The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
Joined
·
12,087 Posts
......For safety, the negative cable is the one to disconnect. If it accidentally contacts something, the results will be much less severe than if a loose positive cable contacts something.....
You got the idea, but it is not correct. You can touch anything with a disconnected positive cable, even the negative side of the battery. The real safety issue is that, if you are disconnecting the positive side first, and you touch any metal part of your vehicle "with your tool" while loosening the cable, you may cause sparks that may in turn cause your battery to explode if it is low in charge or in bad shape. Other than that, you can touch anything with either "disconnected" cable.

Same issue here.

The radio doesn´t turn on after a battery change, but the cell phone was displaying that it was connected to the bluetooth (Uconnect), which give me some hope.

I brought the car to an Car Audio Shop, the guy unassembled the dashboard, removed the radio and the cable in the back of the radio. Waited for 20 minutes and put everything back in place.

This didn´t work!


I´ll try removing the battery and let you know the results.

Thanks.
Just remove one of the battery cable and with that cable touch the other cable a couple of times, you don't need to wait.
 

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Same issue here.

The radio doesn´t turn on after a battery change, but the cell phone was displaying that it was connected to the bluetooth (Uconnect), which give me some hope...
Your radio may have been permanently damaged when you disconnected the battery.

There is a bulletin for the 2008 and 2009 models concerning the REN and REZ MyGig radios being damaged after the battery is disconnected.

From bulletin number: 08-003-09

MyGig REN or REZ Radio Inoperative After Battery Disconnect.

When performing repairs that require battery cable removal, the feed fuse for the radio (30amp, for fuse location please consult DealerConnect, TechConnect, or Fuse Cover) must be removed prior to disconnecting or reconnecting the battery. Disconnecting and Reconnecting the battery can cause electrical spikes that may damage the MyGig - REN or REZ radio. Removal of the fuse will prevent this from occurring.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
It works!!!

Hello again.

I made the procedure (removed only the negative cable and removed the fuse) and it works perfectly...

I waited for 10 minutes only.

And that´s it.

Since we have so many cases of success using the same procedure, someone could put fixed in the top of thread something such as "SOLVED!" and the expalantion just after.

I´m not a person taht is usually interested to discussion forum, but this one proved that it is really useful and worthy. I´ll become a more active member.

Thank you guys... I really apreciate your help.
 

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
Joined
·
12,087 Posts
Hello again.

I made the procedure (removed only the negative cable and removed the fuse) and it works perfectly...

I waited for 10 minutes only.

And that´s it.

Since we have so many cases of success using the same procedure, someone could put fixed in the top of thread something such as "SOLVED!" and the expalantion just after.

I´m not a person taht is usually interested to discussion forum, but this one proved that it is really useful and worthy. I´ll become a more active member.

Thank you guys... I really apreciate your help.
Glad you "fixed" your problem.

This procedure "fix" many, many other problems too, it's been told that this is the first thing to do when you have "electronics" problems.

But, it may not always work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
It worked! Disconnecting battery for 2 hours and then putting mini fuse m10 back in after reconnecting battery magically worked. Weird because I guess the battery wasn't left off long enough when I tried it yesterday. So to recap for those with radio issues after a dead battery, battery replacement, or jump start do this:

1. Disconnect positive then negative lead from battery for 2 hours
2. Remove m10 mini fuse (15amp) even though book says 20
3. Connect positive then negative terminals back to battery
4. Insert m10 fuse back in
5. Turn key to accessory, make a wish, and either do the funky dance or get angry


Thank you UN4GTBL and others! You just saved me $$$. Thanks for the radio replacement tips too.
Why should I be using the 15amp install of what the owners manual stated for 20amp?
 
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Top