The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,431 Posts
Has anybody said rotate tires front to rear first to see if that changes anything?
Changing direction of rotation can fix things too and is the only solution sometimes.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buying cheap bargain tires is rarely a bargain. Looking at the CT Hydro Edge tires, they weigh 10-13 lbs more than a good tire like the Michelin Latitude Tour. That tells me they are crudely made, probably in China.

Cheap tires are like $5 junk shoes. They might look like shoes, but they will not wear like good shoes and they may wreck your feet. Likewise, trusting your life to cheap Chinese tires is a false economy IMO. Buy a tested brand name tire that has a good reputation.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Buying cheap bargain tires is rarely a bargain. Looking at the CT Hydro Edge tires, they weigh 10-13 lbs more than a good tire like the Michelin Latitude Tour. That tells me they are crudely made, probably in China.

Cheap tires are like $5 junk shoes. They might look like shoes, but they will not wear like good shoes and they may wreck your feet. Likewise, trusting your life to cheap Chinese tires is a false economy IMO. Buy a tested brand name tire that has a good reputation.
I've had numerous sets of Motomaster tires over the years. Don't recall any issues. As much as I'd like top tier tires and would love to shoe them all with Michelin Defenders, I have 4 vehicles, so it would get quite costly. I may be wrong, but I thought Canadian Tire tendered out contracts to reputable tire manufacturers to make their tires. Also, even 'cheap' Chinese tires have to meet safety standards to be sold in Canada. How strenuous those standards are, who knows.

·
Super Moderator
26,431 Posts
Motormaster tires are pretty reputable, used to be made by Good Year. It will say on the sidewall where the tire was made. If it has full depth sipes, it's likely a quality tire, cheaply made tires are hit and miss on that.

The tire has a high road rating and reviews are favorable. Looks okay to me. Wonder if it's made by Cooper?

It appears to be a heavy tire, getting into off road territory, maybe extra plies for light truck use. The description on plies will be on the tire.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, some developments...

There was a spot in the shop yesterday after school, so I rolled the van and changed out the front rotors and pads. The shop is very busy there days, so have to grab the opportunity when it presents itself. The inner pads were worn down to a bit less than 1/4". After the changeout, much of the vibration is gone. After parking the van in the driveway and walking in to the house, here's what I stumbled across (see pic below)...

So, not super impressed with Canadian tire at the moment. I have been to CT 3 times over the past few days. First to have my Maxtrek tires installed. Then I returned to have them rebalanced. The tech said that one wheel was out by 2 oz. They rebalanced them. Remember, I said initially that the van drove great? It had for a short time. Same thing happened after the second and third balance. I go back in and have CT replace my tires with the Motomaster tires. Drives good for a bit, then starts vibrating. Then find the wheel weights in my driveway. What are the odds, eh? Question is, are these weights from the first, second or third balancing? The rim was not cleaned in the spot that the wheel weights were applied. There was dirt completely covering the adhesive tape on the wheel weights. Have weights fallen off on the highway from any or all of the previous balancings? So, I guess either, in the future, I find a better tire shop, or clean my inner wheels before going to a shop. It's possible that some of my rustproofing got on the inside of my wheels, but I'd still think it would be common practice to clean the area that the weights are attached. I've had tires installed and wheels balanced in other shops as I stood there and have seen techs clean (and even lightly sand) the wheels where the weights are installed. Further, once of my wheels sustained a circumferential scratch from the tire machine. I has asked them to be careful and if they could minimize contact with the wheel. And, naturally, they told me that the tire arm wouldn't contact the tire at all. My fault, I guess, for not going to a dedicated wheel and tire shop.

I'm going to try to recoup one of my installation and balancing charges from CT and take my van to Coast Tire (had them do excellent work before). I'll show CT the scratch and above pic of the wheel weights in my driveway. On the upside, I either have an extra set of tires for the van, or I can confidently sell the Maxtreks, knowing that there is nothing wrong with them.

Brake job. Caliper pins were completely free, and slid in and out with almost no pressure so I left them alone for now. Everything came apart and reassembled easily. Braking is super smooth, tested at highway speeds.

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
Looks good!

Don't like TPMS? Why? It's just another source of information.

I got in my Van one day, a year or two back, the light came on before I left the driveway, so I didn't drive down the road ruining a tire and possibly a rim in the process, plus, plus all the adventures a flat tire on the road can conjure up.
No tire looked down - so much for the visual check.
Checked tire pressure and found the bad tire, also saw the nail. Plugged the hole, aired up the tire up to 38 psi* and was on my way, light gone.
* light my have stayed on if I aired the tire up to a lesser number
Correct, those who claim they don't like them usually are those who just don't want to spend money to fix them. Not saying this is the case.

Many times happens when on the road. Checking the tires before you drive doesn't help.

Hard to feel a low tire on modern vehicles, by the time you feel it it is probably too late to save the tire.
My reason for not liking the TPMS system is due to my somewhat obsessive nature. I can never get the numbers to read precisely the same. 🤣 Joking. I'll get it fixed, but I did have fun disabling it in AppCar. No doubt I'll get it fixed as I like all systems to be functional.
TPMS, like any technology is great, when it works, and doesn't require you to go to the dealer to have them re-program the vehicle every time you swap your winter wheels for summer wheels cough TOYOTA cough

Also, it's only really useful when you have a per wheel pressure display, otherwise it's an annoying guessing game. And that display is only useful to me when I set it to psi, as it bothers me too when they don't match :D:rolleyes:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts