The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I came home went to backup to park NO REVERSE . I've been calling all day trying to weigh my options . I can order a reman from Jasper and do it myself .

Or for about the same money Aamoco will rebuild it and give me a 24 month 24 k warranty . Jasper 12 months 12k . Meaning that if it fails I will assume the labor.

I like the idea of doing it myself because I'm not used to anyone besides myself working on my car. On the other hand do I want to spend the time and tie up a rack for a day .

Got some thinking to do . Used salvage yards pick and pulls NOT EVEN AN OPTION.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Check your fluid level?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I often struggle with the do I do it my self and it takes longer or give it some one else and throw a bit extra cash and just get the job done and spend my time doing something else?
I have usually found when I go down the path of just get some one else to do it - I almost in every case find my self redoing at least part of the job because it wasn’t done right.

for me to let some one work on any of my cars they need to be REALLY good.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your fluid level?
First thing I did before I condemned the tranny. I'm glad it went I had a gut feeling I was on borrowed time . I even posted it here a couple weeks ago .

I'm ready to deal with it . I've decided to let the local Amoco deal with it . It goes in tomorrow they said it would take a week.

For what it's going to cost me I can make that in a week and not tie up a bay . I can work on a whole lot of cars in a week $$$$

And the best thing of all is the warranty 24/24 Don't see how I'm going wrong .

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I often struggle with the do I do it my self and it takes longer or give it some one else and throw a bit extra cash and just get the job done and spend my time doing something else?
I have usually found when I go down the path of just get some one else to do it - I almost in every case find my self redoing at least part of the job because it wasn’t done right.

for me to let some one work on any of my cars they need to be REALLY good.
Well I'll trust a nationally renowned company a little further than a local independent. In fact I ran it past a local garage that's ben around for years . Told me they don't touch them

Offered to R&R a used unit . Thanked him for his time immediately skedattled that was enough for me

·
Loveably weird
321 Posts
Make sure Aamco uses the correct fluid.

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
Yes, they may be using Amsoil, best to find out what their practice is.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm sure that they'll use the best they can . They will have to stand behind it for at least two years . Because I'm surely not going to put 24 k on it before that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
make sure you reverse flush your transmission cooler before installing the new transmission

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
make sure you reverse flush your transmission cooler before installing the new transmission
I'm sure Amoco will do all that's necessary to protect their interest .Don't know if you read above post . I'm not going to do it myself. But thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure they will back flush the cooler lines and coolers . Common practice among competent professionals. But when I get it back I have a brand-new radiator waiting for it . Just ordered it from Rock Auto.

That's a common practice I acquired years ago when ever I replace a transmission in my own vehicle .But in this case I might add an additional external trans cooler.

You can't run a tranny too cool unlike an engine. :)

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
The radiator on your 2009 is just a radiator, nothing else. The transmission cooler/ac condenser, like so,
mounts in front of the radiator.

Your radiator has only two hose connections, the inlet and outlet for coolant like so: More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM CU13063.

For shifting patterns, the electronic transmission is sensitive to temperatures per:
and adjusts accordingly. Same would apply to the 6 speed.

As for using ATF+4, or not, (there's a difference) one can ask Aamco here:

Reactions: Pgh_AL

·
Super Moderator
24,417 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts