The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I somehow left the key in the ignition with the accessory on last night and my wife wakes me up this morning and tells me the car won't start and that I had left the key in the ignition. So I hook up my handy dandy die hard battery charger and jump start the vehicle. Car starts and runs fine and everything is working except the touch screen radio. It is the type with no navigation and has a knob to turn it on and off. The separate DVD player and drop down screens are powering up but will not play a DVD without the radio part.
So far I have checked all the mini fuses, disconnected the battery (turned on headlights to draw out any leftover juice) and radio still won't work. Is there some sort of security tripped I need to reset? Or is it possible I fried the radio without breaking a fuse? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
I know with my Caliber (where I retrofitted a MyGIG) that if I don't pull the radio fuse before re-connecting the radio, the radio won't power on after.

Try disconnecting the battery again, remove the radio fuse, reconnect battery, then re-insert radio fuse.

I thought the MyGIG in our van was dead too once, but I just removed, and reinserted the radio fuse and all was good again.

Hope that does the trick for you!

·
5000 Club
5,726 Posts
Not a radio guy but you may need a security code to get it going again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will try pulling the radio fuse and post back.

If I get a security code from the dealer how and where do I input it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah there is no option for code (yet) as I am getting no power whatsoever. The clock and DVD player below is all powered. I have the battery disconnected right now and I'm leaving it disconnected for a couple hours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it ends up being the radio needs to be replaced how much am I out here? Anyone replaced their stock with an upgraded stereo such as from crutch field? I would only do that as an upgrade to add navigation but only if I could retain steering wheel controls and the dual DVD screens.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You should be able to get a replacement radio from Ebay for $300 or less. Make sure it's a high-speed bus. I bought one for ~ $255 recently to replace mine which stopped working for sirius. I then sold my old one for $197 on Ebay (disclosing that Sirius did not work). There are models on Ebay with and w/o Sirius and of course w/o Sirius is less expensive. Also, try to get one from a vehicle 2011 or older as there will be no security code to deal with.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
^ As said by CampinMike ebay could provide a replacement radio for you. Make sure they are HIGH Speen radios, or it won't work.

Here are the sales codes of the radios to help with your search, if you want to stay OEM:

REN - Probably what you have now
RBZ - Updated REN
RHB - RBZ with Garmin GPS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It worked! Disconnecting battery for 2 hours and then putting mini fuse m10 back in after reconnecting battery magically worked. Weird because I guess the battery wasn't left off long enough when I tried it yesterday. So to recap for those with radio issues after a dead battery, battery replacement, or jump start do this:

1. Disconnect positive then negative lead from battery for 2 hours
2. Remove m10 mini fuse (15amp) even though book says 20
3. Connect positive then negative terminals back to battery
4. Insert m10 fuse back in
5. Turn key to accessory, make a wish, and either do the funky dance or get angry

Thank you UN4GTBL and others! You just saved me $$$. Thanks for the radio replacement tips too.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Great to hear!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to try this on my 2007. All I did before was to disconnect the battery for about thirty seconds and then reconnect it. Perhaps this will do the trick.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,086 Posts
I am going to try this on my 2007. All I did before was to disconnect the battery for about thirty seconds and then reconnect it. Perhaps this will do the trick.
You only need to disconnect one side of the battery, either one.
If you disconnect the battery, then you don't need to remove any fuse.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, that did not work either. Left the battery disconnected, removed the fuses, including the IOD, reconnected the battery, replaced the fuses; still no radio or clock. Thanks anyway for the advice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FWIW, this happened to me once and I didn't need to disconnect the battery...I just pulled the fuse (I was checking to see if it had blown when I jumped the van) and plugged it back in and the radio came back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solved my problem with dead in-dash VES in 2009 Town & Country.

It worked!! Thanks, airsense00. I followed your 5 steps and ended up doing the funky dance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You only need to disconnect one side of the battery, either one.
If you disconnect the battery, then you don't need to remove any fuse.

Good luck!
Yes, unless you are removing the battery, you only need to disconnect one cable. For safety, the negative cable is the one to disconnect. If it accidentally contacts something, the results will be much less severe than if a loose positive cable contacts something.

Also, there should be no need to wait for two hours before re-connecting. Five minutes should be plenty of time for the system to reset itself if it's going to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Town & Country VES screen 1 won't turn on after dead battery?

Left van on downloading music VIA USB. Battery went dead. After wife got a jump start we noticed the first VES screen ( one of two) when brought down doesn't turn on ??? So second / rear one does turn on but blank split screens as if not connected. Go to VES modes on dash and it says to turn on VES. Remote doesn't work as I don't see the dim lit red leds under the IR covers up top. The rear heatin control knob for fan speed is not lit up either anymore?? WTF ????? I will try the fuse remove trick. Wonder if my wife removing the usb when it was dead caused any problems. HELP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue here

Same issue here.

The radio doesn´t turn on after a battery change, but the cell phone was displaying that it was connected to the bluetooth (Uconnect), which give me some hope.

I brought the car to an Car Audio Shop, the guy unassembled the dashboard, removed the radio and the cable in the back of the radio. Waited for 20 minutes and put everything back in place.

This didn´t work!

I´ll try removing the battery and let you know the results.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts