The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Oil filter size question - Dodge Journey 2.4

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
Another (possibly stupid) oil question. I have noticed that there is another (longer) oil filter available which has the same configuration (diameter & mounting design) as the one indicated for my Journey 2.4 L engine, and that since the filter hangs straight down, there is plenty of room for the longer filter. I was thinking that if I use the larger filter, more of the oil should be filtered, as less oil will be forced through the by-pass valve in the filter (due to the increased surface area of the filter).

The Question: Would doing this mess with the oil pressure? That is, would the oil pressure be too low, due to the filter producing less back pressure, or is that not how it works at all?

#2 ·
It would not change the pressure, but your idea of reducing bypass is incorrect. Oil does not go through the bypass until the filter is clogged or under a very cold start. If you change your oil frequently, I wouldn't bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.