The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts
I've heard many times that the limitation of modern synthetic oil is the filter needs changed before the oil, and that the additives run out before the the oil breaks down.

Oil is cheaper than piston rings and valve seals though. As a mechanic I do two things, "preventative maintenance", and repairs...🤷
Yes, the additives are the life and performance of the oil. The base oil goes along for the ride and lasts a longer time.

Some filters do have mileage ratings for them plus technical data as well. With a Mopar filter, and some inexpensive filters, no information is available.

The mileage ratings are conservative, I think, and based on worse conditions. The FRAM TG11665 that I am using is rated at 15,000 miles, their next step up one is rated at 20,000 miles. So two 10,000 km oil changes should be fine with either filter.

The 3 FRAM filters are 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000 miles

A FRAM Rep was a member here years back. He and shipo debated this oil filter longevity topic with gusto IIRC. :)

FRAM OIL FILTERS
GET THE DIRT ON FRAM OIL FILTERS AND GET BETTER ENGINE PROTECTION, PLUS PERFORMANCE.

Too bad all oil filters don't have this degree of detail.

What determines the life of the filter? Dirt holding capacity should be the big factor, one would think.

No comments.

Chrysler gives no mileage/time credit for using synthetic oil in the 3.6L minivan engine. You are believing Mobil 1. No comment on that. :)

What is your oil change interval?

What determines the life of the filter? Dirt holding capacity should be the big factor, one would think.
Not necessarily. Filter media is what would make difference nowadays. Not because the capacity of hold dirt, but the capacity to hold it's shape and properties.

Better lubricants means less oil contaminants.

Dependent on too many factors. Any estimation we make is just at best an estimation. The oils and filters could go well beyond the "recommendation", but I'm not taking that risk with my motor, and I don't believe for a moment anybody else who cares enough to have an account here is gambling on motor oil and filters either.

Reactions: Jeepman and LEVY
Not necessarily. Filter media is what would make difference nowadays. Not because the capacity of hold dirt, but the capacity to hold it's shape and properties.

Better lubricants means less oil contaminants.
Maybe that's why the top FRAM filter has wire mesh reinforcement.

Reactions: LEVY
Oil filters have always outlasted the oil itself. As a matter of fact, many still use the ole formula of changing oil filter at every other oil change.
For what I pay for oil filters I'm thinking of going back to the ole formula . I use Mopar filters because the filters I have at my job ( Valvoline ) I get noise on cold starts . For as often as I change my oil. Filter every other should be sufficient

Speaking of filters, after I rebuild this transmission, I'm definitely going to put a massive 5 micron screw on hydraulic filter and remote mounting block on my Transmission cooler return line.

3,000 mi., 5-6,000 mi., 10,000 mi. ....now OLM's.

Me? I just wait for the clicking to get loud before any oil change. The oil that drains splashes less so it's a neater job.
Also, it's real thick and lumpy so there's less to recycle!

Me? I just wait for the clicking to get loud before any oil change. The oil that drains splashes less so it's a neater job.
Just get a two stroke or a tesla, you'll never have to deal with oil changes!

Where exactly?

Can't see it. 🤣

View attachment 60209
That's not the Ultra, wrong color.

Look down inside and you can see the mesh. :)

• A rigid metal screen support offers outstanding pressure resistance and flow spacing.
Here's the spin on Ultra:

Attachments

Reactions: LEVY

Sounds like that would make good transmission fluid, wouldn't hear any noise at all. :)

Why no external transmission filter?
No really needed. The more you add to the hydraulic system, the more problems you get.

That, plus ATF goes through the pickup filter first. If this filter is going to be plugged up, it will regardles if you have a secondary filter or not.

Installing a secondary filter is just looking for troubles.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying, I wouldn't do it. 😁

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.