The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!
No the dealer did not install the tires. The tire shop I get my tires from rode with me to feel the vibration, checked the tires and the rims, rotated tires from back to front (no change in vibration or location when I drove it again) and swapped my 2 front tires out for 2 newer one's with no change either (I test drove again). They've checked the balance of the tires twice, and the rims and alignment. No changes. The also swapped out my springs just to see if that would make a difference. It did not. While they had the Van in the air, in gear, they noticed some vibrations/movement of the front axle shaft which, to them, meant that it was not the tires. The tire shop will replace all the tires if needed, and have no problem doing it again, but they're fairly certain it's not the tires.

When I took it to the dealer after the tire shop, they found:

"FAULTY PART RAN VEHICLE UP ON HOIST, COULD SEE EXCESS RUNOUT ON RIGHT OUTER AXLE SHAFT, NEEDS NEW AXLE SHAFT. COULD ALSO SEE EXCESS RNOUT ON BOTH FRONT TIRES. I DID TEST DRIVE VAN, HAD SLIGHT VIBRATION IN STEERING WHEEL WHICH COULD BE A COMBINATION OF THE OUT OF ROUND AXLE SHAFT AND FRONT TIRES. REPLACED RF AXLE SHAFT, NOW IT SPINS TRUE. TEST DROVE, ONLY FELT SLIGHT VIBRATION AT 70MPH. ROTATING TIRE MAYBE WOULD FIX THAT."

I am taking the van back in on Monday, I will mention possibly swapping another van's tires to rule out (or in) the tires. Great suggestion! I also ensured that they made a note that the vibration is affecting the whole van, not just the front. I think messages may have been translated incorrectly, and when they were looking for the vibration they only thought it was in the steering wheel.

I took the van in twice before new tires because of a vibration, but they said it was due to weights on the tires falling off, so they put new one's back on both times, and the vibration seemed to be better, but this was during the winter when the roads were always covered in snow. The vibration was there before the new tires were put on, but not as pronounced.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
I'm the OP. My issue has been solved - ish by replacing the four rotors. I still need to try with summer tires. I'm installing them tomorrow. I will update you
I see that now. :eek: Sorry about that you know how these threads get off track..
I do remember seeing that 2014's had a rotor imbalance issue and there was a TSB for it, a lot of help this info is to you now huh? :eekkkk:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,699 Posts
Did the dealer install the new tires?
The dealer should be able to isolate a vibration issue faster than anyone by taking a set off a known good van and put them on yours - that will tell pretty quick whether it's a tire fault of the van fault.

There is no "front axle" on the van to replace.....
Actually, there are two front axles, driver's side and passenger side.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do you think he is referring to the CV axles ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I see that now. :eek: Sorry about that you know how these threads get off track..
I do remember seeing that 2014's had a rotor imbalance issue and there was a TSB for it, a lot of help this info is to you now huh? :eekkkk:
It's all good, if I can help fellow Dodge Caravan owners in their quest for smooth riding, I'll be happy :D

So I can confirm you that I'm running smoothly now on my Michelin Defender tires. I replaced my Rotor and brakes pads during the winter with my winter tires so the driving was still rough but at that moment. My previous rotors were warped and purple, I'm assuming they overheated during one descent on a camping trail, which had a crazy declined.

Now today, with summer tires, new rotors and the worst ceramic pads ever (need to fix that), I no longer have vibrations. Though I noticed the front driver Axel CV moves a bit and I can make a knocking sound from side to side, is this normal? The passenger side is snug fit.

·
Banned
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,067 Posts
I've heard bad things about Kumho. Hit or miss quality.
I had a full set of Kumho Sense on mine when I first bought it. They gripped great, didn't have vibration, and didn't wear out until the dang deer fubared my alignment.

Post deer collision, I had the same vibration as the others in this thread describe. It took a combination of 4 things to get it resolved for me: new tires (cheap Chinese LT rated tires, $36 each), new shocks (Excel Gs in front, Monroe spring assisted shocks in rear), front wheel alignment, and rear toe alignment shims (matched to data given during front wheel alignment).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My issue ended up being 2 things
Front axle was vibrating and rear shocks.

We ended up putting 10 different tires on the van because the dealer continually blamed the aftermarket tires, and refused to ride along to feel the vibration until my 3rd visit.
All in all 3 weeks without a van because we were 200miles from being out of warranty at 36k. Got it back today from a different service center with new shocks (something about faulty valves), runs smooth as glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My issue ended up being 2 things
Front axle was vibrating and rear shocks.

