The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Replacing oil pan gasket 2005 T&C Lmtd

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mikespainting291 
#1 ·
Just a hint about replacing the oil pan gasket on the 3.8L Chrysler. The manuals say you have to remove the engine to transmission bracket on the back side of the engine. This is mainly because one particular bolt is hard to get to. But I found if you used a 1/4" wobble socket extension and a six sided socket, you could get it out by only removing the one bolt on the transmission, that is to get the inspection plate off, which takes a little maneuvering because of an inner lip on it, but you can get it out if you fool with it. I delayed doing this job for years for the difficulty of getting up in there to get these very large bolts on and off with little clearance. Was losing about a quart every 1,200 to 1,500 miles. Now, went on a 2,000 mile trip, lost about 1/2 qt. 136,000 miles. Replaced the valve cover gaskets 3 years ago which helped, did that without removing the intake plenum by being careful. Been a while since I posted, been busy. Got COVID-19 first week of October, no fever, just body aches all over and congestion in head and lungs, together with loss of taste and smell. 6 weeks later, have about 20% smell and taste back and lungs still congested, clearing your throat a lot. Trouble sleeping and get tired easy. 66 years old and just happy to have had a mild case. I compare it to running across the interstate at rush hour. You either wonder what all the concern is about or you get plastered. Been self quarantining since March, no idea how me and my wife got it. Stay safe.

See less See more
#2 ·
IIRC, there isn't actually a gasket, it's supposed to be Black RTV. I've seen rubber and Cork gaskets used.

#3 ·
No, there's a gasket out of the factory. Fel-Pro makes a good gasket, clean and dry installation.

Reactions: Special Edy
#4 ·
Glad you are surviving and back on the Forum. Best wishes for a complete bill of health for both of you.

I had a similar experience when I replaced the oil pan gasket on my 2002 GC. That large bolt was a little difficult to get back in. If doing it again, I would not remove it all the way.

All about that here:

#5 ·
Thanks Jeepman, always enjoyed your posts.

#6 ·
Now go get your flu shot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.