The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
So, without buying more hardware, what else can I turn on?

Does turning on reverse beeping actually work? No, I don't want that feature. My wheelchair can do that to, I have it turned off.
4 corner tire monitor should work for all EVIC models.

Reverse beeping is done by the same beeper that works when the power hatch is activated. Not sure if manual liftgates will have this installed already.

You can change DRL drop out when turns signals are activated. I like that feature because it makes the signal more visible, so you probably don't want to change that.

Also fog light drop out with high beams. Guys on the Ram forums call this "Bambi mode". Disabling this will allow all bulbs to be on when fog lights and high beams are both on. Useful in very dark areas, highly illegal in cities.

That's all I can think of that doesn't require additional hardware. But there's tons of stuff you can add. There are relays that are normally not used that can be activated to run aftermarket accessories. Pretty much any factory feature can be enabled if the hardware exists.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
The thing is... it is new. Well, new enough. Did it earlier this year when I did that Wrangler coolant crossover mod. Should still be under warranty.

Guess it gives me a reason to throw the 180 degree thermostat that the high performance Pentastar guys are bragging on.
I don't see how a few degrees would help at all on a daily driver.

If you can explain what can you expect it would be helpful.

I live in very hot South Texas, I know it wouldn't help me at all, but for those living down North it might help, you might have something in mind.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
340 Posts
I'm all for leaving the fog lights on with the high beams. I've never used it around town but out in the middle of nowhere it's a handy feature. I had after market fog lights on several of my old Ford vans.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I don't see how a few degrees would help at all on a daily driver.

If you can explain what can you expect it would be helpful.

I live in very hot South Texas, I know it wouldn't help me at all, but for those living down North it might help, you might have something in mind.
The argument is that the engine will perform a tiny bit better running slightly cooler. I can see that being more helpful to a lightly driven daily driver, actually. At lower RPMs it may actually have an affect on intake temperatures. For performance use I only see a benefit in reducing the chance of knock by keeping the cylinder cooler. Worst case scenario, it gives me an additional 23 degrees from the red line of death. :p

It's not really one of those mods that I'm really sold on, but a fair amount of people using them swear they make a difference. Could just be a case of sunk losses syndrome for those guys.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
The argument is that the engine will perform a tiny bit better running slightly cooler. I can see that being more helpful to a lightly driven daily driver, actually. At lower RPMs it may actually have an affect on intake temperatures. For performance use I only see a benefit in reducing the chance of knock by keeping the cylinder cooler. Worst case scenario, it gives me an additional 23 degrees from the red line of death. :p

It's not really one of those mods that I'm really sold on, but a fair amount of people using them swear they make a difference. Could just be a case of sunk losses syndrome for those guys.
Thermostat doesn't regulates temperature, it just helps the engine to reach running temperature faster.

On cold weather might help to keep lower temperature, but in hot weather it doesn't really helps.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Regulating temperature is entirely what a thermostat is supposed to do. It's shut until operating temp and then opens until it drops below. It doesn't just go full open at operating temp either. There is usually a 5-15 degree range to get to full open. It's a control valve for coolant temperature. Some cars are regulated so well that unless driven hard in hot weather the fans will never kick on.

We're going on some serious tangents now. This thread was supposed to be about finding the EVIC with the trans temp readings.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Regulating temperature is entirely what a thermostat is supposed to do. It's shut until operating temp and then opens until it drops below. It doesn't just go full open at operating temp either. There is usually a 5-15 degree range to get to full open. It's a control valve for coolant temperature. Some cars are regulated so well that unless driven hard in hot weather the fans will never kick on.

We're going on some serious tangents now. This thread was supposed to be about finding the EVIC with the trans temp readings.
As I've said, it might make a difference on colder climates but not on hot places like South Texas. There is no way a thermostat will make your engine run cooler than it would run without thermostat.

Many fools (some mechanics included), still believe when thermostat closes it will give radiator more time to cool the coolant because coolant is not moving, when coolant is not moving in the radiator, it isn't moving inside the engine either.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As I've said, it might make a difference on colder climates but not on hot places like South Texas. There is no way a thermostat will make your engine run cooler than it would run without thermostat.

Many fools (some mechanics included), still believe when thermostat closes it will give radiator more time to cool the coolant because coolant is not moving, when coolant is not moving in the radiator, it isn't moving inside the engine either.
The thermostat still regulates coolant flow, even in hot weather. It may stay open most of the time, but if the coolant temperature is steady it is doing some flow regulation. The only time it could be fully open constantly is when the cooling capacity of the rad is exceeded. That may happen in stop and go traffic, and then you would see the temp climb, particularly when stopped.

If you put a 180 degree thermostat in instead of a 195, it might run cooler. If the radiator has excess cooling capacity, it will run cooler. But more likely the rad is designed for the factory specified temperature. I had a GM LT-1 that specified a 180 degree thermostat so the rad was obviously designed for it. It was a rock steady 178 degrees while driving, even in really hot weather (read from the OBD). It would only start to climb when stopped in traffic.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
The thermostat still regulates coolant flow, even in hot weather.

If you put a 180 degree thermostat in instead of a 195, it might run cooler. If the radiator has excess cooling capacity, it will run cooler. But more likely the rad is designed for the factory specified temperature. I had a GM LT-1 that specified a 180 degree thermostat so the rad was obviously designed for it. It was a rock steady 178 degrees while driving, even in really hot weather (read from the OBD). It would only start to climb when stopped in traffic.
And I do agree, but it might happen in colder climates, but not when outside temperature is 109° +

What really regulates temperature are the radiator fans.

Run your engine with fans disconnected and see it for yourself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have the EVIC and the auto dim mirror, maybe you could try and enable auto high beams, see what that does.
The AHBM feature needs a different rear view mirror with a camera on it. This is actually an additional module and needs CAN-IHS connectivity.
Retrofitted this feature to my Routan, where this was never available.

There is a special aim tool to calibrate the setup.

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

Reactions: Michalb and Sienile

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
456 Posts
And I do agree, but it might happen in colder climates, but not when outside temperature is 109° +

This, all day long. :) For GTOs, replacing the thermostat with a lower-temperature unit will only bring the coolant temp down on the highway. For around-town driving, the cooling fans aren't set to turn on until 221 degrees F, so a lower-temp 'stat won't help there unless you wire in a manual switch for the fans or change it in the tune.

·
Registered
185 Posts

The fans are essential for slow speeds, but don't do much at higher speeds like on the highway. And they don't come on anyway unless the temp is well over 195 (somebody said 221?), so they aren't regulating when the temp is at or near 195. The thermostat still regulates temperature according to experts including Stant:

"Regulate the engine's operating temperature: By opening and closing in response to specific changes in coolant temperature to keep the engine's temperature within the desired operating range "

So if your DGC runs a steady 195 when the outside temp is 109, you can thank your thermostat!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
The AHBM feature needs a different rear view mirror with a camera on it. This is actually an additional module and needs CAN-IHS connectivity.
Retrofitted this feature to my Routan, where this was never available.

There is a special aim tool to calibrate the setup.

View attachment 58734

View attachment 58735
Thanks, I'd like to add this to my vehicle as well. So 2 can bus wires (the plus and minus) and the mirror with the camera? How does one calibrate the camera?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not to beat this topic to death but...2014 Chrysler T&C owners manual. P.317 shows Base instrument cluster. Base means you had the Base T&C. P.318 shows Premium with EVIC. You may have had to have L trim or higher for this. I owned a 2013 Base no EVIC.If you notice the 2020 Grand Caravan and maybe older the EVIC is not on any trim level. EVIC equipped you have buttons to control it on left of steering wheel.
Pages 333-347 are all about EVIC.
P.347......VEHICLE INFORMATION. It displays the following. Coolant Temp., Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Engine Hours, if equipped....Trailer Brake.
EVIC is a nice feature. I never heard of it as an add on option. Only standard on higher trim level. Probably shows up at a FCA or Mopar parts schematic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have never seen a non-EVIC T & C , just Caravans.
I owned a 2013 T&C Touring. I’m sure it didn’t have EVIC because there was no individual tp display or vehicle information ie coolant temp, oil temp and pressure, engine hours.
I’m thinking any display in that area Base or Premium instrument cluster is being called EVIC. I think only cars equipped with left steering wheel control buttons and a display with the information showing on pages 333-347 are EVIC equipped.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you notice the 2020 Grand Caravan and maybe older the EVIC is not on any trim level. EVIC equipped you have buttons to control it on left of steering wheel.
Yup, here is a 2020 DGC with it. My 2019 also has it. Now I'm in Canada and we have more trim levels, but there are US models with it. I had a 2020 DGC rental in March in FL that had it, and also a 2029 rental in last October.
2020 EVIC.jpg
Edit: EVIC is also described in the 2020 US DGC owners manual starting page 86. It says it displays tire pressure and transmission temperature, but doesn't.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
I owned a 2013 T&C Touring. I’m sure it didn’t have EVIC because there was no individual tp display or vehicle information ie coolant temp, oil temp and pressure, engine hours.
I’m thinking any display in that area Base or Premium instrument cluster is being called EVIC. I think only cars equipped with left steering wheel control buttons and a display with the information showing on pages 333-347 are EVIC equipped.
Full EVIC

Non-EVIC

Which one you had?

81 - 100 of 126 Posts