The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 05 caravan 3.3 with only 51000 original miles. $350 score from a friend who owns a car lot. He purchased it from an auction so I know no history on it. They tried to diagnose it and failed. As well as the people who auctioned it off. I've been scratching my head on this one for 3 days. Ok, it starts up and runs. Doesn't want to idle without giving it some throttle most of the time. Accelerates very slowly and has zero power. It won't even pull itself. I got it to go down the driveway and back at 5mph and that's about it. Usually dies out until cooled down then it'll run the same. Has 175 psi of compression across the board. New fuel pump, camshaft sensor, and coil from previous people. I tested the map, egr, iac, tps, and crankshaft sensor. Everything is fine. Throws no codes. Fuel pressure seems fine (don't have a adapter for my tester yet, but ran the van off of another tank hooked to a jump box with exact same results lol). It also wants to die if you put it in gear, but I pretty much rule out torque converter because it runs poorly in park and neutral. I've never seen an engine do this and I'm so stumped. Plugs look newer, wires look good. Apparently, two other people before me couldn't figure it out either. Anyone else ran into this issue? I had a trailblazer with the same symptoms but 4 intake rockers had fell off because of sticking valves. I don't believe that to be an issue with this one. It doesn't smell rich at all. Plugs didn't look lean either.

·
Super Moderator
24,386 Posts
Plugged exhaust?
OBD system not working?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,067 Posts
Just picked up an 05 caravan 3.3 with only 51000 original miles. $350 score from a friend who owns a car lot. He purchased it from an auction so I know no history on it. They tried to diagnose it and failed. As well as the people who auctioned it off. I've been scratching my head on this one for 3 days. Ok, it starts up and runs. Doesn't want to idle without giving it some throttle most of the time. Accelerates very slowly and has zero power. It won't even pull itself. I got it to go down the driveway and back at 5mph and that's about it. Usually dies out until cooled down then it'll run the same. Has 175 psi of compression across the board. New fuel pump, camshaft sensor, and coil from previous people. I tested the map, egr, iac, tps, and crankshaft sensor. Everything is fine. Throws no codes. Fuel pressure seems fine (don't have a adapter for my tester yet, but ran the van off of another tank hooked to a jump box with exact same results lol). It also wants to die if you put it in gear, but I pretty much rule out torque converter because it runs poorly in park and neutral. I've never seen an engine do this and I'm so stumped. Plugs look newer, wires look good. Apparently, two other people before me couldn't figure it out either. Anyone else ran into this issue? I had a trailblazer with the same symptoms but 4 intake rockers had fell off because of sticking valves. I don't believe that to be an issue with this one. It doesn't smell rich at all. Plugs didn't look lean either.
Don't call it score yet. Someone else also bought a $350.00 vehicle and called it score, it proved to be a money pit.

Listen to Jeepman, it sounds like a plugged cat. Remove O2 sensor and see it it eirks better, if it does, replace your CC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't call it score yet. Someone else also bought a $350.00 vehicle and called it score, it proved to be a money pit.

Listen to Jeepman, it sounds like a plugged cat. Remove O2 sensor and see it it eirks better, if it does, replace your CC.
Car was gutted.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It can also be the fuel filter.
I immediately thought fuel filter any vehicle that has been sitting almost always needs a fuel system rebuild and it is not smart to try to run it before the tank is drained and or replaced and a new filter

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

·
Registered
191 Posts
I immediately thought fuel filter any vehicle that has been sitting almost always needs a fuel system rebuild and it is not smart to try to run it before the tank is drained and or replaced and a new filter

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3
Just had another idea what about anti theft?

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Have you tried spraying a very small amount of carb cleaner or sensor-safe starter fluid into the intake while its idling? If it will rev much better doing that, then the problem must be fuel related.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel pump with integrated filter is New, plus I hooked up a tank and pump from a turbo pt cruiser straight to the caravan rail and ran it off that. Same results. There is no skim on this van. It's a base model

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,067 Posts
I thought it was a $350.00 score, it actually was a $450.00 score:

Hope you can positively diagnose the problem without throwing a lot of parts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
…. I hooked up a tank and pump from a turbo pt cruiser straight to the caravan rail and ran it off that. Same results. ...
That only confirms the fuel delivery up to the fuel rail, but nothing relative to the injectors. They could be gunked up, or its possible the PCM is not supplying the proper pulse width (or perhaps some other weird electrical thing happening with the injectors). So if you haven't ever tried adding a small bit of outside fuel, I suggest giving it a try.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan C/V
68 Posts
Take it to someone with one or borrow a scan tool that will show live data. Just because it isn't throwing a code, doesn't mean that there isn't a sensor or something taking a dump. It's easier and cheaper to diagnose a problem than shotgunning replacing parts at it. Ask me how I know.

Also, isn't there an injector wiring harness that sits too close to the exhaust crossover that can get baked? I'd have a look at that too.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
.... Also, isn't there an injector wiring harness that sits too close to the exhaust crossover that can get baked? I'd have a look at that too.
Being an '05' van, the infamous melted wiring harness is not in the mix.

But +1 to reading the live data, and it's what I would suggest next if adding outside fuel brings no change how it runs.

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Registered
191 Posts
Take it to someone with one or borrow a scan tool that will show live data. Just because it isn't throwing a code, doesn't mean that there isn't a sensor or something taking a dump. It's easier and cheaper to diagnose a problem than shotgunning replacing parts at it. Ask me how I know.

Also, isn't there an injector wiring harness that sits too close to the exhaust crossover that can get baked? I'd have a look at that too.
Not on 05 they corrected that in mid 04

Mike S Grand caravan 3.3

1 - 20 of 71 Posts