We ended up putting 10 different tires on the van because the dealer continually blamed the aftermarket tires, and refused to ride along to feel the vibration until my 3rd visit.
All in all 3 weeks without a van because we were 200miles from being out of warranty at 36k. Got it back today from a different service center with new shocks (something about faulty valves), runs smooth as glass.
Front or Rear shock you replaced?

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same problem. I could not find a solution and thought for sure my van had been in a wreck by a previous owner. Went to dealer and they provided a clean carfax.. It came with the Yokohamas. Seems to be less present with my snow tires on. At first the wife didnt notice. Then we had our third child(reason for buying TC) and the baby mirror shakes. She told me I was right! Ha! I have had the rims checked..Like you said, it rides smooth, but that damn vibration shakes my seats...Im thinking suspension issue..Maybe shocks wearing out? Bushing that is going bad..I will let you know if I find an answer...It is in being repaired for hail damage from a recent storm. I have a 2017 Grand Caravan GT rental and it does not have this issue. So we are not nuts...
Did you ever get your van vibration problem figured out? Or has anyone else? Same issue, new tires, New alignment, new shocks and struts, balanced and rebalanced by a second shop, still had the vibration, took it into a third shop to get a third opinion had the tires put on the machine all of them seemed to be balanced just fine still have the problem nobody could figure it out. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+ one more.
Actually, my 2013 T&C Touring, 17" rims, 32k miles has the very same problem.
Issue began a year ago by installing new tires, the OEM Kumho KH16 ran smoothly and without any problems.
Installed new Goodyear All Season (Vector Gen 2) and the van shook like crazy between 60 to 70 mph, sometimes it was just a "normal" vibration, seats and center console were shaking, steering wheel remained normal. Sometimes (mostly up hill and while accelerating), even the steering wheel started shaking. Dealer rebalanced tires (at least off 25g / 0.9 oz), changed positions (front / rear), problem still existed. Changed right cv-shaft, installed new discs and pads, replaced rear shocks (due to knocking noise), nothing solved. Additionally, van started just after the tire replacement to pull to the right. Went to another dealer - same story: tires off balance, rebalanced two times, same result.
Finally, I bought a new set of tires (Kumho), slightly improved ride quality but vibrations still remain.
At least, the van runs straight and pulls no longer to the right. Any help is highly appreciated...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get your van vibration problem figured out? Or has anyone else? Same issue, new tires, New alignment, new shocks and struts, balanced and rebalanced by a second shop, still had the vibration, took it into a third shop to get a third opinion had the tires put on the machine all of them seemed to be balanced just fine still have the problem nobody could figure it out. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had purchased a complete set of Michelin Lattitude X ice tires and steel wheels when I bought the van. They were first installed winter of 2016, and I can't remember if they had vibration issues. but for the winter of 2017, I must have noticed some vibration, but ignored it. For the winter of 2018, I decided to have all 4 wheels balanced at the dealer, but the vibration remained. I lived with it, but it made driving much less enjoyable.When I changed over to the summer set (factory alloys, Michelin Defenders) this past spring, the vibration disappeared - a night and day difference. Last week, I had the winter tire/wheels installed on the front axles (leaving the summer tire/alloys on the rear), then took the van down hwy 401, where I could get the van up to 120 kph (the dealer is in a rural area where the speed limit is at 80 kph). No vibration. The next day, the remaining 2 rear winter tire/wheels got installed on the back. Same trip down the 401, and voila, vibration. The vibration shows up at 110kph and is most noticable at 120 kph.
Today I'll be back at the dealer. Plan is to put the rear tires/wheels back on the balance machine to see if they are still in balance, or if the tire/wheels are out of round. If they can't detect any problem, I'll have them put one winter tire/wheel on with a summer tire/alloy combo on the opposite side to try and isolate which tire/wheel is the guilty party.

By process of elimination in my crude approach:
  • the van is OK - IE the problem is not axles, or rotors or shocks.
  • a pair of winter tires with steelies is ok
  • the last pair of winter tires with steelies is suspect
TBD - steel wheel, or winter tire is out of round, or not balanced.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had purchased a complete set of Michelin Lattitude X ice tires and steel wheels when I bought the van. They were first installed winter of 2016, and I can't remember if they had vibration issues. but for the winter of 2017, I must have noticed some vibration, but ignored it. For the winter of 2018, I decided to have all 4 wheels balanced at the dealer, but the vibration remained. I lived with it, but it made driving much less enjoyable.When I changed over to the summer set (factory alloys, Michelin Defenders) this past spring, the vibration disappeared - a night and day difference. Last week, I had the winter tire/wheels installed on the front axles (leaving the summer tire/alloys on the rear), then took the van down hwy 401, where I could get the van up to 120 kph (the dealer is in a rural area where the speed limit is at 80 kph). No vibration. The next day, the remaining 2 rear winter tire/wheels got installed on the back. Same trip down the 401, and voila, vibration. The vibration shows up at 110kph and is most noticable at 120 kph.
Today I'll be back at the dealer. Plan is to put the rear tires/wheels back on the balance machine to see if they are still in balance, or if the tire/wheels are out of round. If they can't detect any problem, I'll have them put one winter tire/wheel on with a summer tire/alloy combo on the opposite side to try and isolate which tire/wheel is the guilty party.

By process of elimination in my crude approach:
  • the van is OK - IE the problem is not axles, or rotors or shocks.
  • a pair of winter tires with steelies is ok
  • the last pair of winter tires with steelies is suspect
TBD - steel wheel, or winter tire is out of round, or not balanced.
Hello macquanski,

We're very sorry to hear of your concerns! If you continue to experience this, please feel free to contact Customer Care at 800-465-2001 if you'd like extra assistance.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
55 Posts
Vibration issue resolved.
The determination at the dealership with the winter tire/steelies on the back axle was that one of the wheels was dented. I was shown the wheel oscillation on the balancing machine while it was run. The remedy, was of course a new steelie and TPM sensor. Given the number of potholes we have on our roads, it's not a possibility that can be ruled out. I was happy to hear of the determination, and actually see it. I left the dealership at 5:00pm as dusk was setting in. With the first snow dump of the year dropping, I decided to validate the fix possibly the next day. But I held off - there were too many accidents on the 401.
Today, with SWMBO in the shotgun seat, I ran down the 401 towards Toronto. We stopped at Port Hope for lunch and then drove home. Compared to the vibration before, there was almost none. A slight vibration - again at around 110 - 120 kph was felt in the seat of the pants, and also visible in the second row headrests. Both SWMBO and I agreed that what remains is acceptable. It starts becoming a case of diminishing returns. The remaining vibration could be a case of rough asphalt in a stretch of pavement, winter tire tread, or a minor out of round wheel,or all of the above, but not worth chasing down.
Most of my travels are on seconday highways and county roads with speed limits of 80 - 90 kph. When I'm on the 401 in eastern Ontario, the speed limit is 100 kph. Usually I do 10 kph above the limit. Except for the odd time when I actually drive to Toronto. There, keeping up with the traffic flow means doing 120 kph, and there are still people doing 130 -140. With my speeds during the winter, the remaining vibration is a non issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m glad to know I’m not the only one experiencing these issues. This shake in the rear end began for me about 2.5 years ago!!! In the city it’s fine but at first it was around 120 km/h it would shake in the rear end. I was told my winter tires were defective and I had them replaced and balanced twice and my problem was still there. I then switched to all season tires(had rear brakes done at the same time also as my front were great) had alignment done checked the rims to make sure they weren’t warped had the tires balanced two more times and my problem didn’t go away. Down the road to now.....my van now shakes as soon as I get just over 100 km/h so it’s getting worse. My van is currently sitting at the shop.....they called and tried to say my front calipers were sticking a bit and that was causing my problem but I know that’s not it as it’s in the rear end and my front brakes were perfect two years ago and I had the same issue then!!!!! I told them I know that’s not it so the van is going back in to be looked at again on the hoist......this is very frustrating!!!! Does anyone have a fix??????

·
Registered
33 Posts
The front shocks are prone to fail, I replaced all four rotors, pads, both rear calipers several sets of new tires, all changed just a little but shaking remained. At 36k, new shocks (front and rear, despite no problems were found) solved the shimmy shaking and vibrating issue. Alignment has been performed a few weeks before I replaced the shocks, didn't take any effect...
Bottom line: replace front shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The front shocks are prone to fail, I replaced all four rotors, pads, both rear calipers several sets of new tires, all changed just a little but shaking remained. At 36k, new shocks (front and rear, despite no problems were found) solved the shimmy shaking and vibrating issue. Alignment has been performed a few weeks before I replaced the shocks, didn't take any effect...
Bottom line: replace front shocks.
But why is the shake only in the rear end of the van? My front end is perfect....no shake at all in the front and can’t feel anything in the steering wheel.....I’m just getting really frustrated

·
Registered
33 Posts
My symptoms were exactly the same, steering wheel didn't move at all, no shimmy or shaking in the wheel. But the front console shook as h*ll, all the rear seats also.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts