The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Grand Caravan SXT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been through a couple of oil changes so far but have not seen a oil change light so far. About how many miles in between should I expect. In my other cars the light pops up and when resetting it is apparent. In the van it’s hard to tell if anything is going on. I am a fan of these systems as the old 3K mile oil change seemed way to early.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,411 Posts
I target for 10,000 km (6,200 miles) using Valvoline Daily Protection 5W-30 Conventional oil. Right now I'm beyond that at 13,000 with no oil change reminder yet, but will be changing oil this week. I'm using a FRAM Tough Guard TG11665 oil filter rated at 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and will likely leave it on there for this oil change.
Last oil change I used Pennzoil full synthetic and let it go until the oil change reminder light started glowing at over 15,000 km.
Actual oil change: 15,467 km and 247 engine hours, averaging 62.6 km (39 miles) per engine our..

·
Registered
482 Posts
My OLM comes on ~15,000Km (9,500 miles) usually.
I change the oil at 10,000Km (or yearly) whichever comes first - easy to remember and well within limits

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I wait till the light comes on or 12 months. The light always comes first by months.

Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Super Moderator
25,411 Posts
Think every September is way too long for an oil change.

I like being proactive, so I change it every April instead. Better safe than sorry. :oops:
What reminds you to do the oil change, April showers? :)

Reactions: LEVY

·
Vendor
1,526 Posts
According to Carfax, the previous owner of my van changed it at 10,000 miles almost exactly, which tells me that is when the OLM comes on. They did a 6500 once as well. It was a country van, all highway miles, so it didn’t bother me.

I run around 6000 miles on all my oil changes, but will probably be doing it on a 12 month interval this year due to COVID and the lack of driving. That will be March....I’ve never seen the light on either my 2012 or this van. My 95 and 02 weren’t nice enough to tell me it was time for a change.

I use Valvoline Max-Life but I’m switching to the Havoline 6 quart box for convenience and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Grand Caravan SXT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info. Would like to wait to about 10k using full synthetic. Of course this is not a $ issue, just want to do what’s right.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
439 Posts
I never wait do a light to come on . I change it when it changes color 😁

·
Super Moderator
25,411 Posts
I never wait do a light to come on . I change it when it changes color 😁
Color, not so bad, but an odor change isn't good. :)

Some oil changes color really quick, Mobil 1 being one of them I believe. Depends on the additives in the additive package for starters.
Author
Mobil 1

Hi Charlie, we double checked with our top formulators, and they confirmed that additive oxidation is a key cause of color change soon after an oil change. But certainly, there are other factors that influence color change including trapped particles.

Reactions: Vanigan

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
840 Posts
My 2009 GCV owners manual states the engine oil change interval should not exceed 10,000Kilometers (6,000miles) or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

It's probably bes tto check what your owners manual states, and follow that.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
589 Posts
I think a good rule is 10,000 miles for synthetic, ~6,000 miles for a synthetic blend, and 3,000 ~ 6,000 miles for a conventional.
I'd recommend changing it every 6 months. I do it in fall and spring, on some vehicles I like to switch from a 5W-30 or 0W-30 in winter to a 5W-30 or 10W-30 in summer. A good rational for the 6 month rule is that, if you aren't driving enough miles to necessitate changing the oil, you probably aren't driving enough miles to heat up the engine to burn off condensation inside the engine. Sitting for long periods or only taking short trips is bad for the oil.
If you're stretching the oil changes out to 6,000-10,000 miles, try to remember to check your oil periodically. Maybe you won't remember to do it monthly, so do it every time you roll 1000 miles and see a bunch of zeros on the odometer. Not changing your oil isn't good, but realistically you could probably go tens of thousands of miles before you did significant damage. Running your oil low will burn up the rings and permanently damage the engine. Keeping it full is the most important thing.

I've got 435,000 miles on my 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager. The engine was rebuilt at 350,000 miles, I had the crankshaft and rod bearing caps off recently and the bearings looked brand new. It's gotten Castrol 5W-30 every 3,000 miles, my stepdad and I used to change it when I was a kid. Now it gets Castrol Syntec High Mileage, every 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

·
Super Moderator
25,411 Posts
My 2009 GCV owners manual states the engine oil change interval should not exceed 10,000Kilometers (6,000miles) or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

It's probably bes tto check what your owners manual states, and follow that.
That's old timers thinking, modern day oils can do better. Some people were using 10,000 km oil changes decades ago with no engine problems. Take a look at the European oil change intervals.
BUT, 10,000 is a nice number to remember and it's safe. Keep on trucking. :)

Reactions: Michalb

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,952 Posts
Water condensation inside of the crankcase is almost zero on modern vehicles. Crankcase is practically sealed.

But yes, oil must be changed even if engine is not run very often.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,952 Posts
That's old timers thinking, modern day oils can do better. Some people were using 10,000 km oil changes decades ago with no engine problems. Take a look at the European oil change intervals.
BUT, 10,000 is a nice number to remember and it's safe. Keep on trucking. :)

No comments.

Protects for up to 20,000 miles between oil changes*

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 advanced full synthetic motor oil is designed to deliver outstanding engine protection and protect critical engine parts for up to 20,000 miles between oil changes.*

Nothing outperforms Mobil 1 in overall performance, a motor oil which comes as standard equipment in many different vehicle models, including select high-performance vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
439 Posts
The reason I change my oil so much is because I do a lot of ldeling ( creates soot ) which in my opinion is severe service . It also gives me a peace at mind .
That's why I make the joking remarks when the color changes 😁

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
589 Posts
I've heard many times that the limitation of modern synthetic oil is the filter needs changed before the oil, and that the additives run out before the the oil breaks down.

Oil is cheaper than piston rings and valve seals though. As a mechanic I do two things, "preventative maintenance", and repairs...🤷

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2019 Grand Caravan SXT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unlike years ago motors today are built so much better. Motor failure is one of the last things you have to worry about. My 07 GC motor was strong with average maintenance, everything else was falling apart.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,952 Posts
I've heard many times that the limitation of modern synthetic oil is the filter needs changed before the oil, and that the additives run out before the the oil breaks down.

Oil is cheaper than piston rings and valve seals though. As a mechanic I do two things, "preventative maintenance", and repairs...🤷
Oil filters have always outlasted the oil itself. As a matter of fact, many still use the ole formula of changing oil filter at every other oil change.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts