The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new set of tires for the van, so figured I'd give the alloys a little spiffing up. I cheaped out on tires, as I already bought 2 new sets and have another to buy. Big year for tires! The tires I bought for the van are MaxTrek Sierra S6 tires. Apparently, they are a tough tires with a solid construction. We shall see how they handle, how quiet they are and how they hold up in terms of treadwear.

The alloys are in great shape. They polished up nice and got two coats of my old standby acrylic sealer, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze.

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Look great!

When I saw the title, I knew who it was. :)

I did think of Spong though.
New summer shoes for the T&C on SRT Wheels

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I know it's not really your thing, but I enjoy doing such stuff. Have an appointment this afternoon at CT to get the new tires installed. I'll report back on my initial impressions of the cheap tires. (y) I've decided to just take the wheels and new tires to them. I'd rather install the wheels myself so as to get the torque right. :p

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New tires installed on alloys. I've got some 2K epoxy primer and caliper paint to apply before I mount the wheels.

And, on the way home...reached a new milestone... I'm back to standard units.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look great!

When I saw the title, I knew who it was. :)

I did think of Spong though.
New summer shoes for the T&C on SRT Wheels
Yeah, he did a great job! Looks amazing. And, those dual tips! Nice.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
10 Posts
06DGC, Did you polish them by hand or use some type of buffing wheel? They look great!
Is that acrylic sealer applied like wax? I’m asking as I need to do that to mine. Thanks.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
06DGC, Did you polish them by hand or use some type of buffing wheel? They look great!
Is that acrylic sealer applied like wax? I’m asking as I need to do that to mine. Thanks.
CaptMax
Hey CaptMax. I use a dual action polisher and 6" foam pads. I do between the narrow spokes by hand. The product I use is Meguiars Ultimate Compound, followed by Ultimate Polish. Yes, the Klasse is applied in a similar manner to wax, but with a couple different steps. Here's a link to the process I use. Once you have a coat or two on, it's super quick for subsequent coats if you decide to do it. I've been using Klasse for years. It's by far the most durable, long-lasting product I've ever used.

Detailed Image - Klasse SG

My process differs from Detailed Image, as I don't use a quick detailer to remove the initial sealant application, I just wet my applicator with water, squeeze it out and the add a few drops of the sealant. I wipe a section, immediately dry it off with one towel, then polish it with another. Super easy, but do small sections at a time.

Application on my van, see post #84

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels on... Unfortunately, one of my TPMS sensors crapped out. Possibly broken by the tech that installed the new tires. Never liked TPMS and don't need it as I check my tire pressure regularly, plus do a quick walkaround before I drive. I disabled TPMS in AppCar DiagFCA...great app!

The Maxtrek tires are very quiet and smooth. I did a quick highway run and all seems well.

I need a new phone as the pic quality sucks.

Went and got my wife's iPhone - significantly better! In the meantime, it started to snow.

Attachments

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Don't like TPMS? Why? It's just another source of information.

I got in my Van one day, a year or two back, the light came on before I left the driveway, so I didn't drive down the road ruining a tire and possibly a rim in the process, plus, plus all the adventures a flat tire on the road can conjure up.
No tire looked down - so much for the visual check.
Checked tire pressure and found the bad tire, also saw the nail. Plugged the hole, aired up the tire up to 38 psi* and was on my way, light gone.
* light my have stayed on if I aired the tire up to a lesser number

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
13,848 Posts
Don't like TPMS? Why? It's just another source of information.
Correct, those who claim they don't like them usually are those who just don't want to spend money to fix them. Not saying this is the case.

Never liked TPMS and don't need it as I check my tire pressure regularly, plus do a quick walkaround before I drive.
Many times happens when on the road. Checking the tires before you drive doesn't help.

Hard to feel a low tire on modern vehicles, by the time you feel it it is probably too late to save the tire.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My reason for not liking the TPMS system is due to my somewhat obsessive nature. I can never get the numbers to read precisely the same. 🤣 Joking. I'll get it fixed, but I did have fun disabling it in AppCar. No doubt I'll get it fixed as I like all systems to be functional.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
My reason for not liking the TPMS system is due to my somewhat obsessive nature. I can never get the numbers to read precisely the same. 🤣 Joking. I'll get it fixed, but I did have fun disabling it in AppCar. No doubt I'll get it fixed as I like all systems to be functional.
That didn't take much persuasion. :)

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: LEVY and Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
You are having fun with your new toy, that's the main thing. They are a great vehicle, grossly underrated, the silent dependable, no fuss workers. :)

Reactions: UN4GTBL and 06DGC

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You are having fun with your new toy, that's the main thing. They are a great vehicle, grossly underrated, the silent dependable, no fuss workers. :)
Well, not so much fun at the moment unfortunately. I started to notice some vibration in my new tires at around 110 km/h. Took the van back and had them rebalanced. Same issue. So, today, I bought a new set of Motomaster Hydra Edge tires - on sale at CT. Well, guess what...still vibration. I'm going to install one steel wheel and winter tire at a time to try and isolate the problem wheel. Van drove smooth as silk with the steelies and Yokohama winter tires, and with the 225/60R17 Black Lions I had on before the Yokohamas. I had the tech at CT check each of my alloys for runout, radial and lateral. All wheels looked great, he said.

I'll throw on my new brakes all around as I have those parts on my shelf. If brakes and tire testing doesn't work, I'll start looking at suspension parts. Seems that shocks, front and rear have contributed to this issue.

Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Front or back? Braking or non braking? Does touching the brake change the vibration?

It's the wheels. Put your steelies back on and see. I would track the problem down rather than do any new work to confuse the situation.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front or back? Braking or non braking? Does touching the brake change the vibration?

It's the wheels. Put your steelies back on and see. I would track the problem down rather than do any new work to confuse the situation.
Surprisingly hard to tell if it's the front or rear. Zero steering wheel wobble. It's more like a very small hopping effect. Indeed, I will start with one steelie at a time before any brake work. Braking makes no difference, however swerving back and forth makes the vibration a little more noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
26,430 Posts
Sounds like a good approach to me. Check the rotors and pad wear while doing it.
Reported brake problems include stuck rusted pins and rotor surfaces delaminating.

Reactions: 06DGC
1 - 20 of 26 Posts