The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Rebuilding front end of 2005 T&C during pandemic, hey, ain't going nowhere!

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  04anniversaryedition 
#1 ·
My 2005 Limited is all original front end, except for stabilizer bar link on both sides. I have a pop when you turn the wheel, even stopped, which I believe is in the top bearing of the Macpherson strut, I've had that before. 136,000 miles. If I was going into the front end for a rebuild, what would you recommend replacing? Was thinking about even replacing the rack and the tie rod parts and links, have done that before on a couple of Chryslers, pain, but doable. It was leaking a little out the boots, used some AT-205 RE-SEAL on it and that stopped, wasn't much, while I'm in, I don't mind doing other work while I'm in there, hate to go back for a bad piece later. Which Macpherson struts are best, but not a fortune? See them on Amazon from several manufacturers and they seem to be either 5 star or 1. Also, if I replace the rack, I'm thinking about the pump and hoses too, already have a new reservoir. What replacement hose would recommend?
Thanks,
TW

#2 ·
Pretty hard to get an aftermarket universal trending strut to equal the OE struts. Some keep the OE coil springs and reuse those as they are designed specifically for the vehicle.
My 2002 GC had the original front struts at over 370,000 km in 2018.
If your rack isn't leaking, I would leave it alone. Road salt can cause the small steel lines on the outside to rust out. Yes, the rack is a big job, especially on your back.
Your OE power steering pump will be the most quiet, aftermarket remanufactured pumps can give a whine. That job is quite doable, you will need a crows foot tube wrench to get the high pressure line off the pump.
Gates parts are good.
From rockauto.com:

#3 ·
Personally, I would only replace what I had to.

If the pump and rack aren't leaking or making noise etc, I'd leave them alone. Maybe just drain and refill with new fluid.

In the past, I have had good luck with Monroe shocks and struts. I never liked Gabriels. I would not use "quick struts" that have new springs. They are known to have problems with the springs sagging, or just not being a good match for the vehicle. Unless they are broken or sagging, I would just get new struts and mounts and reuse the original springs.

Ball joints / control arms and tie rod ends are a judgement call. If they are tight and the bushings and dust boots look OK, I'd leave them alone. If not, then I would definitely consider replacing them.

It doesn't mean much, but my van has almost 180k and the only thing I have replaced is the sway bar bushings. I am sure the links have been replaced before, but the rest appears to be original and OK.

#4 ·
I think I'd agree with everyone here. OEM factory suspension components tend to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Moog, KYB, Gabriel, Mevotech, whatever, no suspension part ever seems to hold up as well as the original equipment.

The control arm bushings are probably fine, I've had several vans apart and never seen a bad one here in Texas. Ball joints, you can tell if there's any slop once you have the wheel off and the suspension in the air, also check the boot on it.

Tie rods are obvious once you have the van on jackstand, the ball & socket joint will be loose if it's bad.

Sway bar end links often go bad. It's imperative that you have the van lifted on both sides before testing the suspension joints, if only one side is jack up the sway bar will be under tension and make the whole suspension seem tighter than it is.

You could go get an alignment done, they would be able to identify any issues. If you get a 1-3 year alignment deal, you can come back after repairing their recommendations and get it realigned for free.

Reactions: Jeepman
#6 ·
Well said Mr. Marvinstockman, you must be feeling better these days. I've cancelled plans to expand my parking area. :)

#7 ·
Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

#9 ·
The rubber bushings in our 2002 T&C look fine at 274K miles. I have a "quick-strut" for both sides I haven't gotten around to changing. I got one for a great price at an ebay liquidator (~$25) and bought a matching one (~$50). Since we got the van at 155K miles, it has made a rumbling sound when driving over rough asphalt, which I suspect is from the upper strut mount (bearing plate which lets the strut rotate). You can change just that part, but must take the strut apart, and I figure the struts might be worn anyway. But, I have heard that such cheap quick-struts are not as good as the OE ones, which is why I haven't rushed.

#10 ·
Having just finished rebuilding the front end on a 2009 Corolla for a customer of mine, ill tell you based on experience what to replace.

Struts ( I have munroe quick struts on my 04- 2.5 years and 60,000 kms and no issues)

Sway bar links (moog is my favourite)

Outer tie rods ( again Moog- makes sense to
replace em since you gotta do an alignment anyways)

Control arms/ ball joints (moog or any good brand is a win in my opinion)

On the 2009 Corolla I rebuilt the front end on, I did both axles as well due to the fact that they were both toast, but if yours are fine, I would leave them alone.

This is my recommendation based off me rebuilding the front end of a 2009 Corolla with 288,000 kms in my driveway lol.

Also, if there is nothing wrong with your steering rack and pump, I would leave it alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.