take it to the local Toyota dealer to see about a replacement.

I don't know why glass replacement companies (well, the cheap/mobile ones) replace windshields in cold weather/winter, and only let the vehicle sit in a heated shop for a couple of hours. They claim the sealant sets up fine, but when my dad replaced windshields in a body shop the vehicle was always left in the shop overnight. This is why I avoid getting windshields replaced until summer. Not many people know how to do the job correctly anymore.

Back to the shattered back glass, good points were made. Corrosion pushing on an edge of the glass, coupled with a hatch flexing/twisting could probably shatter it. I know in this case the hatch was sitting still, so maybe corrosion/pressure with glass that was set too close to an edge, plus the shock of closing the side door? Dumb bad luck?

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Any dead partridges around? I had one fly right through my sealed unit living room window some years back, landing 6 feet inside, bleeding out, and sending glass 16 feet across the room. Nobody home just then, lucky, as could have been the recipient of a glass shower.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any dead partridges around? I had one fly right through my sealed unit living room window some years back, landing 6 feet inside, bleeding out, and sending glass 16 feet across the room. Nobody home just then, lucky, as could have been the recipient of a glass shower.
No partridges but I got a used glass from the junkyard, not easy to get because most places want to sell the whole door. And I got Kinneys inn Hartsle Alabama to put it in 75.00 for the glass and 100.00 to put it in hopefully it won’t leak I’m going to wait a couple days to check

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Our glass deductible applied, so insurance covered the difference on a new back window for us. Did you check your insurance?

·
Registered
771 Posts
So I closed the side door like I have a thousand times before , and the back glass blew out and shattered into a million pieces. 04 Gc 3.3 any thoughts or comments?

I didn't read further if someone provided the info. but car insurance companies are obligated by law to pay for any glass windows damaged.
i just called progressive insurance to ask that question yesterday and they told me that is the policy, some states require owner to pay $50.00 deductable
but in florida there is no deductable

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
No partridges but I got a used glass from the junkyard, not easy to get because most places want to sell the whole door. And I got Kinneys inn Hartsle Alabama to put it in 75.00 for the glass and 100.00 to put it in hopefully it won’t leak I’m going to wait a couple days to check

You should be fine, but get the caulking gun out, just in case there's a downpour. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could be worse. It could be a sunroof (on a 2003 T&C we had at the time; this was June, 2015) shattering spontaneously and raining glass down on the driver (me) while driving at highway speed.

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Must have been hankering for some fresh air? :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I didn't read further if someone provided the info. but car insurance companies are obligated by law to pay for any glass windows damaged.
i just called progressive insurance to ask that question yesterday and they told me that is the policy, some states require owner to pay $50.00 deductable
but in florida there is no deductable
That sure wasn't the case for me. I started to file a claim to have my back window replaced, and Safeco (Liberty Mutual) wanted me to pay a $250 deductible on a $300 glass. Same when my windshield cracked, except it was $350. I said screw it and paid for the rear glass out of pocket so they didn't have an excuse to raise our rates, not that they ever needed one.:mad: I haven't had the windshield replaced yet.

We just switched to State Farm, and they said they don't offer free glass replacement either. It is covered under comprehensive, and you have to pay whatever your deductible is, and that's assuming you have comprehensive coverage. If you just have basic liability, you're on your own.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Comprehensive claims don't raise premiums.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts