The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
07 Grand Caravan (3.3L), 14 Dart SXT (2.0L)
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubcaps are finally ready to go! They look nice and trashed as they are the original (165K mile) hubcaps and are cracked/chipped and dull looking. Never really liked the look of hubcaps and now that they're broken I decided to remove them and paint the steel wheels gloss black. What I want is a nice durable finish that will last a long time. Can I scrub off all the loose rust with a wire brush(drill) and then use Rust Reformer as my primer before the paint layer(Rustoleum 2X High Gloss Black)?

1. Scrub the wheels down with "soapy wooder" to get rid of the brake dust
2. Remove loose rust with a wire brush(then rinse/dry again)
3. Spray one coat of Rust Reformer
4. Spray Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover High Gloss Black(2 coats)
5. Wax??? Might not, as waxing usually makes my hose leave water spots... I don't wanna be drying my wheels.

What do you think? I'm fairly certain the rust reformer will hold up and stop the rust(as its not that much rust anyway I'll post a pic in the morning). But my main concern, this combination of paint, would it hold up to the temperature that a wheel will see? Usually, after my normal daily drive I can touch the wheels and feel they're pretty hot(CAN keep my hand on it just feels pretty hot).

·
Super Moderator
24,771 Posts
Check the product out very carefully for its limitations - painted surfaces, salt, etc. Might be better off getting stuff you can brush on.

Plastikote Rust Reformer is one of the better products but not available in Canada these days. Spray on products don't work well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the product out very carefully for its limitations - painted surfaces, salt, etc. Might be better off getting stuff you can brush on.

Plastikote Rust Reformer is one of the better products but not available in Canada these days.
Forgot to mention I'm using Rustoleum's Rust Reformer! It says you can and should paint over it. No salt on the roads here in Houston so I don't have to worry about that. The only thing these wheels will see is rainwater, brake dust, and the occasional rock driving down the highway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does say the max temp it can handle is 200F so that should be fine too.

·
Super Moderator
24,771 Posts
With the brush on product, you can get the product where you need it, soak it on, which isn't all over the painted surfaces. The product needs to penetrate the rust, not just gloss over the surface.

What does your spray on product say about application over painted surfaces?

Spray rust reformers = disappointment in my experience. They are more hype than anything else. Ask any auto body shop what they use.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With the brush on product, you can get the product where you need it, soak it on, which isn't all over the painted surfaces. The product needs to penetrate the rust, not just gloss over the surface.

What does your spray on product say about application over painted surfaces?

Spray rust reformers = disappointment in my experience. They are more hype than anything else. Ask any auto body shop what they use.
It says I should brush off the "loose" rust with a wire brush, wash with soapy water, and then spray the rust reformer onto the metal. It doesn't say anything about spraying over painted surfaces. Can I spray it into the cap and brush it on the surface?

EDIT: Google search showed one place saying "Use on rusty metal only" but when I click the link I can't find anywhere on the page saying that....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are my wheels after wire brushing. It isn't that much rust and tbh it's pretty smooth. Don't you think the spray on rust reformer will do the job good enough?

·
Super Moderator
24,771 Posts
Yeah, nothing about spraying over painted surfaces - a con job.

Technical Data: https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Stops Rust/SRT-14_Stops_Rust_Rust_Reformer.ashx
SURFACE PREPARATION Do not use on non-rusted surfaces . Remove all dirt, grease, oil, salt and chemical contaminants by washing the surface with a commercial detergent, or other suitable cleaning method. Rinse with fresh water and allow to thoroughly dry. Scrape and wire brush or power tool clean to remove loose rust, scale, and deteriorated coatings.

Reactions: TechiePocket1

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think what I'll do is remove the paint with a wire brush, spray rust reformer on the rust only, then spray primer over the other parts of the wheel, and finally give it my color coat.

·
Super Moderator
24,771 Posts
Your wheels look real good, hardly any rust for the rust converter to work on. It needs rust, doesn't work without it.
Check out rust paint instead.
POR-15 might be a consideration, I have no experience with it but it's readily available.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your wheels look real good, hardly any rust for the rust converter to work on. It needs rust, doesn't work without it.
Check out rust paint instead.
POR-15 might be a consideration, I have no experience with it but it's readily available.
Hmmm, well I looked at POR-15 but it only comes in buckets or $20 a spray can which is too much for me. In that case, I guess I'll just have to go ahead and sand off all the rust which, I can do it's just time-consuming.

·
Super Moderator
24,771 Posts
Rust paint is for minimal rust which is what you have left. It should easily penetrate that to the metal below. You have done an excellent job of cleaning up the rims. All you have is rust "stains" left. Nothing for rust reformer to work on to reform.

Rust converter, on a painted surface = a dead layer of poorly bonded product.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rust paint is for minimal rust which is what you have left. It should easily penetrate that to the metal below. You have done an excellent job of cleaning up the rims. All you have is rust "stains" left. Nothing for rust reformer to work on to reform.

Rust converter, on a painted surface = a dead layer of poorly bonded product.
Well I'll look into it some more, but if it's too expensive I'll just sand off the remaining rust down to the bare shiny metal.

·
Super Moderator
24,771 Posts
Hmmm, well I looked at POR-15 but it only comes in buckets or $20 a spray can which is too much for me. In that case, I guess I'll just have to go ahead and sand off all the rust which, I can do it's just time-consuming.
There are rust primers made by Rustoleum/Tremclad and Krylon

From your pictures I see no hard core rust, pretty much just rust stains.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
128 Posts
Those wheels aren't bad at all.

If they were mine, I would just sand that rust / rust stains the best you can with finer and finer sandpaper. Lightly scuff the old paint with fine sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad. Clean the wheels with some alcohol or paint prep cleaner and paper towels. Mask off what needs to be. And then spray them with several coats of your choice of color of Rustoleum.

Being in the South with no road salt crap, they should hold up very well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somehow I never saw that rust primer before, definitely pretty cheap. I've decided like beat_truck said I'm gonna go ahead and just sand all the rust down and paint it. I'll post the results when the paints nice and shiny :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I like Rustoleum Rust Reformer, but my experience is offshore oil rig equipment and in gallon brush on jug.

I presume the puff cans are similar and by your pictures it seems only the exposed 'windows' of the hub caps are rusty.

TechiePocket1, you did a good job of cleaning these wheels up.
Now, I would wash the wheels (and rinse well) to remove any grease or oils that would film block the rust reformer. Allow to dry thoroughly and the puff just the rust spots and allow to dry. Then you can scuff sand them lightly with brown/maroon scotch-brite pads.

You are not trying to break through the dried Reformer OR the factory paint. That paint is holding up / protecting great, so the plan is to keep that factory process in tact and just repair the sections that failed.
The 'scuff ' is to smooth and open the paint to reformer interface. Then paint as you have indicated with the rustoleum black puff cans.

It should turn out great and last long-long time.

Let's see some pix of your finished product!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay, so what I did was on one wheel I wire brushed, washed, rust reformer on the rust spots only, painted. The others I'm going to fully wire brush the rust off and then wash, paint. Here is how the first wheel with rust reformer came out. Not completely dry but its been 2h since the paint has been applied.

Yes, there is overspray on the tire they're getting replaced soon cuz they OLD. Yes I put it too thick and it ran, and yes I dropped it while it was wet and there are some sand specs on it, I don't care, it looks good to me and it's my work truck! What do yall think?

The next problem is should I wax it or not. I'll do some experimenting with brake dust cleanup with and without wax and see which is better and which one I would have to dry to avoid water spots. Thanks for all the replies to this thread :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts