The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 16 Town and Country it has 103k in great shape but I notice it has a noticeable loud lifter tic
I tried some Rislone and then changed the oil .. same
Also tried 6 ounces of Seamfoam ..
No change
I’d like to see in it another year
Is this a common issue ?
And will it hurt to just drive it

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Not sure about your ticking sound, but I gave up using additives years ago. I feel they do nothing other that lighten your wallet. Modern engine oils/transmission fluids etc have everything they need for keeping powertrains clean and properly lubed. I know little about the head problem on some of the Pentastars, but think that the issues became apparent at lower mileage than you have on yours.

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
118 Posts
Ticking from the valvetrain on the 3.6’s is a known issue. The rocker arms are known to go bad.

To confirm it is a valve train (likely rocker) issue use a mechanic’s stethoscope to listen for anomalous sounds coming from your valvetrain.

Use the fuel injectors as a rough guide for where to place the stethoscope on the valve cover on the back cylinder bank to listen to the valve train components associated with cylinders 1,3,5.

For the front bank, place the stethoscope near the oil fill tube for cylinder #2, the driver’s side end of the valve cover for cylinder #6. Pull back the upper radiator hose and you’ll see a spot where you can place the stethoscope to listen to cylinder valve train components for cylinder #4.

I posted a picture a few days ago illustrating this for a forum member. I’m sure it would be easy to find that thread if you’d like to see the picture.

If your issue is a bad rocker, continuing to drive it will cause the bad rocker to eat into the associated camshaft lobe - requiring you to replace the camshaft.

·
Super Moderator
25,408 Posts
This Post beretta96?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,084 Posts
Replace your rockers! Best to replace lifters too, at least the ones on bad rockers.

The additives won't help in the slightest. They can't put the bearings back in the rockers or un-shave your cam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts