The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
why did Chrysler never introduce the diesel engine to North America? Why only Europe?
Generally diesels don't sell well. People still tend to think of them as loud and dirty, and there are far fewer diesel pumps in NA. EU has been using diesel for a long time and is set up for it.

As for the tail lights, I'd love to get ahold of some EU tail lights. I really don't like having my brake and turn signal being on the same bulbs. That second between checking the other side to see if it's brake or turn could mean the difference in getting rear ended. Don't know why the US hasn't adopted EU tail light standards yet. They even get a rear fog marker.

Reactions: Michalb

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
188 Posts
One reason I believe that the diesel was introduced over there an not here . I remember back before the so called gas shortage ( the first one ) of hearing of gas being North of three dollars a litre over there. When it was 30 cents here I can just imagine what it be in today's market

·
Registered
185 Posts
What I was referring to was that the T&C has a higher top speed on some models then others.

The normal clusters show up to 120mph, but higher end shows 140mph. I see a lot of T&C with the 4.0L in the auto wrecker go up to 140. Dodge clusters only went up to 120.
Regardless of what the cluster shows, both are most likely limited to the same top speed. Speed is electronically limited, and usually set based on tire rating. My DGC's tires are rated for 112mph.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Generally diesels don't sell well. People still tend to think of them as loud and dirty, and there are far fewer diesel pumps in NA. EU has been using diesel for a long time and is set up for it.

As for the tail lights, I'd love to get ahold of some EU tail lights. I really don't like having my brake and turn signal being on the same bulbs. That second between checking the other side to see if it's brake or turn could mean the difference in getting rear ended. Don't know why the US hasn't adopted EU tail light standards yet. They even get a rear fog marker.
Haven't seen a gas station that doesn't sell diesel, at least not in Texas.

In my area, all pumps also pumps diesel.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
Regardless of what the cluster shows, both are most likely limited to the same top speed. Speed is electronically limited, and usually set based on tire rating. My DGC's tires are rated for 112mph.
I actually checked the top speed of a cluster with the higher speed VS the lower speed cluster using appcar. The lower speed had the limit at the top speed of what the cluster showed, the high speed had a top speed limit speed showed 10 km/hour more (210km/hour) So it's funny, it shows it goes up to 220 but can do 10km/hour less only. I can change this setting in appcar, that's where I went to check what the values were.

There's still no way I will ever go that fast

I agree with you, I think they are quite important, maybe I'll add those in the near future! Thankfully the newer 5'th gen T&C has the designated turn indicator in the tail light, but the GCV still doesn't.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice talk here :)

The EVIC shows tire pressure for each tire individually when TIPM / Vehicle Config 2 / TPM Premium is set to 'Set'. Just a click using Appcar DiagFCA.
May not be true for lower end Caravan clusters.

Even if you change the setting for top speed in the TIPM, van will not do a mile more. You would need to change the ABS module to the European one as well...these allow top speed of 130mph/210km/h.

On all 5 gens you are able to have separate brake and turn signals in the tail lights. TIPM / TIPM Reconfigurable Parameters / Combined Rear Lighting Enable set to 'Not Set'. Another click using Appcar DiagFCA.
Rear turn signal will remain on TIPM C7 pin 49 and pin 50, rear brake light will move to (the until then unused) C7 pin 47 and pin 48.

Have both at hand, a 5th gen 2.8 CRD, and a 5th gen 3.6...they are both fun, but the V6 sounds much better. The diesel gets not much better gas mileage. Seems the turbo inline four struggles more with all that mass.

Reactions: Sienile and Michalb

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I know the setting in AlfaOBD for max speed does nothing. Not sure if an EU ABS will get you there either. There is a fuel cut value in the PCM that is set to 112. I'm going to set that to the completely unobtainable 255mph. :p

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well around here, and back home in MS, most gas stations that sell diesel have 1 or 2 diesel pumps for every 4 to 24 pumps. 60% of the gas stations do not sell diesel at all. Usually the ones closer to interstates will have them, but in the city it's rare. Not as rare as E85, but still enough to make you worry when on low fuel in an unfamiliar area.

Of course, truck stops are an exception to this.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts
Well around here, and back home in MS, most gas stations that sell diesel have 1 or 2 diesel pumps for every 4 to 24 pumps. 60% of the gas stations do not sell diesel at all. Usually the ones closer to interstates will have them, but in the city it's rare. Not as rare as E85, but still enough to make you worry when on low fuel in an unfamiliar area.

Of course, truck stops are an exception to this.
Weird.

Here every pump have all kind of fuels available, no diesel designated pumps unless you are at a truck stop and fueling on the truck side.

20+ years ago, you could find diesel only pumps, not anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is a fuel cut value in the PCM that is set to 112. I'm going to set that to the completely unobtainable 255mph. :p
Do report back.
The Lancia Voyager diesel is limited to 130mph/210km/h, PCM and TCM have a non 50-States PCM flash, a BUX flash. Also the ABS module has an export flash (68183803AC).

Reactions: Michalb

·
Registered
185 Posts
Weird.

Here every pump have all kind of fuels available, no diesel designated pumps unless you are at a truck stop and fueling on the truck side.

20+ years ago, you could find diesel only pumps, not anymore.
But the diesel has a dedicated hose/nozzle, right?

Here in Ontario there are still lots of stations that don't sell diesel, even though Canadians adopted diesels earlier and to a greater degree than the US. It's a bit of a pain finding one when I rent a diesel truck.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring
340 Posts
That's pretty cool. It so totally worked. I can now check my tire pressure without help. Very handy considering how gimpy I am.

Gotta like the coolant temperature and gas gauges, they look like toys under those large tachometer and speedometer gauges.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
As important as it is, the temp gauge is too small for my tastes. Was nearly at 3/4 last night while doing some high load maneuvers to get a broad range of stock tune data. I noticed my laptop freaking out from the corner of my eye before the temp gauge. Guess my thermostat got stuck closed. :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Eep! It's a tiny gauge all right, so it the fuel gauge. Might be time for a new thermostat.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The thing is... it is new. Well, new enough. Did it earlier this year when I did that Wrangler coolant crossover mod. Should still be under warranty.

Guess it gives me a reason to throw the 180 degree thermostat that the high performance Pentastar guys are bragging on. Of course tuning is required and I haven't got a good stock data log because of said failed thermostat, so maybe not.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
That's pretty cool. It so totally worked. I can now check my tire pressure without help. Very handy considering how gimpy I am.

Gotta like the coolant temperature and gas gauges, they look like toys under those large tachometer and speedometer gauges.
View attachment 58723
Wow, so I guess anyone with this type of display can enable the premium TPMS and have each individual tire data like you now have!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have no idea, but in my case it worked perfectly. My van's the Touring model Town and Country.

So, without buying more hardware, what else can I turn on?

Does turning on reverse beeping actually work? No, I don't want that feature. My wheelchair can do that to, I have it turned off.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
437 Posts
I have no idea, but in my case it worked perfectly. My van's the Touring model Town and Country.

So, without buying more hardware, what else can I turn on?

Does turning on reverse beeping actually work? No, I don't want that feature. My wheelchair can do that to, I have it turned off.
If you have the EVIC and the auto dim mirror, maybe you could try and enable auto high beams, see what that does. If you don't have the auto mirror then it won't work, the sensor is mounted to the backside of the auto mirror. You also need an auto headlight switch, which I assume you have installed on your van already. at night, with the headlights on and in the auto position, if you flick the high beam lever forward it will flash a message in the EVIC asking if you want to turn on auto high beams.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts